Getting started (A classic wants to race again.)

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Evan Wood

Getting started (A classic wants to race again.)

Post by Evan Wood »

When i bought my Z i was told it had a history and was a Scarab Z that was build from a 432z (so far the little research i have done had proved the 432z part bogus it has the right parts but the VIN is wrong) at best its a relplicar 432z that was a Scarab. The vin matches to it being an early 72 or late 71... The story from the previous owner was, the car was a SCCA Rally car before a collector bought it and then garaged it then sold it... needless to say I suspect most of this is BS but i have no way to prove or disprove any of it. (I am sure SCCA has records on VINs some where.)

So my question, I am new to this and trying to convert a avid car hobby into a real weekend sporting event for me... when i tried to get into SCCA about 7 years ago before i left for the military, I had a car we build for I believe what was then (2002) the unlimited class that allowed all street-legal cars with unlimited displacement.... i see that this class is deleted.... where does a 1972 Scarab 240z fit in? its a classic Car with a classic mod.... it has full updated suspension. How do i class this car? where in the rules is there allowance for this type of car?

Short summery: Historic Scarab Z ( 72 Datsun 240z with a V-8 (327ci, 5.3l) done by a California builder), (Purchased it in 1999) it has extensive suspension work to update it (Coil overs), a 432ZR hood (JDM part/NA Datsun Race team Part only) and a ZG nose (JDM Part/NA Dealer Part). What classes can this car fit into? What classes can i put this car with with modifications? What classes can i put it in with removeal of parts (ZG nose/432ZR hood)?
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Re: Getting started (A classic wants to race again.)

Post by Robert Puertas »

Locally, you can run CST (on street tires) or CSM (on dot-R compound tires) or if you want to run real slicks, or at a National event, XP or EM.
Evan Wood

Post by Evan Wood »

Places and locations where do i get what safety gear do i need to get going?
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Evan Wood wrote:Places and locations where do i get what safety gear do i need to get going?
Safety gear is pretty much working seatbelts and a SA- or M-rated helmet. If your belts work, you can either go to a bricks-and-mortar speedshop or online (if you're willing to gamble on fit) for a helmet. You should be able to get a M2005 open-face helmet for $125-150, or less.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.