Cordless Impact Wrenches

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Suren Yegiazaryan

Cordless Impact Wrenches

Post by Suren Yegiazaryan »

I"m in the market for an Impact to make wheel changes quicker.

I Just got back from the event at El Toro and I noticed somebody using a cordless impact to take their lug nuts off. It was a Miata I believe with some Enkeis and the impact wrench was blue in color. I should've just stopped by and asked the gentleman what type it was but I didn't and now I'm wondering what kind of wrenches are used out there that have enough torque to get 80 - 90 ft/lb torqued lug nuts off and are still decently priced?
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Re: Cordless Impact Wrenches

Post by Bill Martin »

I used to use a big Milwaukee. But all that impacting is hard on lugnuts. Now I break with a star wrench and spin off with any cordless drill.

Big Red definitely gets the job done. Price, not so attractive.

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-0779-22 ... 766&sr=1-3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Stimson
Club: PSCC
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

There is a "Goodyear" brand blue and yellow (?) impact wrench that I think is sold at Pep Boys and maybe other chains. Those are pretty cheap and work for people. It is probably comparable in quality and function to some of the products offered at harborfreight.com. I have a 12V DeWalt that is lighter, but still has enough torque to take off Miata and S2000 lug nuts (which are tightened to 80 ft*lbs). A little more expensive, but also a little nicer. I got mine as a reconditioned unit with full warranty at tylertool.com.
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

That might have been us. We use one that's not top of the line, but still decent. It'll only break loose the nuts on a topped off charge, but the speed of the impact is MUCH faster than a standard drill. Plus it saves us the 'snug' step before lowering the car and torquing the nuts. It doesn't sound like much, but I bet we're saving 1/3 to 1/2 of the time.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Being the cheap guy that I am, I like a bargain. I own both the Goodyear ( which is not longer available) and the one that replaced it at Pep Boys, the Great Neck brand. Both are 24v drivers. I never had any trouble breaking lugs nuts with either gun (oops, I used the would gun but I'm not calling for you to be murdered), but the Great Neck clearly has more torque and nut busting power. I'd give the Great Neck a shot (darn, I used the word shot....didn't mean anything by it). Normal price is around $90, but they often have it on sale for $70. This last Christmas they also offered a $20 rebate bringing it down to $50. Keep this one in you cross-hairs (by cross-hairs I mean identify and stay focused on it) and look for the sale.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Suren Yegiazaryan

Post by Suren Yegiazaryan »

Thanks guys I appreciate all the replies.

The Milwuakee is a 1/3 the cost of my car LOL so I'll have to pass on those top-of-the-line wrenches. I just can't afford them at this time.

Jayson, what kind of wrench was it that you guys were using?

The Great Neck sounds very attractive at the price point and power. Thanks George for posting your experience, that's exactly what I was looking for. Something in the $100 range is perfect and if I can find a deal that'll be amazing @ $70 for something so powerful.

Pep-Boys here I come ! :computer: