Need advice for SS Z06

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Jason Uyeda

Re: Need advice for SS Z06

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Greg Peng wrote:What's the typical cost of buying a used C5 Z06, prepping it for SS, and running it on R-comp tires?
Should easily be able to get a '03-'04 for 28k. Probably several grand less if you look around. I think 01s are around 22k now...

Wheels are 1-2.5k-ish. Depending on what you get. If you use the stockers (stock wheels are reasonably light) for race tires and get another set for the street, you can get some reasonable looking (although heavy) wheels from TireRack for under 1k...

Tires are about $1200 a set. Only about a $50 diff between A6s (in the arguably better, bigger sizes) and 710s. 710s will last longer.

Shocks, not sure what the Koni yellows cost, probably 1.5k-ish? Many ppl have said the '04 shocks are pretty good, you can get a set of those for $400. I think the cheapo Koni red's Leslie has are about $500..

FSB. The Pfadt bar is the nicest one out there for $550. They also have shocks but I have no idea how good they are.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Curt Luther wrote:
Greg Peng wrote:What's the typical cost of buying a used C5 Z06, prepping it for SS, and running it on R-comp tires?
About the same annually as having a kept woman in an apartment across town. Most middle age guys do one or the other...
Ah..............Oh, never mind.

Hmmm, need a little comparison chart.... The car only gives you a thrill about once a month, but hopefully 3 times in a row, but usually only for less than a minute each. The car doesn't talk back, ask for things it doesn't need and stays in the parking lot when you go out to dinner.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Jason Uyeda wrote:
Should easily be able to get a '03-'04 for 28k. Probably several grand less if you look around. I think 01s are around 22k now...

Wheels are 1-2.5k-ish. Depending on what you get. If you use the stockers (stock wheels are reasonably light) for race tires and get another set for the street, you can get some reasonable looking (although heavy) wheels from TireRack for under 1k...

Tires are about $1200 a set. Only about a $50 diff between A6s (in the arguably better, bigger sizes) and 710s. 710s will last longer.

Shocks, not sure what the Koni yellows cost, probably 1.5k-ish? Many ppl have said the '04 shocks are pretty good, you can get a set of those for $400. I think the cheapo Koni red's Leslie has are about $500..

FSB. The Pfadt bar is the nicest one out there for $550. They also have shocks but I have no idea how good they are.
I am using the pfadt shocks and I think they are very good. Easily adustable and it makes for wide range of stiffness and rebound control. 16 adjustment positons per shock.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Max Hayter
Club: CASOC
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I think we are planning on Penske shocks.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Rick Brown wrote:
Curt Luther wrote:About the same annually as having a kept woman in an apartment across town. Most middle age guys do one or the other...
Ah..............Oh, never mind.

Hmmm, need a little comparison chart.... The car only gives you a thrill about once a month, but hopefully 3 times in a row, but usually only for less than a minute each. The car doesn't talk back, ask for things it doesn't need and stays in the parking lot when you go out to dinner.
Gee Rick, you seem to know a bit about this and you never had a Corvette...hmmm ;)
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Max Hayter wrote:I think we are planning on Penske shocks.
Man, you are TERRIBLE at pretending to be asking, "for a friend" :lol:
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Man, you are TERRIBLE at pretending to be asking, "for a friend" :lol:
Well, I realize it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure all this out :lol:
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Annie Bauer
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 385

Post by Annie Bauer »

Hi everyone! (looking to buy car #41, shocking, isn't it?)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Hey I know someone selling some triple adjustable penske shocks for a C5. Buy the shocks, get the ASP car for free. :lol:

you also wouldn't have to ever worry about finishing 50th at nationals in ASP. ;)
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Annie Bauer wrote:Hi everyone! (looking to buy car #41, shocking, isn't it?)
I don't think I've owned a third that many cars, including the two I went through during 3 weeks in Scotland back in the '70s. :o

I think the buy the Penskes get the Vette free offer can't be beat. :lol:
Annie Bauer

Post by Annie Bauer »

Yes, the Berry vette is SOOOO tempting... :heyes:

... it's that pesky problem of no truck, no trailer, and no place to put either even if I had them! I need a car that can be driven to events without worry, and I'm hesitant to do that with the ASP beast :mrgreen:
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Annie Bauer wrote:Yes, the Berry vette is SOOOO tempting... :heyes:

