...popped by a red light camera :(

...in Will's car :)
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Re: I just got...

Post by Thomas Barrett »

I have always wanted to rig up an appropriate license plate with my true sentiments to the city for putting those darn things in and run with just so they can see the message.

F... You would be a great license plate for doing that with.

I have a problem with paying a fine for something we cannot even contest in court or call a witness to the stand. Guilty until proven innocent is not the way we should be operating.

If you want to try to beat it subpeana there records of false pictures that went off in wind storms and maybe you can get off of it???
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

We need a clear license plate cover that when popped by the camera, has some polarization or something that obscures the plate, but offers a "message". :P
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jeff Shyu
Car#: 0

Post by Jeff Shyu »

i haven't personally come up against a red-light camera before, but I imagine it to be easy to get out of.

they can't prove that you were the one driving the car, and they can't prove that the camera didn't malfunction and take the picture at the wrong time.

you have a right to face your accused, and i just don't see how the court can produce a witness in this case.
Tom Denham
Club: PSCC
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i haven't personally come up against a red-light camera before, but I imagine it to be easy to get out of.

they can't prove that you were the one driving the car, and they can't prove that the camera didn't malfunction and take the picture at the wrong time.

you have a right to face your accused, and i just don't see how the court can produce a witness in this case.

There are a few in L.B. willow and bellflower has one .
Los coyotes diagonal and bellflower is another, and few more but cant think of any more right now.

long beach has a good enough camera to tell who is driving. They will compare it to your face when you show up to fight it.
Chad Stubblefield
Club: Team Blew
Car#: 877

Post by Chad Stubblefield »

didnt they make a spray that made the plate really shinny and created an over exposed result? }:)
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

Chad Stubblefield wrote:didnt they make a spray that made the plate really shinny and created an over exposed result? }:)

Yea that stuff's illegal now,
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Jeff Shyu wrote:i haven't personally come up against a red-light camera before, but I imagine it to be easy to get out of.

The accuser is the state via the camera. So, you can contest it, of course, but depending on the jurisdiction, you might have to physically be there. Kansas is probably one of them.
Ken Lord
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 951

Post by Ken Lord »

I got popped in San Bernardino on a right turn on red. They had a picture of me, the car and a plate number and to top it off, full video of the entire encounter. I maybe tapped the brakes and down-shifted to make the corner. I thought of fighting it on the pictures, but the video was too much to fight.

Three cheers for on-line-traffic school instead of the OC - show up in person for the day
Tom Phillips
Club: No$
Car#: 185

Post by Tom Phillips »

2 years or so ago, I got a ticket in the mail with photos of me making a right turn at 8:28 AM. There is a sign posted "No right turn between 7:00 AM and 8:30 AM" The car clock is 4 minutes fast according to the ticket. The fine - !!! $357.00!!!
I tried to contest, but the time stamp on the photo is "golden" according to the "wanna-be" judge.
And life goes on.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

My ex got hit with a $400 photo fine for crossing the intersection line on Red ... perhaps not coming to a full stop ... in Glendale, Mountain and Verdugo a few weeks ago.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Will got the pic in the mail last week and showed it to me yesterday. I was 5 feet behind the line with the brake lights on when the light went red doing 48mph heading into a 25 zone :)

He got the "bail" amount yesterday and just e-mailed me. $391 :(
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

how far does the picture show?

remember the spirit of the law vs. the word of the law.

say, hypothetically, a bus was riding your ass up to the light, and you saw that there's no way the bus was going to stop in time, you quickly scanned the intersection, saw that it was clear, applied brakes to go through the intersection at a controlled manner, it would be considered "safer" than trying to stop for the light.
Curt Luther
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Jeff Shyu wrote:how far does the picture show?

It shows me totally blowing the light with no one around. If I hadn't have hit the brakes at the last second knowing I was going into a 25 zone, I woulda made it :)
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

Curt Luther wrote:
Jeff Shyu wrote:how far does the picture show?

It shows me totally blowing the light with no one around. If I hadn't have hit the brakes at the last second knowing I was going into a 25 zone, I woulda made it :)
proof that it was totally safe! :lol:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

On the Oklahoma turnpike I had to deposit $3.40 for 5 axles in exact change. Fortunately, I had plenty of strip club $1's and they had a change machine. :) The screen was smashed that told you how much was accepted. I deposited 12 quarters and 4 dimes in the basket and drove through.... Lights and sirens go off. So, I'm sure I'll have a ticket in my future I'll have to fight with my word against the man.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Club: No$
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

The only problem I've had with red light camera intersections is almost being rear ended. I guess BMW's and MR2's stop shorter than many cars. Yellow lights now mean stopping if at all possible to save $3-400 ticket. Photo tickets are not there for safety, they are for increased revenue.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I read a study, I think quoted in autoweek that said that intersections with red light cameras experience something like a 300-400% increase in total accidents. However it was basically a net wash in medical treatment. The rearenders are more frequent, but less injury prone than the t-bones.

What bugs me is that in jurisdictions serviced by red light camera vendors, the yellow light times are ALWAYS shortened to make the lights "more effective". That is to say, better at achieving revenue goals.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:I read a study, I think quoted in autoweek that said that intersections with red light cameras experience something like a 300-400% increase in total accidents. However it was basically a net wash in medical treatment. The rearenders are more frequent, but less injury prone than the t-bones.

What bugs me is that in jurisdictions serviced by red light camera vendors, the yellow light times are ALWAYS shortened to make the lights "more effective". That is to say, better at achieving revenue goals.
Cutting down on t-bone accidents can be accomplished with overlapping red lights, ie, every direction sees a red light for 1 second before the next green cycle.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

How much revenue does that raise???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Didn't the fairly recent LA Times article on the intersection cameras say that some communities actually abandoned the cameras because they didn't increase revenue ... due to the fairly high cost of running the system. Hard to believe with the price of those tickets. The one at Mountain and Verdugo in Glendale is constantly going off. But, apparently some communities dismiss the charges if you set off the camera because you slightly entered the intersection while coming to a stop to do a Right of Red turn. Dismiss as in not sending you the ticket.
Bob Beamesderfer

Steve Ekstrand wrote:How much revenue does that raise???
Well, there's the rub. A system based on safety without regard to enforcing a law at 105% just isn't the revenue generator
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:What bugs me is that in jurisdictions serviced by red light camera vendors, the yellow light times are ALWAYS shortened to make the lights "more effective". That is to say, better at achieving revenue goals.
I beat a red light ticket once using a short yellow light defense. The cop testified that I was about 10 feet behind the limit line when the light turned red. I calculated feet per second at the speed limit and testified that if the yellow had been timed properly, I would have been 10 feet into the intersection when the light turned red. He referred to a chart he had in front of him, then agreed with me. Case dismissed. Somewhere there is a chart that spells it all out. I'd like to get my hands on one. :D
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Somewhere there is a chart that spells it all out. I'd like to get my hands on one.
"Somewhere over the rainbow...." Don't expect it from someplace that would otherwise make $$$ from you. The system is stacked against you and was created to generate income, not identify who is legal/not. That's why you're always better off fighting a ticket, regardless whether you're guilty. Don't get me started.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jeff Shyu

Post by Jeff Shyu »

George Schilling wrote:Somewhere there is a chart that spells it all out. I'd like to get my hands on one. :D
lacking that, it can't be that hard to take down the time of the yellow light at the camera intersection, vs. the ones before and after it. if the yellow is shorter, it would seem an obvious win?