Mazdaspeed 6?

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Donn Greer ll

Mazdaspeed 6?

Post by Donn Greer ll »

I've been looking at getting something a little sportier then my current FWD Camry and like the Mazdaspeed 6. I used to autocross an MR2 many years ago and wouldn't mind participating in an occasional solo2 day. The MS3 is also nice but I think it would be a handful on an autocross course and I'm also not thrilled with it being FWD. I know the MS6 is FWD biased. I need the practicality of a 4 door and think the MS6 could be somewhat of a sleeper plus it's something I can picture an adult driving (at least this adult). The later model WRXs (09 and up) are also being considered though they might be out of my price range.

I did a search here and couldn't find much on the car. I'm curious how they compare to some of the other performance vehicles out there (GTI, WRX, MS3, MiniCooper, etc).
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Re: Mazdaspeed 6?

Post by KJ Christopher »

This would be a much better car for your needs: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4820&start=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Four doors
- real room (four adults took it to lunch at an event)
- autocross ready
- sportier than a Camry
- RWD
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I've driven a Mazdapeed 6 on an autocross course- it was quite horrible!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Max Hayter wrote:I've driven a Mazdapeed 6 on an autocross course- it was quite horrible!
Agree... If you must have FWD, and want some power and civility, the Mazdaspeed 3 is a better choice.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

You owe yourself a test drive in the current Suby WRX
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Mako Koiwai wrote:You owe yourself a test drive in the current Suby WRX
:unimpressed:
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Better then a MazdaSpeed 3 imo
Robert Puertas
Club: PSCC
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Better then a MazdaSpeed 3 imo
At destroying front tires...

Ugh.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I think they equally destroy front tires ... but the OP isn't interested in an AX'ing car

Ask the Lynches about their MazdaSpeed 3, which they've AX'ed a few times
Donn Greer ll

Post by Donn Greer ll »

So it looks like a big thumbs down on the Mazdaspeed 6!. I was a little concerned about the weight as compared to the MS3 but was hoping the AWD might make it a better AX'er.

So I'm now leaning towards the MS3 or if I can swing it a late model WRX. I have kids so the RX8 might be a little too impractical.

The Lynches..I seem to recall them driving a yellow 3rd gen RX7 (a long while back!).
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Post by Robert Puertas »

The RX8 has about the same rear knee room as a Mazda3...
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Genesis?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Donn Greer ll wrote:So it looks like a big thumbs down on the Mazdaspeed 6!. I was a little concerned about the weight as compared to the MS3 but was hoping the AWD might make it a better AX'er.

So I'm now leaning towards the MS3 or if I can swing it a late model WRX. I have kids so the RX8 might be a little too impractical.

The Lynches..I seem to recall them driving a yellow 3rd gen RX7 (a long while back!).
You owe it to yourself to check out the RX-8, the outside is very deceptive when it comes to interior space. We have had four people in ours on a number of occasions, and my daughter rides in the back seat every day.

It really comes down to your priorities... If it is autox/daily driver, get the RX-8. It is competitive in stock and ST, easy to setup, easy to drive and very easy on tires. If you are looking more for daily driver/autox, go for the MS3. The 3 is more refined, has great power delivery and is certainly more suitable for a family. The downside is it is not really competitive in any Solo class, and will eat up tires at a much quicker rate than the 8 - typical for FWD.
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

As much as I dislike VWs in general, I have to suggest the R32. I have no idea how it compares price-wise, but it does quite well at autocross, and ought to make a pretty decent people hauler.

I'd go for the RX-8.

Also check out the Volvo C30. Underneath, it's a Mazda3 with a turbo 5 cylinder engine. It has somewhat less power than the Mazdaspeed3, with a much more elegant (and adult) appearance. I think the hatchback is especially cool, as it has some features reminiscent of the old Volvo P1600 wagon.
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

John Stimson wrote: ...reminiscent of the old Volvo P1600 wagon.
As it was the first car I ever lusted after (not a Ferrari or Lamborghini, GTo or Mustang), its actually a P1800 (and P1800S) not a P1600, or more specifically the P1800 ES (ES=Estate Sweden), for which the C30 bases it's lineage.

While I like the C30, I was unimpressed with it's driving capabilities when it first came out. I did however see a Hybrid C30 at the LA Auto show, and that's kind of peeked my interest (To bad it said the prototypes will not be out until 2014 with the production models 2-3 years later :( )
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

I've had adults in the back seat of my RX-8 and they weren't uncomfortable. Definitely plenty of room for kids.