SCCA membership + points card??

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Dan Shaw
Car#: 427

SCCA membership + points card??

Post by Dan Shaw »

Hey,

I haven't been autoXing since the end of the 2007 season. I read up on the solo2 page about having to have a SCCA membership to run? I just ordered my points card but was unaware if I had to do something else as this wasn't how I remembered it. Could someone clairfy for me what I need to sign up for?

Thanks.

--Dan Shaw
427 SK2CS
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Re: SCCA membership + points card??

Post by Q V »

Yup, SCCA membership is required now. I believe it started in 2008.

You can get a weekend membership @ the next event for $15. This amount can go toward your discount, and if you put in the member referral that is on the list, you get another $15 back.

Or you can get one online now, up to you.

The points card just allows you to run for season points & also not have to get a random 6XX number each event.
Dan Shaw

Post by Dan Shaw »

Yiesh. Guess I'm waiting to run then. Don't have 75 bucks to throw at it right now. I suppose I don't see the point of the SCCA thing since I'm not a club racer and won't be expecting to compete at nationals. Just regionals. ::shrug:: gotta pay to play.

Thanks for the reply!
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Dan Shaw wrote:Yiesh. Guess I'm waiting to run then. Don't have 75 bucks to throw at it right now. I suppose I don't see the point of the SCCA thing since I'm not a club racer and won't be expecting to compete at nationals. Just regionals. ::shrug:: gotta pay to play.

Thanks for the reply!
Hi Dan.

If the $15 temp membership is the sticking point for getting you out there for the Friday practice, I'd be happy to pay that for you just to get you out there again. It pains me to see a man of your talent sitting on the sidelines. Hope to see you there. BTW, What are you driving these days?

George
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Dan Shaw wrote:Yiesh. Guess I'm waiting to run then. Don't have 75 bucks to throw at it right now. I suppose I don't see the point of the SCCA thing since I'm not a club racer and won't be expecting to compete at nationals. Just regionals. ::shrug:: gotta pay to play.

Thanks for the reply!

Just FYI but the $15 really is not about club racing or Nationals. SCCA covers the insurance and some other overhead that all autocrossers running under the SCCA umbrella use. If Cal Club was not part of SCCA, they would have to purchase their own insurance and then charge everyone more for it. You get other benefits from belonging to SCCA, but one of the main ones is you are paying $75 to be insured for the year.

Not to suggest it is not a lot of money, just trying to explain the reason a little. Cheers.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Dan Shaw

Post by Dan Shaw »

Hey!

Good to see some more familiar names. :)

Randy, thank you for the explanation. I didn't know where that was going. Makes the pill easier to swallow. :thumbup:

George, believe it or not the Miata is still my weapon of choice. close to 170k on it, but it'll be seeing action again pretty soon. I don't think (with my retail schedule, holiday and all) I'll clear practice but I'm going to try. If not at worst I'll start in January. I have a few loose ends I want to settle on the Miata before I come back out with it. I need to sell my motorcycle first to clear expenses on getting the Miata prepped. Track days were fun!

See you all again soon. Thanks Quoc-Viet for the quick response. Wasn't expecting one that fast.
2017 MX-5 - #427 ???