DSP Fiat X1/9 "Starter Kit" - Trade for Motorcycle

Automotive Related, Please.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Anthony P.

Michael Wolf

DSP Fiat X1/9 "Starter Kit" - Trade for Motorcycle

Post by Michael Wolf »

I autocrossed for many years down here and built several Fiat X1/9 cars. Towards the end of my career (ended due to disability) I built my current car as a viable National Champion contender.

I have been trying to sell it for a while, and now know exactly what I want to do with it.

If you are interested in this car, and have a working, driving motorcycle you'd like to trade straight across, this may well be your lucky day.

I literally put close to $10,000 into this car. With what happened to it, and what it needs, I'd easily put the value of this car at $2500 or more, all things considered. I'm looking for that kind of value in a motorcycle. Be it a Harley, a road bike, a crotch rocket, or a classic, I don't care. But it must be a street bike, and it must be capable of at least highway speeds. I prefer shaft driven motorcycles. And I'd rather have a bike capable of at least 100mph (i.e. fast enough to escape rampaging lunatic drivers trying to kill me.)

If you have such a bike, and it is running, or needs only minor work (and no major expense) to get running, contact me, and let's talk. I'm cross posting this wherever I can, so email me at mwolf(at)nethere(dot)com if you are interested.

Here is what you get:

1980 Fiat X1/9. Body is straight with only minor surface, and absolutely no structural rust. Fenders already trimmed and rolled. Interior isn't pretty, but this is a pure autocrosser, for showing up in trophy position, not in style. I have three racing seats for it, two of which are ideal for taller drivers, though one of the pair needs reupholstering. The suspension is modeled after Condrashoft's winning car with two exceptions: I run a sway bar in the front, and have Tokico adjustable shocks in custom-modified VW strut housings. Eibach springs sit upon custom made set-height aluminum perches, and the struts are attached via adjustable camber/caster plates.

There are two engines. The stock motor is in it now, and I am missing one stock injector, which I may find while I am moving. Otherwise, I'm putting a 40mm Weber Downdraft and nitrous fogger system on the street motor (though I won't have the money for NO2 for a while, so don't worry, I'm not going to blow the motor.) The race motor was brand new factory when I got it, then I blue-printed it to DSP limits and balanced it to the microgram. I blew the bearings when, after suffering brain damage, bypassed crankcase ventilation which forced all the oil out and dried the motor at 60mph. It likely needs a crank job but I think the mains are fine. If not, there's the street block which can be bored out to 3rd oversize and decked to specs. The head is already shaved to spec limits for DSP though I think there's wiggle room for decking it if necessary.

The transmission is the rare 1979-1980 with the shorter third gear. 5th gear use is not recommended due to woodruff-key design. But this is an autocross, and no way are you going to need 5th.

Wheels are Pacific Racing Lights, 6 Aluminum 3 piece wheels. Mounted on four are near-new shaved Hoosier Autocrossers that have been stored in ozone proofing since I bought them in 2003.

Spares galore: head, cam and housing, water pumps, alternators, tranny parts galore...you name it, I have it.

All I want for this is a straight across trade, or a trade of a motorcycle plus a little cash. That's it. Okay, maybe I'll entertain other trade possibilities, such as a boat. But no projects, and nothing too big as I'm trying to reduce, not increase, my belongings' footprint.

My situation is, I am disabled, and have been applying for Social Security Disability for 6 years now which is, as you can imagine, hard on my resources (as in, I have almost none left.) I'll certainly take $2500 cash for the car, but with no luck selling it so far, figure this trade will be an opportunity for me to get the car to someone who will campaign it, and get me the motorcycle I have wanted for a while. I am now living in the inland Pacific Northwest.

I can deliver the car at your expense and will include a tow bar for the car (along with the street rims on it now.) If I deliver it, you'll have to pay for a one-way small trailer to get the motorcycle back if you are long distance from me, though I may be able to use a pickup to get the bike. I will deliver it any distance as long as you pay my fuel expense both ways (I have a diesel Suburban, so think 15-20mpg.)

Email me at the above address, or call me at (208) 596-8401 and please mention where you saw the ad.

Thanks!
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Re: DSP Fiat X1/9 "Starter Kit" - Trade for Motorcycle

Post by Bob Pl »

Good luck, maybe post in San Diego also.

http://www.sdsolo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Michael Wolf

Re: DSP Fiat X1/9 "Starter Kit" - Trade for Motorcycle

Post by Michael Wolf »

Thanks Bob.

If I don't sell it, I'm pondering offering up the rims and suspension, and putting the car back on the street. I'd rather see it autocross. All that work I did to make it very nationally competetive - I'd sure see it wasted.