Mini Takes the States

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Mini Takes the States

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Just drove my future car at the Mini Takes the States event at the Rose Bowl. They've definitely done a good job creating a community of owners. Did anyone else go?

Anyway, I comparison drove an S and a John Cooper Works. It was hard to get an accurate idea of how well the extra power works, given the autocross course they laid out (let's just say I could've taken the whole thing in 1st gear), but there was one straight long enough to let 'er rip. From the seat of my pants, it didn't seem like the JCW was enough faster to justify the $6600 premium (yes I know it has an upgraded suspension too, but I'm going to end up getting DAs anyway). It also doesn't help that with the JCW package, I'd go from G Stock to B Stock.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Mini Takes the States

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

My dad and brother are always trying to talk me into a JCW. But dad doesn't pay for his beemers. He looks at the options list and start checking everything.

I just don't see the option being worth it.

And for autocross I don't think the JCW will do anything in stock class.

The mini is a cool car in GS. I think its a little tough on tires though. And your weight is going to effect it more than other cars.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Too true. The proportion of weight to power is much more ugly when the car weighs less (and the driver weighs more) and has less power. I'd love to buy Tom's Corvette or something similar (talk about negating the driver weight issue!), but my budget is the constraining factor. I have to have a daily driver, at least for the next few years.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Adrian Covert
Car#: 127

Post by Adrian Covert »

I was there and took a drive in the JCW car and the Cooper S Clubman. I really liked the clutch and brakes on the JCW but it didn't feel any faster than my car on that super slow, super tight, micro course. I would love to drive on on a more open track as I suspect the bigger turbo likes high rpms better than the puny on one my MINI, but SK1/B Stock would be very tough. Did you get a massage at the Playboy tent??? :D
David Avard
Club: PSCC
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: And your weight is going to effect it more than other cars.
Which is why Craig Wilcox, Mark Chiles, and David Webb, among others, do so poorly in theirs. :)
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Did you get a massage at the Playboy tent???
Damn! There was a Playboy tent?!?
==============
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Which is why Craig Wilcox, Mark Chiles, and David Webb, among others, do so poorly in theirs.
I don't know that there are many cars (short of a Corvette, Randy's Noble, or something else with outrageous power) where I won't pay a significant price for my weight. Since I can't afford a 'Vette, certainly can't afford a Noble, and need a daily driver (or a relatively cheap AX-only car), I'm thinking the Mini is probably the least of all evils. I've thought about an STS2 Civic or CRX, but there I'm still in the same boat (though Steve gives me a ray of hope). Plus, if you saw what I'm driving now, you'd laugh (it's not a chicken, but it's not too much better).
==============
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

David is right, some pretty big guys have done well on the national stage with Mini's.
I've had some fast laps in an already overweight mini usually with a 220lbs passenger.

So, its no Corvette or Noble, but you could do a whole lot worse than a MiniS in GS. Just keep the options light, get the stick and the LSD. Skip the sunroof. I'd check with guys with the 2nd gen MiniS's national for options. David Avard (former LA guy now in Topeka and often my co-driver/teacher at National events) might be able to get you in contact with some of the top mini drivers (Craig Wilcox, Ron Williams, and Greg Reno) they are all fairly local to him.

It would be cool to get you into a competitive car.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

I had a dream last night that I got a Noble. It was fun while it lasted.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Which is why Craig Wilcox, Mark Chiles, and David Webb, among others, do so poorly in theirs.
I don't know that there are many cars (short of a Corvette, Randy's Noble, or something else with outrageous power) where I won't pay a significant price for my weight. Since I can't afford a 'Vette, certainly can't afford a Noble, and need a daily driver (or a relatively cheap AX-only car), I'm thinking the Mini is probably the least of all evils. I've thought about an STS2 Civic or CRX, but there I'm still in the same boat (though Steve gives me a ray of hope). Plus, if you saw what I'm driving now, you'd laugh (it's not a chicken, but it's not too much better).
They're good and cheap, unless you want to run race tires on them. They eat'm up like they're tasty black donuts.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

It would be cool to get you into a competitive car.
Yeah yeah yeah!!

I'd love to talk to Craig or one of the other Mini drivers!
==============
Keith Brown
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 96

Post by Keith Brown »

I have some experience in a Mini or two. Not too hard on tires, if you control the understeer. the A6s don't seem to edge cord as quickly as the A4s or 5s
Keith
1990 Miata with the really big roll bar
http://www.chaserace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.tightntidyracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vorschlag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.ast-usa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

If you want a more exciting Mini, Henry might be willing to sell his. He's been talking about getting something else as a daily driver. He only commutes a few miles with it. Not sure what tune it is now. It was up to 270 hp ... twin charged ... now it's back down to just the super charger. Forged internals, coil overs, big brakes, exhaust, LSD, competition clutch,SSR's, etc. Run in SM. I believe he only did three AX's with it.

Keith Brown
King of Fastrack!

Post by Keith Brown »

Mako took a cool picture of me in San Diego

Keith
http://www.chaserace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.tightntidyracing.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.vorschlag.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; http://www.ast-usa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

270 hp
:shock:

Henry's car sounds like fun. I have to wait until my lease runs out before I'm ready to buy, though.
==============
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Problem is trying to put that power down when the widest tire you can fit in the (stock) fenders is 245.
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

In SM, I wonder if a 15" 275 would work with stiff springs.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Keith Brown
King of Fastrack!

Post by Keith Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:In SM, I wonder if a 15" 275 would work with stiff springs.
there is at least one DSP MINI running the 275's but they had to cut the fenders.
Keith
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Ron Williams got a 2005 Mini to run in HS because he felt that the '07 GS was too hard on tires, and the funny thing is that he isn't much slower than the GS Mini's.

Craig Wilcox traded his '07 MX-5 MSR to Dan Pedroza for his '07 Mini S, but with single-adjustable Koni's all around, it wallows a bit (you can't run too much rebound in the rear or it picks up the rear tire under braking and cornering and engages ice mode in the brakes, according to Craig).

The '07+'s also don't do well with left-foot braking, as they cut the throttle any time you are on the brakes. The newer cars do get much better gas mileage. If you can drive the speed limit, 40 mpg is possible in the Mini-S, while I've never heard of anyone doing much better than 30 mpg in the supercharged cars. Generally speaking, the new cars get about 15-20% better mileage.

The one big disadvantage with the new cars is gearing. The 2002 S would do about 70mph in second, which by 2006 was down to low-mid 60's. In 2007, they shortened the gearing and it runs out of 2nd at about 55 mph, depending on tire size (either 16's, K-215/40-16 or H-205/45-16, or 17's H-225/40-17).
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Awesome info, David! Thanks! :ugeek:
==============