... it's that pesky problem of no truck, no trailer, and no place to put either even if I had them! I need a car that can be driven to events without worry, and I'm hesitant to do that with the ASP beast :mrgreen:
Annie....i tempted this thought last year. And I just couldn't budget it in....but if I could I ran into the same issues you have. I live in a condo with 1-car space garage.
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Thomason doesn't have a truck or trailer... He drove that car to pretty much every SD event, many LA events, Atwater several times and Wendover at least once. I say put the AC back in it and drive it...
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jason Uyeda wrote:

Thomason doesn't have a truck or trailer... He drove that car to pretty much every SD event, many LA events, Atwater several times and Wendover at least once. I say put the AC back in it and drive it...
truck and trailer only save tire budget, and really it's no less streetable the Max's STi(with FAR fewer stickers :roll: ). I can't believe anyone in our region would even consider building a SS c5 while this ASP car is available for a comparable price.

...and how are you planning to get a SS car to events (or nationals?) with race tires and no truck/trailer?
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Marshall Grice wrote: truck and trailer only save tire budget, and really it's no less streetable the Max's STi(with FAR fewer stickers :roll: ). I can't believe anyone in our region would even consider building a SS c5 while this ASP car is available for a comparable price.

...and how are you planning to get a SS car to events (or nationals?) with race tires and no truck/trailer?
Could be some people have concerns about getting an ASP car registered in CA.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Marshall Grice wrote: truck and trailer only save tire budget, and really it's no less streetable the Max's STi(with FAR fewer stickers :roll: ). I can't believe anyone in our region would even consider building a SS c5 while this ASP car is available for a comparable price.

That's what friends in Washington state are for. ;)
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Tom's is registered in CA.

Valid point though, as the car is raced without cats.
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

this is southern california.. where every other smog station is willing to take an extra 50 to bypass visual.

or does the C5 not pass smog without cats?
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Jeff Shyu wrote:this is southern california.. where every other smog station is willing to take an extra 50 to bypass visual.

or does the C5 not pass smog without cats?
Speaking of SMOG, how are we to legalize our engine swaps if the SMOG Ref program was cut?
Per the Governor's Executive Order issued on July 31, 2008 concerning the state budget, Referee and Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) Repair Assistance, and Vehicle Retirement services have been suspended until further notice. We apologize for any inconvenience. Consumers may call the Department of Consumer Affairs, Consumer Information Center at (800) 952-5210. Also, please check our web site periodically to confirm when both Referee and CAP services will resume.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/
James Wilson
Car#: 61

Post by James Wilson »

You can actually find '01 Z06's for about $17-$18K if you know where to look, quite a few pop up every once in a while. A small dealer friend of mine had 4 of them, '01-'03, each under 60K miles, and they were all less than $21K depending on the year. This was a few months back. PureMotors in Kearny Mesa, Bill is the owner, tell him I sent you :D
'00 Subaru Legacy
http://www.Cam-FX.com
United States of Texas
Annie Bauer

Post by Annie Bauer »

Since I tend to keep cars for such a long time :lol: I need one that I can easily resell when the time comes. So, a street prepared Vette is really out, even if I could get comfortable driving it to events (which I can't...).

An '04 garage queen is what I'm looking for... :thumbup:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

If you want ProSolo championships I think you should look at D-Stock....

Pretty funny to have 300hp 135's on R-Compounds lining up with a handicap start advantage against 108hp Civic's on 195-50-15 street tires in L1.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:If you want ProSolo championships I think you should look at D-Stock....

Pretty funny to have 300hp 135's on R-Compounds lining up with a handicap start advantage against 108hp Civic's on 195-50-15 street tires in L1.
Nah, If she was to go that route then she could buy one of my dad's other for sale cars: VW R32. ProSolo=AWD!

(yes, he has a lot of cars)
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

The Eames R32 looked pretty good at teh Packwood Pro. In the Challenge Pam in the R32 had like a 3 car length lead on Julie off the line. Amazingly I think Julie had her until she spun at the finish.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:The Eames R32 looked pretty good at teh Packwood Pro.
It really did - it beat Dietz in the Cobalt as well.
~Max H.

#31 SSC