Official Photos/Video Thread 1/ 26-27 /2013

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Official Photos/Video Thread 1/ 26-27 /2013

Post by George Schilling »

I used Youtube stabilization. Without it, it's very jittery.

Those are the shortened versions. Those will be loaded on my website and most who view them are not familiar with autox and will want to see the longer version so they can understand what's going on.

You do know there's a fast forward. :lol:

Seriously, any help you can offer to improve the quality is appreciated.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Always like Helmet POV's

Were you getting enough heat into those FF tires?
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

George Schilling wrote:Seriously, any help you can offer to improve the quality is appreciated.
You may want to try recording in 720p @ 60fps. It should give a wider field of view & the 60fps helps a lot w/ any rolling shutter issues.

If you use a data logger, you can get Chasecam's Dashware & do video overlay = FANCY PANTS!
George Schilling
Club Representative

Mako Koiwai wrote:Always like Helmet POV's

Were you getting enough heat into those FF tires?
The tires were slightly warm to the touch. Could have used more heat but I'm sure everyone was facing the same issues with cold tires. Joey took the final two runs and mentioned they were much better than his first two.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
George Schilling
Club Representative

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:
George Schilling wrote:Seriously, any help you can offer to improve the quality is appreciated.
You may want to try recording in 720p @ 60fps. It should give a wider field of view & the 60fps helps a lot w/ any rolling shutter issues.

If you use a data logger, you can get Chasecam's Dashware & do video overlay = FANCY PANTS!
I'll try that QV. I need a camera expert to stop by and set it up for me. :)
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I need a camera expert to stop by and set it up for me.
:gpower: :gpower: :gpower:

... or YOU could stop by with it. :D
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
George Schilling wrote:In answer to Jason Isley's scathing denouncement of my first video post, here's our runs from the last event.

George 53.440
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t07WizWpKJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joey 53.031
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qCIbWPM1p8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just curious, are you using YouTube's built in stabilization, or stabilizing it before you upload with some other software? I've tried stabilization in both iMovie and YouTube's and haven't really been happy with either. It makes the videos all jello-y, and I feel like you lose more than it's worth.

Also, since I know you've found the text overlay video editing options, you may be interested to know that there's a trim feature as well. Just saying ;)
When it's a helmet cam, your body is the image stabilizer ;).

Missed a income opportunity there on Joey's run. Adding text over the Corvette in front of him "This car for sale" and charging for advertizing :D
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Rick Brown wrote: When it's a helmet cam, your body is the image stabilizer ;).
Agreed, I prefer unstabilized myself, though helmet cams are still quite bumpy (see my video below).

I tried stabilizing this video and didn't like how much of the feeling of movement was lost in doing so, so I changed it back. Just my opinion though, you should have it how you like it :thumbup: .
Ed Holley
Car#: 912

Post by Ed Holley »

Jeff Stuart wrote:I tried stabilizing this video ... .
WOW dude! I'm thinking you learned something at Silverstone. That was fun to watch.
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Ed Holley wrote:
Jeff Stuart wrote:I tried stabilizing this video ... .
WOW dude! I'm thinking you learned something at Silverstone. That was fun to watch.
I actually did fairly well in the karting portion at Silverstone, but unfortunately they barely showed any of it on the show.

Luckily they had the live lap timer thing recording when we were there so we were able to dig up our results from their website: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44219495@N ... otostream/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It started raining just before the final main race (and the left us on slick tires) in case you're wondering why lap times were almost 30 seconds slower.

Jeff Lund and Joey Alves both had a bunch of experience racing sprint karts competitively, though apparently being good in karts didn't count for anything because they were both eliminated in the first episode.

I had only ever done the electric karts (MB2/K1) and gas karts as you see in the video.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Jeff, did the image get cropped during the stabilization process? Btw. 960 gives one the tallest image, good for karting, ie. allows one to seeing steering, possibly pedals besides the view ahead
George Schilling
Club Representative

Good call on the image stabilization Jeff. I removed it on my run for comparison. I didn't notice the mushiness until I watched the unedited version. The difference is startling.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Jeff, did the image get cropped during the stabilization process? Btw. 960 gives one the tallest image, good for karting, ie. allows one to seeing steering, possibly pedals besides the view ahead
Stabilization does crop the video a bit, but for that karting video it wasn't stabilized, I just had it on the medium FOV setting instead of wide (Hero2, 1080p setting).