Farmington Pro

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Farmington Pro

Post by KJ Christopher »

Who is planning to run the Pro?
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Farmington Pro

Post by Kurt Rahn »

memememe
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Will, Stacey, Robert, and I will probably be going.

I know Tom Berry has been to Farmington. Tom or anybody else have comments on the route to take? Mapquest had me turning immediately at Flagstaff. That road looks iffy. I'd have figured staying on 40 longer and turning straight up. But I've never been to Farmington. Towing the Mondo Trailer.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Will, Stacey, Robert, and I will probably be going.

I know Tom Berry has been to Farmington. Tom or anybody else have comments on the route to take? Mapquest had me turning immediately at Flagstaff. That road looks iffy. I'd have figured staying on 40 longer and turning straight up. But I've never been to Farmington. Towing the Mondo Trailer.
Yeah, I noticed that. A bit easier with my trailer, but makes me wonder. Is the scenery worth it?

Registration is open, BTW.
kj
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I've been wanting to make one long distance trip this year, how is the drive?
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote:Will, Stacey, Robert, and I will probably be going.

Yeah, I noticed that. A bit easier with my trailer, but makes me wonder. Is the scenery worth it?

Registration is open, BTW.
The most direct route is Interstate 40 to Gallup, New Mexico and take 491 north to Shiprock, then east to Farmington on Highway 64. The route out of Flagstaff takes you across the Navajo Indian reservation to Colorado and south to Shiprock, then east to Farmington. Its longer. With trailers, my suggestion is stick to the Interstate.

BTW, I'm not seeing a hot link on the SCCA ProSolo page for Farmington as yet. Is there another way to get to the registration page?
Last edited by Ed Holley on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I show 737mi from Pasadena to McGee Park using I 40 to 89 to 160 to 64 (turn off 40 at Flagstaff).
And 765mi from Pasadena to McGee Park using I 40 to 491 to 64 (turn off 40 at Gallup).

491 is the old US666. Either route goes to Shiprock....

Last edited by Steve Ekstrand on Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I show 737mi from Pasadena to McGee Park using I 40 to 89 to 160 to 64 (turn off 40 at Flagstaff).
And 765mi from Pasadena to McGee Park using I 40 to 491 to 64 (turn off 40 at Gallup).
Have you driven both pulling a trailer? I have. Take the Interstate...or not.
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I always figure Interstate. But 491 is the old US666 which in NM had one of the highest fatality rates. I've been to Four Corners, Mesa Verde, and Durango as a kid so I've probably been on, but don't remember. Just like to hear from others. Don't want to bale on 89-160 only to find 491 is worse!
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

I went to the Farmington event a couple of years ago and regularly drive to Telluride. The route through Flagstaff and up through the Rez is beautiful and fairly flat. It is mostly a two lane road though with minimal spots for safe passing. Pulling a trailer might not be hard but you might make yourself a traffic hazard for others. If you go this way pay attention to your gas gauge. There aren't many places to get gas.

Going I-40 is a road that will actually allow you to travel safer until you get to old 666 (I don't know the new number). This road is dangerous, but mostly at night and on the weekends. There are way more areas with passing lanes so it might be the safer way to go. Although the miles are slightly different, I think the times would be close to the same.

Ken
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Aaron and I are going, although I don't think we will be towing. More like me driving the MX5 and Aaron following in his baller Lexus! Aaron has a trailer, but I'm not sure it is wise for two first time towers to try their first tow all the way to NM!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I always figure Interstate. But 491 is the old US666 which in NM had one of the highest fatality rates. I've been to Four Corners, Mesa Verde, and Durango as a kid so I've probably been on, but don't remember. Just like to hear from others. Don't want to bale on 89-160 only to find 491 is worse!
Here's another consideration FOR the Interstate... Sharon and I traveled 89-160 over to Colorado last August. There is lots of highway reburbishment going on all along the 160 route, particularly east of Kayenta to the Colorado border. Some stopping along the way, sometimes lengthy. Check-out whats going on construction wise regardless of WHICH route you choose. Even the Interstate has things going on between Flagstaff and New Mexico, or even from the Colorado River to Flagstaff.
2001 NB Miata
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm flying in.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm flying in.
BASTARD
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm flying in.
BASTARD
:mrgreen:
==============
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I plan on staying on the interstate as long as possible, which means exiting at Thoreau and heading north on highway 371. This puts you a little closer to the event site (which is really closer to Bloomfield), and bypasses Farmington city traffic . The 371 is slightly more scenic than 491, but you don't get to see Shiprock.
Jason Uyeda

Post by Jason Uyeda »

Max Hayter wrote:Aaron and I are going, although I don't think we will be towing. More like me driving the MX5 and Aaron following in his baller Lexus! Aaron has a trailer, but I'm not sure it is wise for two first time towers to try their first tow all the way to NM!
My first tow was to Topeka... Powder up the boys and hitch up!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I plan on staying on the interstate as long as possible, which means exiting at Thoreau and heading north on highway 371. This puts you a little closer to the event site (which is really closer to Bloomfield), and bypasses Farmington city traffic . The 371 is slightly more scenic than 491, but you don't get to see Shiprock.

371 looks like a tiny road. US routes have standards at least. I think 371 is a state highway aka farm road. Is it okay?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:371 looks like a tiny road. US routes have standards at least. I think 371 is a state highway aka farm road. Is it okay?
Street view?
Ken Lord
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I plan on staying on the interstate as long as possible, which means exiting at Thoreau and heading north on highway 371. This puts you a little closer to the event site (which is really closer to Bloomfield), and bypasses Farmington city traffic . The 371 is slightly more scenic than 491, but you don't get to see Shiprock.
Seb - have you been on 371? I lived and worked in New Mexico for 12 years and spent a bit of time on the Navajo Reservation and I have never been on that road. 491 is a decent road with some passing lanes. It looks like a great road, but if something happens I'm not sure cells phones would work much past Crownpoint.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

I drove 371 in my Mom's FJ. It is a 2 lane deal and was a little dicey with snow and ice, but that was on Thanksgiving day. I doubt there will be snow and ice on July 20. I found it to be a little less boring than 491.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Sebastian Rios wrote:I drove 371 in my Mom's FJ. It is a 2 lane deal and was a little dicey with snow and ice, but that was on Thanksgiving day. I doubt there will be snow and ice on July 20. I found it to be a little less boring than 491.
Boring sometimes = good when you're towing a 45' trailer.... :lol:
kj
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Just out of curiosity, why are you folks not considering Packwood? It looks like only the Berrys are headed up there from here. Seems like a cooler, more scenic, less arid location.
2001 NB Miata
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Packwood is FANTASTIC!!!

But its too damn FAR!!! And much of that far is through Kalifornya and their ridiculous 55 mph towing limits.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Packwood is FANTASTIC!!!

But its too damn FAR!!! And much of that far is through Kalifornya and their ridiculous 55 mph towing limits.
Exactly. I will go one year and spend the week between events. But not this year and that is too far to tow for one weekend.
kj