Spokeo.com

Read at your own risk.

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Spokeo.com

Post by Lily Liu »

Repost from a FB post from one of my friends:

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you're posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, even credit card #'s. Remove yourself by searching your name, find your page, copy the URL and then go to the bottom of the page and click on the Privacy link to remove yourself.

My info was on there: phone number, my old address, # people in my household and whatever else was available for a fee :mrt:
~Lily
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Re: Spokeo.com

Post by Bob Pl »

Thanks Lily,

As I proposed before, and it went nowhere, I think this forum should switch to a last name INITIAL.

Recently a member was denied warranty claim on his car because the dealer found his run times posted in results.

E board, you there?

:)
Giovanni Jaramillo
Club: PSCC

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Lily Liu wrote:Repost from a FB post from one of my friends:

There's a site called spokeo.com that's a new online USA phone book w/personal information: everything from pics you're posted on FB or web, your approx credit score, home value, income, age, even credit card #'s. Remove yourself by searching your name, find your page, copy the URL and then go to the bottom of the page and click on the Privacy link to remove yourself.

My info was on there: phone number, my old address, # people in my household and whatever else was available for a fee :mrt:
Hah! Lily a friend of mine sent me a link from this website after he typed in my full name. There were several people with my name, so I didn't care.....'til I found the match that had my EXACT address! So I promptly removed it. These pop-up all the time so you just have to be aware. But remember these websites just aggregate data from public sources (i.e. phone company, state, county, city records).
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Plante wrote:I think this forum should switch to a last name INITIAL.

Recently a member was denied warranty claim on his car because the dealer found his run times posted in results.

E board, you there?

Yes we're here and if a competitor wants his name in initials then that can be done by the individual. Your name can be changed in your profile in Solo2.com to be (i.e. Bob P.) and that gets updated on the forums which also can be updated in the Timing & Scoring system.

As for that competitor and the results, well denial of a warranty claim because of that can be easily fought with a good lawyer.
Bob Pl
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Thanks Gio, I'll do the update, I did not know we had that option.

Just FYI the software would not accept a single initial for last name, so I put Pl and it accepted that.

I imagine the reason almost everyone has their full name listed is that the software "demanded" it during the original registration process.

It's that easy to get people to give up personal info.
Giovanni Jaramillo

Bob Pl wrote:Thanks Gio, I'll do the update, I did not know we had that option.

Just FYI the software would not accept a single initial for last name, so I put Pl and it accepted that.
You're welcome. The website has a minimum number of characters it needs and yes I see that the change has propagated from the main site to the forums.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

But if I remove my information, my stalkers won't be able to find me! :(

Also, as Gio put it, this site just grabs it from other public sources, so if spokeo got it, others can as well. Though they "may" not be shady & probably don't keep a record of your stuff once you remove it... potentially, when you try to remove your information, it may not have really been removed... you kind of just confirmed the information they posted, which makes it even more valuable as part of a separate database }:)

It's kind of like those random spam emails back in the day you get that allow you to "unsubscribe"... then a few days later, you get 5 times the spam emails. By unsubscribing you confirmed that the email was active... just another thought :)
Michael Smith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

No sign of me on the site :thumbup:
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

apparently, I'm located on the East Coast... :D

Michael Smith
Car#: 21

Post by Michael Smith »

If you do the remove route, I suggest you sign up for a dummy email account somewhere and delete it afterward. If not, you are giving them another piece of information about you that they can then cross reference, your email. While they will remove that name from this 1 site, they can do more than before.
Theo O.

Post by Theo O. »

There are dozens of sites that does this, it's hard to keep track of all of them, so I just keep my criminal activities to a minimum, plus I have Dr. Conemangler on speed dial :)
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." - Benjamin Franklin
Lily Liu

Post by Lily Liu »

Has anyone paid for their info? I wonder what else was available. Not to mention that my info was inaccurate, it said I had a child in my household haha
~Lily
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Lily Liu wrote:Has anyone paid for their info? I wonder what else was available. Not to mention that my info was inaccurate, it said I had a child in my household haha

Maybe they were referring to Mike??? }:)
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Lily Liu wrote:Has anyone paid for their info? I wonder what else was available. Not to mention that my info was inaccurate, it said I had a child in my household haha

Ouch! :)
Lily Liu

Post by Lily Liu »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:

:lol:
~Lily
Nic Sanchez
Club: No$
Car#: 67

Post by Nic Sanchez »

They had me as a female :oops:

Nic