Track tool set recommendation

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Theo O.

Track tool set recommendation

Post by Theo O. »

I need a recommnedation for a complete tool set that should cover most track needs. What do you guys have/bring with you to the track? Is harbor freight stuff good enough or I should just buck up and go to sears?

Also, what types of spare parts should one have on hand at the track?
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Track tool set recommendation

Post by George Schilling »

Theo Osifeso wrote:I need a recommnedation for a complete tool set that should cover most track needs. What do you guys have/bring with you to the track? Is harbor freight stuff good enough or I should just buck up and go to sears?

Also, what types of spare parts should one have on hand at the track?
Depends on what you expect to break. I'll be bringing axles and a differential to Lincoln along with the tools to install them. While Harbor Freight tools aren't the greatest quality, most are adequate for a hobbyist. The HF rachets stink. Their aluminum jack stands are nice. $30 a pair with coupon. Get on their email list. Anything that can't be changed quickly or requires special tools would probably not be practical changing at the event.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Actually, I really like the HF composite rachets. They are blue/black. Very ergonomic and lightweight.
I know quite a few guys with nothing but highend tool brands in the chest that have given in to the beauty of these cheapies....

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth ... 66313.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Randy Chase
Club: PSCC
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

Theo Osifeso wrote: Also, what types of spare parts should one have on hand at the track?

Fuel Injector o-rings. :)
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Randy Chase wrote:
Theo Osifeso wrote: Also, what types of spare parts should one have on hand at the track?

Speaking from experience? Such a small thing can really be a bummer :thumbup:

This actually got me thinking :geek:, where are the fuel injectors on my E36? :? Given 200k+ miles, I shouldn't be surprised when they fail.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

My list for part's so far
===================
1. Extra O2 sensor (Good thing my car only has one)
2. Swaybar end links
3. Rear shock lower bolt (I manage to break one once)
4. Spare coil pack (At least 1 or 2)

Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Back when I had a car, I carried the most-used sizes of sockets and Gear wrenches, a couple of ratchets, flex handle, couple of screw drivers, nut drivers, spring-clamp pliers [for those PITA clamps Mazda uses on water and fuel hoses], Rescue Tape, cable ties, tire valve cores and tool

Spares included couple different sizes of spring clamps [yes they're PITA but they keep constant pressure over the life of the hose from what Doganis says, so I'm a convert], those small Miata water hoses that you can't get at Pimp Boyz, fluids, fuses. If I were going to an away race I'd take another set of brake pads. My car didn't break like Bill's so I didn't need to haul as much stuff. }:)

Damn I miss my car. :(
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

George Schilling wrote:Their aluminum jack stands are nice. $30 a pair with coupon. Get on their email list. Anything that can't be changed quickly or requires special tools would probably not be practical changing at the event.
Theo, I have an extra pair of HF aluminum jackstands, if you want them. Let me know and I'll bring them to the event on Sat./Sun.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Randy Chase wrote:

Oddly enough Randy, I had those on my truck. Bill just never asked me. You never know what a plumber might have with him.

I also carry valve core stems, tire plugs and nitrogen for a quick tire fix. `
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Patch aka "McGiever" is my hero when it comes to being prepared for anything. :gpower:

Anytime I needed something Patch would have it. :thumbup:

Emergency repair kit should include emergency tape, duct tape, zip ties, and JB Weld. :ibrightdea:
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Here's one of my new favorites:

http://www.rescuetape.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Available through Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Rescue-Tape-RP256 ... B000ZTM734" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Make sure you have a spare diff bolt too:
#17 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I also suggest you remove the diff bolt that's currently in your car and notch the end of it so you can use a screwdriver to easily remove the broken bolt. May as well do it on your spare bolt too.

Always have spare wheel studs and lugnuts (or a spare bolt or two if you're still using bolts.)

Mike
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

George Schilling wrote:
Randy Chase wrote:

Oddly enough Randy, I had those on my truck. Bill just never asked me. You never know what a plumber might have with him.

I also carry valve core stems, tire plugs and nitrogen for a quick tire fix. `
We walked around and both asked many people, but half the people were running or working... and we only had a very short time to fix the car. I kept asking Bill to let me try my crazy idea of hand making an o-ring. I used the words "humor me" and "if nothing else, it will keep me busy." :) I swear I could have done it on the by just rubbing it on the concrete as an abrasive too.
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Some nice "Dual Marked" Crapsman tools are on sale at Sears right now for $59 + Tax/Shipping (or pickup)
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 0383&aff=Y
Toby Larsson
Former CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Toby Larsson »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Make sure you have a spare diff bolt too:
#17 here: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=33&fg=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And I also suggest you remove the diff bolt that's currently in your car and notch the end of it so you can use a screwdriver to easily remove the broken bolt.
Agree on the diffbolt, they are such a weak point I don't think I would even re-install a used bolt.
http://www.elitetint.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.osgiken.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Richard Jung
Car#: 71

Post by Richard Jung »

Hey Theo,

As far as a toolset, I received one of those 200+ piece sets as a gift. It came in a flat fold out case where everything snaps into place. I found having an organized set is waaay easier to use and pack at a race than anything I could bring from my rollaway. It also has been borrowed many times. :) Costco has it for 1/2 the $ of the link:
http://www.gotgreattools.com/crescent-2 ... l-set.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rick
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Richard Jung wrote:Hey Theo,

As far as a toolset, I received one of those 200+ piece sets as a gift. It came in a flat fold out case where everything snaps into place. I found having an organized set is waaay easier to use and pack at a race than anything I could bring from my rollaway. It also has been borrowed many times. :) Costco has it for 1/2 the $ of the link:
Rick
+1 for this set. I have the exact same set at work and my set, just like Rick's gets borrowed A LOT!
It's a decent set but what makes it nicer than the $99/199 200-piece Craftsman box is that you can actually open it without having all the tools spill out.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

I need a recommnedation for a complete tool set that should cover most track needs.
MC or Visa with a $25,000 limit.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

John Coffey wrote:
I need a recommnedation for a complete tool set that should cover most track needs.
MC or Visa with a $25,000 limit.
:lol: funny, but not sure how this will help. But then I would have paid $25,000 for an O2 sensor in Wendover :cry:
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

funny, but not sure how this will help. But then I would have paid $25,000 for an O2 sensor in Wendover
Money solves all race car problems. For about $1,000 of that credit card limit you could have had a local mechanic pick up the O2 sensor, drive out to the event, and install it on your car. You wouldn't have needed any tools at all.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

I second the spare lug nuts and wheels studs. I carry a set of metric thread files from Snap-On.
Tire valve core tool and spare cores.
Tire plug kit.
I've got a tool box full of ratchet handles from 1/4" to 1/2" drive, sockets from 8mm to 21mm, plus 23mm and 24mm for the diff and transmission fill plugs on my car. Lots of extensions.
Two trays of metric box wrenches (so I always have a pair of the same size).
Large and small adjustable wrenches
Grease
electrical tape
duct tape
zip ties.
diagonal cutters
needle nose pliers
channel lock pliers
etc
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

John Stimson wrote:I second the spare lug nuts and wheels studs.
And the tools needed to change a lug stud. My truck needed a 7mm allen to get the caliper off, and a mini sledge to pound out the lug stud. Not things easily found at 6:30am.

Jay W
John Stimson

Post by John Stimson »

True -- the S2000 requires pressing out the wheel bearing! Which is why I have thread files and haven't bothered to buy spare studs. If more than one ever snaps off, I am toast. I figure I can limp it home if I have 4 out of 5 studs intact.
John Stimson

Post by John Stimson »

On the other hand, all sorts of things look like hammers if you didn't bring an actual hammer...can't help you with the 7mm Allen key though.
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

George Schilling wrote: Depends on what you expect to break. I'll be bringing axles and a differential to Lincoln along with the tools to install them. While Harbor Freight tools aren't the greatest quality, most are adequate for a hobbyist. The HF rachets stink. Their aluminum jack stands are nice. $30 a pair with coupon. Get on their email list. Anything that can't be changed quickly or requires special tools would probably not be practical changing at the event.
Haha...
530_small.JPG
530_small.JPG (478.44 KiB) Viewed 8554 times
John you can change studs on the S2K w/o pressing out the bearings, or did I misunderstand you?
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

I bought a second Dewalt battery powered light and a 2 gal battery powered wet/Dry vacuum for this year Jason, haha.