Upcoming Cal Club Time Trials

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Upcoming Cal Club Time Trials

Post by Mako Koiwai »

A number of folks asked to be kept informed when the next SCCA Cal Club Time Trials were going to be held. The next ones are Sept. 4 & 5th @ Buttonwillow. This might be too close to Nationals for some ...

http://www.calclub.com/time-trials.php

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Re: Upcoming Cal Club Time Trials

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Mako Koiwai wrote:A number of folks asked to be kept informed when the next SCCA Cal Club Time Trials were going to be held. The next ones are Sept. 4 & 5th @ Buttonwillow. This might be too close to Nationals for some ...

I'd say the weekend of the Finale is a little close, haha. ;)
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

text & pictures don't match 100%

"non-wheel-to-wheel" environment? :D
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I think those guys were in the Advance Group 4 :?
Jamie Lessie

Post by Jamie Lessie »

cost?
http://www.freewebs.com/rotaryinfo/bewa ... rotary.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Karen can't find the link for the upcoming Time Trials registration ... but she paid $165 for the weekend at CA Speedway. (NASA was something like $160/DAY). Six 20 minute sessions. $60 for the Transponder ... which wasn't mandatory, but it WAS neat to get a print out of the times minutes after the session ended.

Instructors were optional and available ... the ear piece/microphone set-up between Instructor and Student is a nice touch. Works with ones personal helmet.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

I went and had a blast. It was my first time out on a track. The first day we had about 10-11 cars each session, and on Sunday we only had 7-8 cars each session, so traffic was really never an issue. It was ridiculously hot, but other than that I really don't have any complaints.

Here's a link to my youtube page where I have some videos:
http://www.youtube.com/user/stuy486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm pretty sure I have a warped rotor, so it looks like I'm going to have to get that replaced. You might notice the vibration under braking in the longer videos from Sunday.

From the prices I've seen for other track days, I'd say this was a steal at $165!
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

Jeff Stuart wrote: I'm pretty sure I have a warped rotor, so it looks like I'm going to have to get that replaced. You might notice the vibration under braking in the longer videos from Sunday.
Do some research on "warped rotors" before you plunk down any money. I've read some stuff that indicates it darned hard to thermally "warp" brake rotors. The "pulsing pedal under heaving braking" can apparently be caused by non-uniform deposits of brake pad material on the rotors which causes the rotor have different friction levels in different spots on the disk. Try following the pad manufacturer's process to "bed" new brake pads. That can sometimes fix things up.

see for example,
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was experiencing a very noticeable "pulsing pedal" during my last track day, but it went away on it's own after a while.

I'm not an expert on this, just a sceptic.

steve
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Steve Collins wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote: I'm pretty sure I have a warped rotor, so it looks like I'm going to have to get that replaced. You might notice the vibration under braking in the longer videos from Sunday.
Do some research on "warped rotors" before you plunk down any money. I've read some stuff that indicates it darned hard to thermally "warp" brake rotors. The "pulsing pedal under heaving braking" can apparently be caused by non-uniform deposits of brake pad material on the rotors which causes the rotor have different friction levels in different spots on the disk. Try following the pad manufacturer's process to "bed" new brake pads. That can sometimes fix things up.

see for example,
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_wa ... disk.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was experiencing a very noticeable "pulsing pedal" during my last track day, but it went away on it's own after a while.

I'm not an expert on this, just a sceptic.

steve
Thanks, I actually read that article a few days ago, it's a great read. I get the sense my rotors are in pretty bad shape, so I think I'm just going to get new rotors and pads on all corners and then I'll actually know the state of everything (I bought the car used 4k miles ago). The stock pads got thoroughly fried as well, so I need to get new ones anyways. I'd rather have nice fresh rotors to bed them on rather than ones that are already pretty uneven.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Do you know about the MazdaSpeed program? Great price
savings although Jeff Wong & Nicole/ProParts I believe match their prices for rotors and pads. Very fast delivery also
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Do you know about the MazdaSpeed program? Great price
savings although Jeff Wong & Nicole/ProParts I believe match their prices for rotors and pads. Very fast delivery also
Yeah, I'm signed up with MazdaSpeed, but I'll get in contact with Jeff/Nicole first, I'd rather give them my business. Thanks Mako.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:Do you know about the MazdaSpeed program? Great price
Yeah, I'm signed up with MazdaSpeed, but I'll get in contact with Jeff/Nicole first, I'd rather give them my business. Thanks Mako.
Make sure they understand you run in a stock class when you order so you get the right parts. (Can't assume they will remember.)
2010 Rule Book wrote:13.6 BRAKES
A. The make and material of brake linings may be changed.
B. Substitution of clutch and brake hydraulic lines with solid metal or braided metal is allowed on all cars manufactured before model year 1992.
C. Alternate brake bleeder fittings, such as “Speedbleeders,” are permitted. They may serve no other purpose.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins