AX'ers GoKarting ....

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

AX'ers GoKarting ....

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Casey Quinn, Jason Swindle, Karen Zaterman, Sarah Bantay and Kiem Tjong ... who did the SCCA Super School with Jeff Stuart are all racing karts on Saturday at CA Speedway:

http://www.calspeedkarting.com/racing-p ... eries.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$125 ,,, for a full day of karting, includes everything one needs
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: AX'ers GoKarting ....

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Does it include the core conditioning?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

I've run with CalSpeed karting before, nothing like hurting everywhere after a run :D Great group of folks to run with.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Great day ... excellent racing activity between ProSolo's and our regular events. More info and photos later ... just wanted to leave you with this shot of the Participation Awards available to everyone:
Attachments
Participation Awards.jpg
Participation Awards.jpg (450.77 KiB) Viewed 11566 times
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

A few seconds from Sarah Bantay's race in Group B ... the 25 with the 50th to 26th fastest times: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5qFUA4Tr2w

BTW ... the fastest 25 qualifiers where only a second apart, "A" Group, and the next 25 were only separated by 0.640 seconds !!!

All drivers are weighted to be at 200 lbs ... canister next to the seat for weights and/or lead sheeting (wrapped in tape) under your butt and/or weight vests. If you're over 200 lbs with your gear ... too bad ... although there is a Heavy Weight division. Also a Masters division for old fogies. An old fogie won the over all on Sunday ... cunning and stealth, i.e. avoided the last corner block and just caught the leader, fellow Imagine Lifestyle instructor Kirk Feldkamp, at the finish line ... win by 0.023

Sarah with 50 lbs of vest weights, plus a 40 lb canister weight ... plus seat insert plus driving gear to get up to 200 lbs
Attachments
Sarah weighted down.jpg
Sarah weighted down.jpg (295.84 KiB) Viewed 11536 times
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Helmet cam: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28WO4FLHAVk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very well organized! 100 drivers and very little down time. Very fast driver change overs.

Drivers Meeting:
Attachments
drivers meeting.jpg
drivers meeting.jpg (251.64 KiB) Viewed 11531 times
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Casey Quinn said that the first time out he ended up something like 94th out of 100. Very different driving with 15 HP vs his usual 400+ !

This time he moved up to around 66th overall ... it's that difficult. A lot of the top guys race in other forms of racing or karting, but this SuperSeries offers very close inexpensive racing in karts that are tested and tuned to all be with in 0.3 seconds of each other. You drive a different cart EVERY Time you run.
Attachments
Start line up ... standing starts for every event except for the final "A" Class Main ... they use a rolling start
Start line up ... standing starts for every event except for the final "A" Class Main ... they use a rolling start
start sml.jpg (336.3 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Casey setting up for a pass on the inside
Casey setting up for a pass on the inside
KC 96.jpg (354.32 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Casey leads a pack
Casey leads a pack
4 KC 2 sml.jpg (459.25 KiB) Viewed 11508 times
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Helmet cam frame grab from Chris Huerta ... Difference between a Heat Win and a P4 finish ... 0.112 seconds!

Four across the Finish Line:

(digital read-out shows current lap time and previous lap time)

Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

My buddy Kirk on podium

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

He lead almost the entire race ... and then got out dragged ... drafting is important ... to loose by 2 inches ... 0.023 seconds!

He was saying he wished he had his helmet cam on ... I said that would have been boring footage, ie. nothing but empty track in front of him leading ... mount it backwards so that one can study attacks
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Round Four ... May 4th ... Karen and I signed up ... expect Casey Q, Sarah Bantay, Jason Swindle and Kiem to also sign up. These events sell out:

https://www.facebook.com/events/361272127311036/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Long pants are required ... and you don't want them to push up from the wind, otherwise you might be some battle damage, like Kiem got:
Attachments
K battle damage.jpg
K battle damage.jpg (433.53 KiB) Viewed 11374 times
Bobby Beyer

Post by Bobby Beyer »

This is what losing by .023s looks like :lol:

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Time Lapse of a driver change over at today's CalSpeed SuperSeries.

I didn't realize that this is part of a world wide racing series. Three of our drivers, including gal racer Isabelle, qualified to represent us at the World Championships in Paris next week!

http://youtu.be/FZhlbDXTH8k
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Brutal wheel to wheel racing in the A Mains Final on Saturday. Banging wheels instead of cones: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DpLAtL-V ... pLAtL-V83M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Brutal wheel to wheel racing in the A Mains Final on Saturday. Banging wheels instead of cones: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=DpLAtL-V ... pLAtL-V83M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Not exactly "banging wheels" since they have wrap around bumpers. Wondering if people are more aggressive because of that, interlocking wheels or riding up on someones wheel on karts without that can cause crashes and launches much easier.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

OK, not literally banging wheels, but Lot's of contact. You can see the Flag person at Start/Finish handing out Black Sticks at specific drivers during the video. 2nd Stick and you'll get a Black Flag and a call to the pits, ie. race is over for you.

I got a number of fairly jarring smacks in the back from impatient sophomoric drivers that if they were so good should have been able to pass me while I maintained the racing line.

One fellow spun right in front of me. I couldn't avoid him, slid into him sideways. Kart went up on it's side and I got a good punch in my ribs when I came back down on the side edge of the seat. I get why some karters don't want to go wheel to wheel! :(
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Next race, Sat. June 1st is filling up fast!

https://ckfontana.clubspeedtiming.com/o ... Start.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Karen Zaterman
Club: GRA
Car#: 134

Post by Karen Zaterman »

I'm registered... wouldn't want to miss it. Great alternative to road racing while I'm out of a job. It sure is nice to be back to wheel-wheel :D
No, Mako -- you do NOT need to supercharge your new Miata! ...cuz now it's my turn to take it to the track :)
hmmmm... it is no longer "new" -- is it time to get faster?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

SODI World Championships in Paris ... our Isa, she just turned 16, came in 6th in the Super Finals today!

http://www.sodiwseries.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Attachments
Isa for USA sml.jpg
Isa for USA sml.jpg (279.93 KiB) Viewed 10909 times
Last edited by Mako Koiwai on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Isa's race ride when she gets home ... for PCA and NASA racing:

Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

San Diego write up on Isa: http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Jun ... ticle-copy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Tomorrow ... first Saturday of each month ... tomorrow Kati is joining us ... there are still openings for tomorrows event ...

Drivers,

Thank you for registering for Round 6 of the 2013 Super Series Season, scheduled to take the track this Saturday morning.

Below you will find several important pieces of info with regards to this program:

SCHEDULE:

7:30a - Gates Open / Driver Check In Begins
8:15a - FIRST TIME DRIVER ORIENTATION [If this is your first Super Series Event please attend as this time will be used to explain details of the program and answer questions]
8:45a - MANDATORY DRIVERS MEETING FOR ALL DRIVERS [Please check in by 8:30 latest]
9:15a - Morning Practice Sessions Begin
4:00p - Day Concludes / Podium Ceremonies

WEIGHT:

New to this season is the 200lb competition weight requirement. As many of you know, our karts are set up to easily add up to 40lbs of ballast for drivers that weigh as little as 160lbs. Any driver UNDER 160lbs will need to add additional weight via a variety of options:

- Drivers may seek official approval to use their own personal ballast. No personal ballast will be permitted in weight tubes. [weight vest, seat insert, ect okay].
- Drivers may rent CalSpeed's new lead seat inserts which are available in 5lb increments. Cost to rent is $1 per pound.
- Drivers may purchase sheet lead inserts thru CalSpeed to customize and keep as their own. Cost to purchase is $5.75 per pound.

* NOTE - If this is your FIRST Super Series event, and you require the additional weight outlined above, CalSpeed will offer it on a 'one-time, no-cost' basis.

SEAT INSERTS:

Also, for our smaller drivers, we offer foam seat reduction insert rentals as you may have noticed on the online registration system [$15 per event]. Additionally, these seat reduction inserts are also available for purchase at $85, which will save drivers some money should you plan on racing six or more events.

SERIES RULEBOOK:

Attached to this email you will find the complete 2013 Super Series Rulebook. Please take the time to review it if you are unfamiliar, as it explains the event format, on track rules, flags, and race procedures. This document will be covered in detail during the 'First Time Driver Orientation' for all newcomers where all questions will be welcomed.

Once again, thanks for supporting the program and we are excited to go racing this weekend! Please let me know if you have any questions between now and race day!

Cheers,

Brad Packard
General Manager
CalSpeed Karting Center
Club: GRA
Car#: 26

Post by Bob Pl »

Very cool fire suit on Isa,

:gpower:
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Another excellent full day of Go Kart racing ... which again makes me wonder why our Solo GK'ers don't go wheel to wheel. Odd, tracking my STL Miata didn't really grab me but I'm having a ball karting. I DO GET our Shifter folks not doing it ... a race weekend can easily cost $400 to $500 dollars to be competitive, ie. new tires all of the time ... but this SuperSeries @ $125 is an excellent value. I moved up to the "C" class ... still a long way from "A" ... but made progress being comfortable with No Brakes except the two hair pins. (The 50 drivers in A and B are covered by 1.5 seconds.)

Randy Pobst new Pole Position article in Sports Car came out just in time. He talks about the act of turning in being part of the braking process, ie. use your brakes less.
Attachments
Mako by Paige.jpg
Mako by Paige.jpg (274.15 KiB) Viewed 10591 times