Who's next???

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Glenn Duensing
Car#: 28
Location: Relaxin' and chillin' on the third rock from the Sun.

Who's next???

Post by Glenn Duensing »

http://aeromotions.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :shock: :shock: :shock:
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: Who's next???

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Pretty neat ... Vic Sias trying it out:

http://aeromotions.com/gallery/
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Movable aerodynamic devices are legal in solo?

Guess I spent too many years in road racing... I thought they were illegal everywhere.
Brad Roberts
Car#: 0

Post by Brad Roberts »

Vic had the MIT guy's install the wing at an event I put on at Marina in NorCal Aug. 2nd and 3rd :)

Pretty slick. It should be banned promptly.. LOL

We are talking about it here: http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=108646

B
Attachments
Marina Aug. 3rd 2008 debut
Marina Aug. 3rd 2008 debut
vic2s.jpg (58.74 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

We even made Vic work the event!!.. LOL

FYI: One of our Emod 914's beat him on Sat. and ended up beating him both day's combined. I understand that an Emod car *should* beat Vic's car :)

B
Attachments
Image3.jpg
Image3.jpg (67.65 KiB) Viewed 5871 times
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Brad Roberts wrote:Pretty slick. It should be banned promptly.. LOL
Surprised they let iy run at all. Moveable aero pieces have been illegal at both the FIA and SCCA since about 1970. (This is also the same rule that the FIA used later to ban sliding skirts on F1 cars.)

It's a safety issue: if the device fails to operate properly, the car will be carrying far more speed than it would under conventional circumstances when it leaves the racing surface. As a worker, I don't care for the idea of out-of-control cars flying at me.

When it comes to very basic safety stuff like this, would this be a point where we should refer back to the GCR? We do it with rollbars.
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Our event was a PCA sanctioned event and I invited Vic to the event to run up against what the 914 Porsche group could offer up. We certainly where not going to send him packing.

I fully understand your concern and it will be interesting to see what SCCA has to say about it. If I recall correctly.. Vic sits on a rules committee with them?? I could see your concern with road race cars, but the lower speeds of AutoX (I personally believe) would not have an ill effect on handling if it failed in a corner. He would spin much like he did on the very first outing with this wing in place!!

B
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Brad Roberts wrote:We even made Vic work the event!!.. LOL

FYI: One of our Emod 914's beat him on Sat. and ended up beating him both day's combined. I understand that an Emod car *should* beat Vic's car :)
It's a somewhat grey area in the rules. but I don't see how there's a valid safety argument. You could say the same thing about a fixed wing that breaks, or custom aluminum spindles, or any number of things...

On a 60 sec course EM should be a little over 1.8 seconds faster than Vic... Kiesel certainly wouldn't have any prob beating Vic (or anyone in SM) scratch.
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

On a 60 sec course EM should be a little over 1.8 seconds faster than Vic... Kiesel certainly wouldn't have any prob beating Vic (or anyone in SM) scratch.
Yep. Pretty close. Our course was a 40sec course for Vic and the zoomy 914 guy's. Here is a course map of what we ran that weekend:

The 914 that took TTOD for the weekend is a heavy Emod. They need to lose another 100lbs to actually be a 100% Emod.

B
Last edited by Brad Roberts on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Sorry.. but this forum software kinda blows.. :lol: can anyone tell me what the actual window size is so it doesn't auot-resize? I'll crop my pics to the exact size.

B
Brad Roberts

Post by Brad Roberts »

Let me try a hyperlink to the pic!

SWEET! I'll just post the pics on my server from now on!

B
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Brad Roberts wrote:Sorry.. but this forum software kinda blows.. :lol: can anyone tell me what the actual window size is so it doesn't auot-resize? I'll crop my pics to the exact size.

B
Nice to hear from ya again Brad. Window size depends on your rez. Just click on the picture if you want to see it unmolested, i've just been too lazy to install the back end software that it require to resize the images.
Michael Colangelo

Post by Michael Colangelo »

Enough of the marketing bullcrap. Show me the data.