Hello All

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jamie McKinnell

Hello All

Post by Jamie McKinnell »

Dear All,

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I'm an active member with the Alabama chapter of the SCCA and I'm going to be moving back to Los Angeles sometime in July. I've actually only lived in AL for 2 years, but started autocrossing regularly with the chapter here.

I run a Mini Cooper S in G stock and I'm more than willing to help out with events. (Amongst other things I've been an event chair and safety steward). I'd also love to meet some of the other G stock competitors.

I should be coming out in late July, so I hope to join you for some fun. Can I run for fun for the rest of the year before I purchase a points card?

-Jamie
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Re: Hello All

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Welcome Jaime. Here in Cal Club, one of our popular classes is G-Stock with plenty of competitors to keep you entertained! The Waer (Chuck & Diana) couple are in Mini Cooper. Up against the Jardine Family in the Ford. Also the Schilling family used to do a Mini Cooper (now in A-Stock in a Honda S-2000).

Again welcome to Cal Club.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jamie McKinnell wrote:Dear All,

I just wanted to take a second to introduce myself. I'm an active member with the Alabama chapter of the SCCA and I'm going to be moving back to Los Angeles sometime in July. I've actually only lived in AL for 2 years, but started autocrossing regularly with the chapter here.
Welcome back.

I run a Mini Cooper S in G stock and I'm more than willing to help out with events. (Amongst other things I've been an event chair and safety steward). I'd also love to meet some of the other G stock competitors.
Cool. We can always use more safety stewards. And people who want to jump in/get their hands dirty.
I should be coming out in late July, so I hope to join you for some fun. Can I run for fun for the rest of the year before I purchase a points card?

-Jamie
yep, sure can. you'll just have to run a temporary (600 something - will change every event) and you're points won't get tracked. I'd suggest going ahead and getting the card once you figure out what club you want to join. I'm in CASOC (and we'd love to have you), but feel free to hang out and see where you fit in best. CASOC will be running the July event, 25/26 at El Toro. Will you be here in time for that?

Look forward to meeting you. BTW, I lived in the Memphis, TN/Jackson, MS area for almost 20 years. Didn't get into the autocross scene until I came out here.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Although you're not a newbie to auto-x, please click on the Cal Club logo atop the forums. That will take you to the main site. Then there open up the Adobe PDF file in the NEWBIE GUIDE / INTRODUCTION section titled "Who We Are"
Jamie McKinnell

Sorry, forgot to introduce the car..... Here's Paco.
Attachments
IMGP1673.JPG
IMGP1673.JPG (39.3 KiB) Viewed 5495 times
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Paco looks like he is wearing street rubber instead of R-comps. You should consider the SK2 class instead of GS if you are staying on street tires.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Jamie McKinnell wrote: I've actually only lived in AL for 2 years,
We haven't even started with the Alabama jokes and you're already making excuses
:lol:
Jamie McKinnell

Paco is wearing street rubber --- Kumho ecsta's in that shot.

How does your sk2 class work? The street tire classes out here allow numerous modifications that make my un-modded mini instantly outclassed, so I just stay in G-stock.
I've run R-comps in G-stock a couple of times. Unfortunately, the surface here in birmingham is REALLY rough on tires, so for cost containment, I use street tires most commonly. I'm hoping to run a few events with you guys in the late summer, fall to determine in which class I should run. Any and all advice would be great -- especially since you seem to class differently that I'm used to.

As for the alabama jokes, you can lay them on. I came out here for training in HIV medicine and I'm jumping ship as fast as I can. Nothing could have prepared me for what I encountered when I came here. It still astounds. That said, the ALSCCA has been really great. It is really a good group and has given me good competition and great entertainment.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jamie McKinnell wrote:Paco is wearing street rubber --- Kumho ecsta's in that shot.

How does your sk2 class work? The street tire classes out here allow numerous modifications that make my un-modded mini instantly outclassed, so I just stay in G-stock.
I've run R-comps in G-stock a couple of times. Unfortunately, the surface here in birmingham is REALLY rough on tires, so for cost containment, I use street tires most commonly. I'm hoping to run a few events with you guys in the late summer, fall to determine in which class I should run. Any and all advice would be great -- especially since you seem to class differently that I'm used to.

As for the alabama jokes, you can lay them on. I came out here for training in HIV medicine and I'm jumping ship as fast as I can. Nothing could have prepared me for what I encountered when I came here. It still astounds. That said, the ALSCCA has been really great. It is really a good group and has given me good competition and great entertainment.
The SK1/SK2 classes use the same rules as stock classes, but limit tires to 140 treadwear or numerically higher.
STREET TIRE (SK1 & SK2):
(a) Purpose: To encourage drivers who compete in CSCC SOLO events to race on
the same tires they use on the street. (Also referred to as “Street Stock.”)
(b) Eligibility - SK1 & SK2: Any Stock Class legal car, prepared in accordance with
Para. 13 of the SCCA National SOLO II Rulebook, with the exception that all of the
tires mounted on the car must have a TREADWEAR number of 140 or higher
molded by the manufacturer on the sidewall.
(c) Indexing: Each car competing in the Street Stock class will be indexed in
accordance with the PAX (performance) index. For the sole purpose of team
championship point calculation, times shall also receive an additional “Street Tire”
index (SK) which is listed in Appendix C.
(d) Separate classes:
1) SK1 consists of SS, AS, BS and FS.
2) SK2 consists of CS, DS, ES, GS and HS.
3) Men and Ladies shall compete in separate classes.
(e) Registration: Each Street Stock competitor shall, in addition to listing SK1 or SK2
in the Class block, shall list the class he/she would normally run in (e.g. if a
competitor normally runs CS, he would write SK2 in the Class block and CS in the
Indexed Class block).
(f) Results: Every Street Stock competitor will have their corrected times listed, then
the PAX index for their car, followed by the best 'indexed' time, arrived at by
multiplying their best corrected time by the PAX index number for the cars class
and also the SK index from Appendix C. [Example Calculation: (Best Time) X
(Class Index) X (Street Tire Index) = Final Indexed Time]
(g) Trophies: Trophies will be awarded for each event in accordance with Para. 7.12
We also have other local classes too (although the SK classes seem to be the best fit), see our supp regs at http://solo2.com/MiscDocuments/2009_supp_regs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins