Newbie on board!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Jon Nishikuni
Club: TCC
Car#: 149

Newbie on board!

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Hi All,
Just want to say hey and looking forward to doing Solo 2 events with you all. I'm a total newbie to the sport but I've talked to some people and watched the YouTube vids :) and kinda got a feel of whats what but, I won't really know til I get out there and "dunk my junk".
Anyways, I drive a '04 350Z daily driver. My number is #149 and I'm with Club No$(thanks Thomas!). Keep an eye out for me at El Toro. I'll be the one with the question mark floating above my head :D .
laterz,
Jon Nishikuni
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Newbie on board!

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Welcome!
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Hey Mako,
Yeah, San Diego's a kool town. Also, I like your pics you shot of the recent Fontana AX. Thanks for posting those.

Jon
Dennis R. Brown, DDS
Club: CASOC
Car#: 312

Post by Dennis R. Brown, DDS »

Jon Nishikuni wrote:Hi All,
Just want to say hey and looking forward to doing Solo 2 events with you all. I'm a total newbie to the sport but I've talked to some people and watched the YouTube vids :) and kinda got a feel of whats what but, I won't really know til I get out there and "dunk my junk".
Anyways, I drive a '04 350Z daily driver. My number is #149 and I'm with Club No$(thanks Thomas!). Keep an eye out for me at El Toro. I'll be the one with the question mark floating above my head :D .
laterz,
Jon Nishikuni
Jon,
I drive an '05 350Z (Super Black #312 BS), having started in Feb or March (can't remember which one any longer). Here's what I've learned:
1. Start out in the Novice Class for your first year because if your car is unmodified you would be in B-Stock, and you would have to compete against a multi-National Champ in Jason Isley, and against KJ Christopher who could win the class if not for Isley.
2. Take advantage of the instructors during your first year, which is a perk of being in the Novice class. Instructors like Leonard, John Coffey, and KJ are very helpful, and will teach you how to drive fast by going slow.
3. Do Not Mod your car, if you haven't already. You will have an easier time getting further by learning how to drive your car, as is, first.
4. DO WALK THE COURSE. It's the best way to see what the designer had in mind before you get in your car, especially if it is a Berry (Christine, Tom, etc.) designed course. They usually have a Novice coursewalk during the lunch break, which is led by one of the instructors. They will offer insight into slow and fast areas, and the way to approach these areas.
5. Make your sure your car is safe to run; such as tires, seat belts, brakes, battery covered.
6. Ask questions! Ask questions! Ask questions! Everyone is usually more than happy to help.
7. Seat time is the most important thing to getting better, and the more you get, the better you will become. Try to get into the practice sessions if you can, but the spots are limited and usually go first to the members of the team sponsoring the event. However, on Championship days you can buy X-runs, which will give you 3 more runs for $25.

Look for me at the next event and I can talk to you further.
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm the one driving the "overbloated bling ride"!!!!
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Hi DocBrown!
Wow, a fellow Z driver! I'm surprised that there's not too many of us in here huh? Maybe the other Z drivers are into the sideways stuff. That's pretty popular now. Doc, thanks for the advice. I really could use all that I can get. I have zero seat time so I'm pretty much trying to be like a sponge soaking everything up. It is alot too! I also think I entered my car in the wrong classification. I was going through the rule book to try and class my car and CST seemed to fit except my tires are much higher than the 140 treadwear limits. I think next season I'll invest in some softer tires. Oh well, we'll get a good chuckle when I line up to run. Maybe the techs will re-class my car into the proper classification? I'm not too worried about it, I just don't want to break any rules. Just do my best and have a blast doing it. It'll be "baptism by fire". :)
Doc, I pre registered for the El Toro event. I'll look for you there.
Thanks again,
Jon
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jon Nishikuni wrote:Hi DocBrown!
I was going through the rule book to try and class my car and CST seemed to fit except my tires are much higher than the 140 treadwear limits. I think next season I'll invest in some softer tires.
Jon - what mods have you done to your car?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You missed the Motorsport Z Auto Cross a few months ago: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2009-a ... uto-cross/

Art Rinner, owner of Sunrise Z garage in Glendale is our big "classic" Z rep in CSCC: http://www.sunrisez.net/
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Jon Nishikuni wrote:Hi DocBrown!
Wow, a fellow Z driver! I'm surprised that there's not too many of us in here huh? Maybe the other Z drivers are into the sideways stuff. That's pretty popular now. Doc, thanks for the advice. I really could use all that I can get. I have zero seat time so I'm pretty much trying to be like a sponge soaking everything up. It is alot too! I also think I entered my car in the wrong classification. I was going through the rule book to try and class my car and CST seemed to fit except my tires are much higher than the 140 treadwear limits. I think next season I'll invest in some softer tires. Oh well, we'll get a good chuckle when I line up to run. Maybe the techs will re-class my car into the proper classification? I'm not too worried about it, I just don't want to break any rules. Just do my best and have a blast doing it. It'll be "baptism by fire". :)
Doc, I pre registered for the El Toro event. I'll look for you there.
Thanks again,
Jon
Jon,
If you registered on Axware you can change your registration to Novice. You will be overmatched in CST (there is a Silverstone Z that races in that class already). As long as your tires are over 140 (I believe), and your mods are limited you will be fine in Stock or the Street Tire classes, running as a Novice. Your first year should be to improve the driver, and then you can improve your car after that first year of experience. Like KJ asked, what mods have you already done, but also can those mods be removed for now until you progress further?
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

KJ Christopher wrote: Jon - what mods have you done to your car?
Hi KJ,
The mods I've done are limited slip diff,coilovers, cat-back exhaust, wider tires and wheels and JWT pop charger air filter.
Jon
Last edited by Jon Nishikuni on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Mako Koiwai wrote:You missed the Motorsport Z Auto Cross a few months ago: http://public.fotki.com/makofoto/2009-a ... uto-cross/

Art Rinner, owner of Sunrise Z garage in Glendale is our big "classic" Z rep in CSCC: http://www.sunrisez.net/
Hey Mako, wow, looked like Z heaven. I'll have to keep an eye out for the next one. Thanks!
Jon
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Jon Nishikuni wrote:
Hi KJ,
The mods I've done are limited slip diff,coilovers, wider tires and wheels and JWT pop charger air filter.
Jon

The JWT Pop Charger is ok for stock, the wheels may be ok if the 18" and probably no more than 9" wide. If you are running 265 in the back and 225-245 in the front you should be ok b/c I believe that is in the allowable limit of the stock 350Z wheels. That is if you are in a Touring or Track model because they come with 18 inch wheels. The LSD and the coilovers are going to be problem for Stock. If your tires are rated 140+ you should consider running in the Street Tire class (SK2 I believe). However, make sure you run in the Novice class so you can take full benefit of the Instructors. As a Novice you can run in the Novice class for a full year, which gives you the use of Instructors during every event. The Instructor will run your car the first time through the course to show you the line. The second time through the Instructor will ride shotgun and evaluate your run. You can opt to have the Instructor ride with you for the rest of your runs. Using the Instructors is like getting several hundred dollars of private lessons for free, or at least that is the way one of the Instructors put it to me.
So good luck, and I'll see you at El Toro. Feel free to ask any more questions between now and then. Everyone here at CSCC SOLO is very helpful.
DocBrown
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote: Jon,
If you registered on Axware you can change your registration to Novice. You will be overmatched in CST (there is a Silverstone Z that races in that class already). As long as your tires are over 140 (I believe), and your mods are limited you will be fine in Stock or the Street Tire classes, running as a Novice. Your first year should be to improve the driver, and then you can improve your car after that first year of experience. Like KJ asked, what mods have you already done, but also can those mods be removed for now until you progress further?
Hi DocBrown,
Ok, yes, if I can change my classification to Novice that would be better. My tires are 280 treadwear. I know, way to hard to be competitive. But like you said the first year will be a learning experience. I'll be watching and listening for tips for sure. The mods I've done will be a little difficult to undo so I'll have to deal with that. But thats ok it'll be exciting.
Thanks Doc,
Jon
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:
The JWT Pop Charger is ok for stock, the wheels may be ok if the 18" and probably no more than 9" wide. If you are running 265 in the back and 225-245 in the front you should be ok b/c I believe that is in the allowable limit of the stock 350Z wheels. That is if you are in a Touring or Track model because they come with 18 inch wheels. The LSD and the coilovers are going to be problem for Stock. If your tires are rated 140+ you should consider running in the Street Tire class (SK2 I believe). However, make sure you run in the Novice class so you can take full benefit of the Instructors. As a Novice you can run in the Novice class for a full year, which gives you the use of Instructors during every event. The Instructor will run your car the first time through the course to show you the line. The second time through the Instructor will ride shotgun and evaluate your run. You can opt to have the Instructor ride with you for the rest of your runs. Using the Instructors is like getting several hundred dollars of private lessons for free, or at least that is the way one of the Instructors put it to me.
So good luck, and I'll see you at El Toro. Feel free to ask any more questions between now and then. Everyone here at CSCC SOLO is very helpful.
Doc you are up late huh? Me too but I'm at work right now. LOL. Well, my wheels are 18's but 9.5 w/255 front and 10's w/275 in the back. It's a 'Base' model so not close to stock size anymore. I will definitely go to the Novice classification and ask for an instructor ride along.
Good luck to you too DocBrown! cya at El Toro.
edited: After further review of the rule book and supplemental. I do fit either the STU or CST classification mainly because the size of my wheels and tires.
Last edited by Jon Nishikuni on Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

>>>Instructor Ride Along<<<

You will want one of our many Instructors to drive you around. Most Newbs reaction to being driven is, "Wow ... I didn't know my car could do that!? :shock: Then there was the gal that peed her pants ...

Experiencing what can be done with your car will give you a lot of confidence in it, and really help get you going. We regularly take turns driving each others cars ... and don't abuse them. When you see a Multi National Champ like Ken M take many seconds off your best time, while starting oh so gently, it makes you wonder how much faster he could be if he did use the clutch a bit harder.
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Mako Koiwai wrote:>>>Instructor Ride Along<<<

You will want one of our many Instructors to drive you around. Most Newbs reaction to being driven is, "Wow ... I didn't know my car could do that!? :shock: Then there was the gal that peed her pants ...

Experiencing what can be done with your car will give you a lot of confidence in it, and really help get you going. We regularly take turns driving each others cars ... and don't abuse them. When you see a Multi National Champ like Ken M take many seconds off your best time, while starting oh so gently, it makes you wonder how much faster he could be if he did use the clutch a bit harder.
Mako, I will definitey take full advantage of the instructor ride alongs. I won't have to worry about peeing in my pants, cuz us guys just crap in ours! :lol:
Jon
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jon Nishikuni wrote:
Hi KJ,
The mods I've done are limited slip diff,coilovers, cat-back exhaust, wider tires and wheels and JWT pop charger air filter.
Jon
The LSD and coilovers take you out of stock and SK1. (As will the wheels if they are other than stock size and w/in .25" offset and the air filter if it doesn't fit in the stock housing.)

I'm not entirely familiar with the STU rules, but you might qualify for our local SST class, depending on wheel size (and if the LSD is allowable. I can't keep straight on the ST* rules). CST also works, since it is a run-what-you-brung local class.
kj
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

KJ Christopher wrote: The LSD and coilovers take you out of stock and SK1. (As will the wheels if they are other than stock size and w/in .25" offset and the air filter if it doesn't fit in the stock housing.)
The added LSD would only take you out of stock class if it wasn't a line-item factory option. If it was part of a package, then the ENTIRE package would have to be installed, including the LSD. Also, it has to be an OEM LSD for that year's Z, not an aftermarket one. For example, if you have a Base 350Z and the LSD only came with the Sport model, you would have to add all the parts that are additional in the Sport model to the Base model.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote: The LSD and coilovers take you out of stock and SK1. (As will the wheels if they are other than stock size and w/in .25" offset and the air filter if it doesn't fit in the stock housing.)
The added LSD would only take you out of stock class if it wasn't a line-item factory option. If it was part of a package, then the ENTIRE package would have to be installed, including the LSD. Also, it has to be an OEM LSD for that year's Z, not an aftermarket one. For example, if you have a Base 350Z and the LSD only came with the Sport model, you would have to add all the parts that are additional in the Sport model to the Base model.
I'm assuming you have an aftermarket LSD, since I hear that the stock one sucks rocks.
kj
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

The Leonard that is responding to your post is the Leonard I advise you to use as your instructor. I've learned much from every instructor, but I think Leonard is the best overall Instructor I've had the pleasure to learn from. A very close second would be KJ because he runs in the same class as me, B Stock, and it's great to see how someone from the same class drives the course. KJ was my instructor for the June Solo, and I'm not sure if he's ever driven a Z before, but he beat my best time that day, IN MY OWN CAR, by almost 4 seconds.
It's very easy to get disillusioned and down on yourself when you see the times some of these guys are able to post (especially when they are drive your car and not there's!!!). Another piece of advice I would give to you before you start your Soloing is to stick with it, even when it seems like you are doing terrible. To get good at anything, you need lots and lots of practice. You WILL be discouraged with your times, and you will question whether you will ever be good enough to compete. However, just keep trying and get as much seat time as you can. Become a student of the sport, and learn as much as you can, that is the only way you will get better. Another thing to remember is the fact that we compete in the TOUGHEST SOLO REGION in the entire country. We probably have over a dozen Solo National Champs in our region, and several of those Nat'l Champs are several times over. In fact, in my B Stock class, I have to compete against Jason Isley, whom I believe won the B Stock Championship 6 years in a row (2003-2008). If you become good enough to post times close to, or better than, some of these guys in our region, you could probably go to another region and do VERY WELL.
DocBrown
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You might not be doing great time wise against your class competitors (at first) ... but you WILL BE HAVING FUN ... in a safe environment that allows you to hang it out like no where else.

