If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Crystal Nassouri

Post by Crystal Nassouri »

Hi Everyone,
New to the forum - I moved to Los Angeles from Detroit and have a little bit of autox experience, and a lot of car experience (Engineer at GM) and am looking to really get into it this summer.
Are the events posted on the main page the ones everyone usually go to? I was hoping to catch a few a little earlier, maybe this weekend.

I have a 98 VW GTI VR6 with the Bilstien coils and struts. Other than that no major mods.

Thanks!
Crystal
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Re: New Member

Post by Max Hayter »

Crystal - our next event is the Divisional on June 26-27th.

The San Diego region has an event on June 12 if you can't wait that long.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sounds like a perfect FSAE West recruit!

Welcome to the region Crystal. SoCal is very active year round between the LA and San Diego solo regions and all the marquee clubs and track days. Plenty of great driving opps and lots of top drivers to learn from. See you this summer!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Welcome aboard.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

oh... And watch out for George.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

There's always Lone Pine this weekend (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3827" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

just depends how badly you want to autox.
Crystal Nassouri

I was thinking about the novice driving school in San Diego this weekend. I might check out the event down there on the 12th too.
Would it be okay to run in the Championship event at the end of the month as a novice? I saw on the main page that there were no novice class, but in the forum post for the event, it says that novices run with their classes.

Steve -Was also thinking about volunteering for the upcoming event. Actually I am working on my Master's at USC and know they have a team there. I tried to get involved this past year but their meeting times conflicted with my class sched. Going to try again this year.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Novices run in their Class, but if entered as a Novice, you will get "lumped" together with the other Novices in the Results.

See our Event Results: viewforum.php?f=27

Did you only change out your shocks, or shocks AND springs?

Welcome to one of the most Active Solo areas in the country! Some folks manage to AX 14 out of 15 weekends at certain times of our year around schedule! :thumbup:
Doug Kott
Car#: 300

Post by Doug Kott »

Welcome aboard, Crystal! (And welcome to the SoCal area in general). You're going to really enjoy the El Toro MCAS venue, with miles of runway and grippy textured concrete. Let's hope that the planned "Great Park" never gets built there so we can use it for a long time.

--Doug
Crystal Nassouri

Mako - Struts and springs, she's lowered about an inch :mrgreen:
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What do you think guys ... STX?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

CST! :-)
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I think she actually qualifies for ST too, as the '98 VR6 displaces 2.8 liters. But the competition would be less brutal in STX. And as QV points out, CST is also an option.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I think she actually qualifies for ST too, as the '98 VR6 displaces 2.8 liters. But the competition would be less brutal in STX. And as QV points out, CST is also an option.
Even less brutal in CST.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Crystal Nassouri

Do tires/wheels count as mods? I have street tires, 205 40 16
Q V
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Q V »

There are different tire/wheel limitations depending on the class you want to run. As far as I can tell, your current tire/wheel setup is eligible for the classes mentioned in this thread.

more info on car/rules: http://www.scca.com/contentpage.aspx?content=61" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

CST is a nice catch-all class where the rules are simple: The car needs to be registered and street legal, and you must run 140 treadwear or higher street tires. No restrictions other than that.

It's good for folks who don't want to build a car to a particular class...sort of a "run what you brung" deal....but it is a local class that's not nationally recognized.

--Doug
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

Doug Kott wrote:CST is a nice catch-all class where the rules are simple: The car needs to be registered and street legal, and you must run 140 treadwear or higher street tires. No restrictions other than that.

It's good for folks who don't want to build a car to a particular class...sort of a "run what you brung" deal....but it is a local class that's not nationally recognized.

--Doug
...and where Doug is currently the king of the hill ;)
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Doug Kott

Post by Doug Kott »

Theo Osifeso wrote:
Doug Kott wrote:CST is a nice catch-all class where the rules are simple: The car needs to be registered and street legal, and you must run 140 treadwear or higher street tires. No restrictions other than that.

--Doug
...and where Doug is currently the king of the hill ;)
Thanks...but where Theo kicked my butt last time! :D