what is CSM?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Casey Brier
Club: CASOC
Car#: 806

what is CSM?

Post by Casey Brier »

sorry guys, I hate to ask, but I did a search, I cant find it anywhere.

What is allowed in CSM? :ibrightdea:
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Re: what is CSM?

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

It's in the Supp Regs, which are still on an '07 version, but I don't think anything in CSM has changed

http://www.solo2.com/MiscDocuments/2007_supp_regs.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's meant to be a nearly wide open class. Used to be regional 'Street Mod' until National made a class with that name, so we switched to California Street Mod. Real restriction is 'Capable of being licensed', which is pretty vague, but seems to be holding up to any scrutiny. An important part to me though is DOT tires, as slicks couldn't be licensed.

Jay W
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

thats good enough for me. I am just trying to find a class my friends can run in next month. they all have different cars with their own mild mods. and of course they would like to run together. they will not be competitive what so ever. can any car run CSM. (meaning an evo, and an RX-7, and a miata... etc.)
"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

... reading the link... yeah its pretty open.

as long as it can be registered. :thumbup:
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Casey Brier wrote:thats good enough for me. I am just trying to find a class my friends can run in next month. they all have different cars with their own mild mods. and of course they would like to run together. they will not be competitive what so ever. can any car run CSM. (meaning an evo, and an RX-7, and a miata... etc.)
yep.
Randy Chase
Car#: 98

Post by Randy Chase »

This is CSM

:)
http://www.chasecam.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; VIDEO + DATA
Official provider to SCCA ProRacing, V8Supercars, Mazdaspeed, and more....
http://www.theadrenalinegallery.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Your California dealer for Rossion and Caterham
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

no... that car is just plain wicked. :) :thumbup:
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Casey Brier wrote:thats good enough for me. I am just trying to find a class my friends can run in next month. they all have different cars with their own mild mods. and of course they would like to run together. they will not be competitive what so ever. can any car run CSM. (meaning an evo, and an RX-7, and a miata... etc.)
You guys could all run SM2 or XP or AM together!
But CSM and SM2 are the best bets, assuming all the cars are registerable.
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

sorry for bringing a dead post back to life.

I read the rules for CSM and they are very vague

CALIFORNIA STREET MODIFIED (CSM)
Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in
California, shall be run on DOT approved tires and must meet all SCCA
Solo2 Safety requirements.

reading this makes me think one of two things.

1) the car NEEDS to be in a condition that if a DMV officer (or highway patrol officer) were to pull you over there would be nothing about it that is illigal. no headers that are not CARB legal, no intakes that are not CARB legal, no porting, nada.

2) or it makes me think as long as you some way some how got it registered, you can race it. meaning you fudged the smog check, and if you were to get pulled over you can get busted for that sweet non CARB legal intake or ported head......

which way does CSM allow. super strict, or almost a "run what you brung" (assuming you have registration in the glove box).
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

nah, all that smog legal crap is in ST. CSM is run what you brung. Just no mod cars.
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

Run what ya brung as long as it has DOT tires and its not a mod car..... gotcha, thanks!
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$

Post by KJ Christopher »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:It's meant to be a nearly wide open class. Used to be regional 'Street Mod' until National made a class with that name, so we switched to California Street Mod. Real restriction is 'Capable of being licensed', which is pretty vague, but seems to be holding up to any scrutiny. An important part to me though is DOT tires, as slicks couldn't be licensed.
Marshall Grice wrote:nah, all that smog legal crap is in ST. CSM is run what you brung. Just no mod cars.
Interesting though that we seem to have two 'capable' standards:

For tires - must be DOT, because you can't register without it.
For everything else - it is assumed that you are "capable" of finding someone to give you a CA registration.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

KJ Christopher wrote: Interesting though that we seem to have two 'capable' standards:

For tires - must be DOT, because you can't register without it.
For everything else - it is assumed that you are "capable" of finding someone to give you a CA registration.
the dot tires is a seperate requirement from 'street legal-ness' just like the solo safety rules have no bearing on street legal-ness.

per the sups "Vehicles eligible for CSM must be capable of being licensed for street use in
California, shall be run on DOT approved tires and must meet all SCCA Solo2
Safety requirements."
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

yeah I have ready that over and over again..... i still think it can be take either way.

if you take it litteral "must be capable of being licensed for street use in
California" means NOTHING can be done that would cause it to not be licensed in california.

to be licensed in california you need to be able to pass smog. to pass smog you can not have ANYTHING done to the ca that is not CARB legal.

which would make this a stock class with open rules minus power stuff. any shocks, any springs, and body mods, anything..... as long as it does not affect that smogability.