After five years I'm still not that fast ... blaming the car/tires is always a popular and semi valid excuse, at least in ones own mind ... but I Do Have A Lot Of Fun! Sometimes I ask myself, "what are you doing out here!?" ... but after a few corners you get that huge grin and rush and you Know Why you're out there. It's really easy to tell if you're trying hard enough. If your hand ISN'T shaking when you reach for your Timing Slip at the end of the run ... you weren't going fast enough. That is, fast enough in the fast sections. A lot of people over drive the slow corners and wimp out on the fast sections. It's the fast sections where you make up time.

Lot's of good Auto Cross Tips and video's here: http://www.teamblewracing.com/forum/for ... p?TID=1963
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

I'm not entirely familiar with the STU rules, but you might qualify for our local SST class, depending on wheel size (and if the LSD is allowable. I can't keep straight on the ST* rules). CST also works, since it is a run-what-you-brung local class.
KJ, I won't be able to fit the stock category due to the mods I've done to the car. After reading all your guys posts, thank you very much by the way, I really appreciate the help, I went back and double checked the class requirements and yes, I do fit the STU or CST class. Wheel and tire size was the main cutoff point between STX and STU. For tires STX(2WD)-265 mm and STU(2WD)-285 mm tires. For Wheels STX (2WD)- 9" and STU- unlimited. I'm rolling on 275's wrapped on 10's. LSD is "STX, STU: 2WD vehicles may use any LSD unit". So, I have to go with STU or CST and after looking at the roster for STU maybe better I stay in CST. I hear those Subbies are pretty sticky with the AWD! Hopefully the guys in CST aren't forced induction. :) It did state that air intake system up to but not including the engine inlet may be modified or replaced, but, I'm not sure if CST is their way around this. I'll be indexing myself as novice anyways so hopefully I won't take too bad a thrashing. :D It's all for the rush anyway.
Jon
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Hi Leonard, yeah the mods took me out of stock class completely. LSD is after market. So no way for stock class. I'll be running CST but indexed as Novice. It'll be fun. :D
Jon
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Your Z is not eligible for STU, but if the addons comply with the STU rules you definitely qualify for two of our local class SST, which adopts the STU rules, as well as another local class, CST.

Both classes will be very quick. Don't be discouraged by your results or embarrassed to join us. You *will* have a blast. I remember the first time I drove - slowly - my adrenaline rush was so overwhelming that I almost couldn't walk.

Mike
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:The Leonard that is responding to your post is the Leonard I advise you to use as your instructor. I've learned much from every instructor, but I think Leonard is the best overall Instructor I've had the pleasure to learn from. A very close second would be KJ because he runs in the same class as me, B Stock, and it's great to see how someone from the same class drives the course. KJ was my instructor for the June Solo, and I'm not sure if he's ever driven a Z before, but he beat my best time that day, IN MY OWN CAR, by almost 4 seconds.
It's very easy to get disillusioned and down on yourself when you see the times some of these guys are able to post (especially when they are drive your car and not there's!!!). Another piece of advice I would give to you before you start your Soloing is to stick with it, even when it seems like you are doing terrible. To get good at anything, you need lots and lots of practice. You WILL be discouraged with your times, and you will question whether you will ever be good enough to compete. However, just keep trying and get as much seat time as you can. Become a student of the sport, and learn as much as you can, that is the only way you will get better. Another thing to remember is the fact that we compete in the TOUGHEST SOLO REGION in the entire country. We probably have over a dozen Solo National Champs in our region, and several of those Nat'l Champs are several times over. In fact, in my B Stock class, I have to compete against Jason Isley, whom I believe won the B Stock Championship 6 years in a row (2003-2008). If you become good enough to post times close to, or better than, some of these guys in our region, you could probably go to another region and do VERY WELL.
Doc, I can't wait for El Toro!!!
Jon
Jon Nishikuni

Post by Jon Nishikuni »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Your Z is not eligible for STU, but if the addons comply with the STU rules you definitely qualify for two of our local class SST, which adopts the STU rules, as well as another local class, CST.

Both classes will be very quick. Don't be discouraged by your results or embarrassed to join us. You *will* have a blast. I remember the first time I drove - slowly - my adrenaline rush was so overwhelming that I almost couldn't walk.

Mike
Hi Mike, so, It will be ok to stay in CST class indexed as Novice? And don't be surprised to see me get out and run laps around my car after my first run too!