Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Interior plastic repair question

Post by George Schilling »

The plastic portion of the door panel of the S2000 has developed a crack about 2" long. Does anyone know if this is repairable, if a repair would last, or would it be better to just buy a new door panel? Any suggestions?
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Interior plastic repair question

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Tom D. does this thing with his lighter ... carefully removing scratches by slightly melting the surface, perhaps a bit deeper heat will get the two sides to melt together ... or you can do this: :D (Don Gardner's Scion bumper)
Attachments
Zip-Fix.jpg
Zip-Fix.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 5540 times
George Schilling
Club Representative

Mako Koiwai wrote:Tom D. does this thing with his lighter ... carefully removing scratches by slightly melting the surface, perhaps a bit deeper heat will get the two sides to melt together ... or you can do this: :D (Don Gardner's Scion bumper)
Thas alotta zip ties. :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

3M makes a glue for trim and weatherstripping that would probably do the trick, but it only comes in black and a sickly yellow color. To keep it off the visible side of the panel would require some kind of MacGyver trick; maybe coat it with candle wax. :ibrightdea:

Then again, you could it tape it from the back like I did with a piece of trim in the Outback. :mrgreen:
Dennis R. Brown, DDS
Car#: 312

Post by Dennis R. Brown, DDS »

George Schilling wrote:The plastic portion of the door panel of the S2000 has developed a crack about 2" long. Does anyone know if this is repairable, if a repair would last, or would it be better to just buy a new door panel? Any suggestions?
Just make sure not use "Super Glue" (cyanoacrylate). It will melt the plastic like that lighter idea. It's better to just buy a new part ($$$), or see if you can find one at one of those "U Pick It Salvage Yards". They're great for obscure parts like that. My first car was an Isuzu Impulse, and the windshield wiper brace broke. I could have done without a windshield wiper here in California, but not Florida. The dealership wanted around $225 for the part, but I got it for under $20.

Also, I know for my Z they offer carbon fiber replacements parts from several vendors. You could consider replacing your factory parts with nice, lightweight, beautiful carbon fiber.
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm the one driving the "overbloated bling ride"!!!!
My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son of a bitch
Bob Beamesderfer

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote: Also, I know for my Z they offer carbon fiber replacements parts from several vendors. You could consider replacing your factory parts with nice, lightweight, beautiful carbon fiber.
Welcome to Prepared class! :)
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote: Also, I know for my Z they offer carbon fiber replacements parts from several vendors. You could consider replacing your factory parts with nice, lightweight, beautiful carbon fiber.
Even Cosmetic parts for the interior count towards Prepared? I thought it was just anything aero-related or which greatly reduces body weight. I also know they offer pieces and parts that fit on top of the original parts, does that affect class placement?
DocBrown
http://push.pickensplan.com/profile/DrDennisRBrown" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Dennis R. Brown, DDS wrote:
George Schilling wrote:The plastic portion of the door panel of the S2000 has developed a crack about 2" long. Does anyone know if this is repairable, if a repair would last, or would it be better to just buy a new door panel? Any suggestions?
Just make sure not use "Super Glue" (cyanoacrylate). It will melt the plastic like that lighter idea. It's better to just buy a new part ($$$), or see if you can find one at one of those "U Pick It Salvage Yards". They're great for obscure parts like that. My first car was an Isuzu Impulse, and the windshield wiper brace broke. I could have done without a windshield wiper here in California, but not Florida. The dealership wanted around $225 for the part, but I got it for under $20.

Also, I know for my Z they offer carbon fiber replacements parts from several vendors. You could consider replacing your factory parts with nice, lightweight, beautiful carbon fiber.
Tell you what Dennis.... you find an S2000 at one the "Pick A Part" type yard... and I will pay you a nice finders fee. My guess is that you dont get out to those much any more.

Hey George... call me about your door panal. I can help.
Bob Beamesderfer

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Even Cosmetic parts for the interior count towards Prepared? I thought it was just anything aero-related or which greatly reduces body weight. I also know they offer pieces and parts that fit on top of the original parts, does that affect class placement?
You're not allowed to swap out interior parts in Stock UNLESS you are doing a complete conversion to a different model of the same model year. ST, SP and SM allow steering wheel and seat changes. Decorative add-ons would be legal under Comfort and Convenience.

I second what Tom says. Pick-a-Part doesn't end up with very many low production cars; parts are worth too much on the wholesale market. Even the Miatas I saw there were very badly wrecked. I was incredibly lucky that there was a '99 Outback at the Ontario yard and was able to get the AT and front diff.
Brett King
Car#: 274

Post by Brett King »

There's this model glue ( kinda like crazy glue ) called Zap-A-Gap that I bet would work fine... I've used it on lot's of plastic & rubber things :o

Just don't get any on your finger(s). ;)

May the ribbing begin... :lol:
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

Tom Berry wrote:

Tell you what Dennis.... you find an S2000 at one the "Pick A Part" type yard... and I will pay you a nice finders fee. My guess is that you dont get out to those much any more.

Hey George... call me about your door panal. I can help.
Tom, yeah, I would have to say I haven't been to a Pick A Part place in years, and that was in Florida. I don't know what the places are like here in Cali. Maybe I just found one of the nicer places or something. I remember they had nice cars like 944s, 928s, and other cars like Audi Quattros and BMWs. Most of the cars were either totaled from the front or rear and had decent interiors from what I remember.
BTW, how much would that finder fee be? :computer:
DocBrown
Tom Berry
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Hey George... call me about your door panal. I can help.[/quote]
Tom, yeah, I would have to say I haven't been to a Pick A Part place in years, and that was in Florida. I don't know what the places are like here in Cali. Maybe I just found one of the nicer places or something. I remember they had nice cars like 944s, 928s, and other cars like Audi Quattros and BMWs. Most of the cars were either totaled from the front or rear and had decent interiors from what I remember.
BTW, how much would that finder fee be? :computer:[/quote]
How much would you like it to be?
Dennis R. Brown, DDS

BTW, how much would that finder fee be? :computer:[/quote]
How much would you like it to be?[/quote]
We could start with private lessons, then work our way up to giving Isley the wrong date or directions to the next event. :D
DocBrown
George Schilling
Club Representative

Tom, I know I thanked you personally, but I just noticed this thread searching for another, and though I'd thank you again here. Using the blowtorch to melt the plastic was brilliant and you did a great job on the repair. Thanks again. :thumbup:

George