General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Nationals Redux

Post by Mako Koiwai »

What happened at the Townhall Meeting?

What was said about next years Nationals, ie. site, etc.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Nationals Redux

Post by George Schilling »

They've supposedly narrowed it down to two sites for next year. The final decision should come soon. I believe we may return to Topeka. Even though people complain about the surface and small lot, it has a great paddock, indoor plumbing, new garages, built in scale, hotels nearby, an abundance of strip clubs, and it's centrally located. I just can't see it moving. But we'll know shortly.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

George Schilling wrote:They've supposedly narrowed it down to two sites for next year. The final decision should come soon. I believe we may return to Topeka. Even though people complain about the surface and small lot, it has a great paddock, indoor plumbing, new garages, built in scale, hotels nearby, an abundance of strip clubs, and it's centrally located. I just can't see it moving. But we'll know shortly.
There was a LOT of talk about them using the road coarse for one of the coarses next year.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

George Schilling wrote:They've supposedly narrowed it down to two sites for next year. The final decision should come soon. I believe we may return to Topeka. Even though people complain about the surface and small lot, it has a great paddock, indoor plumbing, new garages, built in scale, hotels nearby, an abundance of strip clubs, and it's centrally located. I just can't see it moving. But we'll know shortly.
Some people from the natl office are taking a road trip to look at third site next week. :o
Last edited by Jason Isley BS RX8 on Sun Sep 21, 2008 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: There was a LOT of talk about them using the road coarse for one of the coarses next year.
You must have been at a different town hall than me... No mention of that from the SEB.
David Avard
Club: PSCC
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote: There was a LOT of talk about them using the road coarse for one of the coarses next year.
You must have been at a different town hall than me... No mention of that from the SEB.
My guess would be right now, Topeka, Blytheville, AR, and Lincoln, Nebraska.

Lincoln has the advantage of being a huge site, in a town used to having 50k guests, and not that much farther for most participants (primarily those from the SE, but actually closer from the NE, NW, and SW.)

Blytheville's major positives are the size of the lot, and the fact that the city seems to want this event. Negatives are up to 500 miles farther for anyone north of I-70 (many of whom already had the longest drives), as well as only 600 (or so) motel rooms, many of which likely won't be available during that time period.

And the road course was previously mentioned as an option back in 2005 (for 2006), and was widely complained about. Additionally, HPT would likely have to pave more width to bring the road course up to solo safety specs (it's generally about 40 feet wide). And HPT wouldn't be able to rent out the road course during the Solo Nationals (not that they are likely to do that with the Runoffs moving in 2009).
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Any info on the '09 nationals date given?

Jay W
Mako Koiwai wrote:What happened at the Townhall Meeting?

What was said about next years Nationals, ie. site, etc.