I am not trying to start anything here.... it does not even effct me as I run CSP and don't plan to move. I just wanted to know what class all of my friends could run in so they can run together. and it looks like it is CSM..... but then I started to wonder what REALLY fit into CSM as the rules (to me) are VERY unclear. :computer: dont mind me, i am just a guy with to much time on his hands. :)
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Casey Brier wrote:yeah I have ready that over and over again..... i still think it can be take either way.

if you take it litteral "must be capable of being licensed for street use in
California" means NOTHING can be done that would cause it to not be licensed in california.

to be licensed in california you need to be able to pass smog. to pass smog you can not have ANYTHING done to the ca that is not CARB legal.

which would make this a stock class with open rules minus power stuff. any shocks, any springs, and body mods, anything..... as long as it does not affect that smogability.

I am not trying to start anything here.... it does not even effct me as I run CSP and don't plan to move. I just wanted to know what class all of my friends could run in so they can run together. and it looks like it is CSM..... but then I started to wonder what REALLY fit into CSM as the rules (to me) are VERY unclear. :computer: dont mind me, i am just a guy with to much time on his hands. :)

Casey, it means you could somehow get the car licensed for street use. Pretty much the only thing that keeps out are mod cars.
Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Post by Glenn Duensing »

Need to go back to this from the 2003 supp regs:

Any car which complies with Street Prepared Catagory Rules, with the following
exceptions/allowances:
(1) Engines and drive trains are un restricted - including engine swaps, air induction,
carburetion/fuel injection, transmissions, drive shafts, and rear
ends/axles/differentials.
(2) Suspension is un restricted - Any modification is allowed.
(3) Electrical system - Must have operational tail lights, brake lights, headlights, wipers
and turn signals. Instrumentation is
unrestricted.
(4) Bodywork:
(a) Body panels (including hoods, fenders & trunk lids), may be substituted with
panels of alternate materials.
(b) Hood scoops are allowed.
(c) Spoilers and/or wings are unrestricted.
(d) Must have a minimum of two seats. (rear seats may be removed)

As you can see it never said it had not be licensed in California. Where the current wording came from I don't know. It's not in the minutes.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Glenn Duensing wrote:Need to go back to this from the 2003 supp regs:

exceptions/allowances:
(1) Engines and drive trains are un restricted - including engine swaps, air induction,
(3) Electrical system - Must have operational tail lights, brake lights, headlights, wipers
unrestricted.
(4) Bodywork:
(a) Body panels (including hoods, fenders & trunk lids), may be substituted with

As you can see it never said it had not be licensed in California. Where the current wording came from I don't know. It's not in the minutes.
I have an idea, why not call it XP?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Glenn Duensing wrote:Need to go back to this from the 2003 supp regs:

exceptions/allowances:
unrestricted.
(4) Bodywork:

I have an idea, why not call it XP?
Because it requires DOT tires. Don't know why that is missing in Glenn's copy, it was in the original creation of the class. Is this class really broke?
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Isn't your average non-yellow DMod car eligible for registration in CA also?
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

Having run CSM off and on for almost a decade, its an informal "run whatchya brung" class for something that can be or might have been driven on the street. DOT-R tires are required via competitor agreement. My understanding about the current class philosophy is a place for people to run their modified car without fear of rules. Most competitors are (were) pretty laid back about what can compete in the class.
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

I'm still confused as to why CSM needs DOT-R's.

If you're running A6's or V710's, run in SM, SM2, XP, DM or EM.
Bob Tunnell seems to think the DOT's are faster than slicks, at least on the heavier cars...
I'd bet you'd have to be well under a ton for the slicks to be the preferred option.

The only thing we gain from keeping CSM on DOT-R's is a place for kit cars to run on Hoosiers or 710's. How often does that happen?

Everybody else running CSM on R compounds is cherry picking. Most all fit into SM or SM2, and Bob Florey can run his stock motor, stripped interior car in FP against Irish. At least that seems like it would be more fun to me than running against the Noble on 315/30-18 Hoosiers... and you thought the Mustang was uncompetetive! :lol:
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

now those 2003 rules make a lot more sence. not a ton of detail, but a whole lot more then the tiny section I found in the 2008 rules. :thumbup:
Thanks for posting that.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Casey Brier wrote:now those 2003 rules make a lot more sence. not a ton of detail,
That was the idea. The unofficial motto of the class is "We don't need no stinkin' rules!"
Last edited by Rick Brown on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Casey Brier

Post by Casey Brier »

and a good motto it is! :thumbup: