Nationals Survey is out!

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Nationals Survey is out!

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

If you went to Nationals check your email and respond to the survey.

Personally I responded with positives for Lincoln nebraska, dallas, and HPT.

F blythville, i'm not gunna take 2 weeks of vacation and transport a car 600 miles further to go to some town with no stoplights and not enough hotel rooms within 50 miles for people to actualy stay in.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: Nationals Survey is out!

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm worried that the airport is too far away from the Lincoln site. With my shoulder and knee shot, I'm concerned about carrying my carry on for such a long walk.

I talked to Grady about the Blythevile site and it sounds really cool, and basically anything we want. We'd have access to buildings, a separate area for a permanent test n tune course.

I don't think the hotel situation would be terminal.

I don't like the location. I don't like the lack of anything resembling a decent place to eat or watch my friends get drunk and embarrass themselves.

I don't like depressed economy that has dramatically increased the crime, drug, and GANG activity in Blythevile. Its not some sweet little Mayberry. Its a place you go and try not to get ripped off or mugged or shot.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Curt Luther
Club: PSCC
Car#: 9
Location: Lookin' in Mike's cooler for "water" ;)...and my underwear

Post by Curt Luther »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:...Blythevile...Its a place you go and try not to get ripped off or mugged or shot.
So, it's the Fontana of Arkansas?...
Rev. Dr. Curtis J. Luther, Esq., M.D.
Aaron Goldsmith

Steve Ekstrand wrote: I talked to Grady about the Blythevile site and it sounds really cool, and basically anything we want. We'd have access to buildings, a separate area for a permanent test n tune course.

I don't think the hotel situation would be terminal.

I don't like the location. I don't like the lack of anything resembling a decent place to eat or watch my friends get drunk and embarrass themselves.

I don't like depressed economy that has dramatically increased the crime, drug, and GANG activity in Blythevile. Its not some sweet little Mayberry. Its a place you go and try not to get ripped off or mugged or shot.
The hotel deal would be damn close if it wasn't terminal.. having to drive an hour to the site each day would suck.

I'm just really against them making us take our one vacation a year in Blythville, I had to take almost 2 weeks off this year to do the pro finale and the National Championships.

I do support the site moving around though, I would go even farther and say have it move around the country like they seem to be looking to do with the run-offs now. Just publish the locations 3 years out so people can make plans. It would let us put nationals in places that people and their families actually want to go to. I know for certain there are folks on the San Diego international sports counsel that are interested in making a bid for nationals if it was possible.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

If they only sent it to 2008 Nationals participants, that blows. I think my opinion is valid too.

What are the KC and Dallas venues? I thought there were other issues with those sites.
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Sebastian Rios wrote:If they only sent it to 2008 Nationals participants, that blows. I think my opinion is valid too.

What are the KC and Dallas venues? I thought there were other issues with those sites.
KC is the sports complex where the tour was, I think the Chiefs and some other team play there. I seem to recall TX being Texas Motor Speedway.

Your lack of attendance in 2008, and poor judgment (buying an STS Honda), shows you are incapable of making a good decision. :lol:
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:If they only sent it to 2008 Nationals participants, that blows. I think my opinion is valid too.

KC is the sports complex where the tour was, I think the Chiefs and some other team play there. I seem to recall TX being Texas Motor Speedway.

Your lack of attendance in 2008, and poor judgment (buying an STS Honda), shows you are incapable of making a good decision. :lol:
See, this is why I voted for Bryan on pick the winners. :cry:
Actually I think the decision to stop autocrossing a Subaru was a good one.

I know you've seen it Jason, but for those of you that don't frequent SCCAforums.com here is a panoramic of the Lincoln site. :heyes:
http://dvti.com/airpark.html
Aaron Goldsmith

Sebastian Rios wrote: See, this is why I voted for Bryan on pick the winners. :cry:
Actually I think the decision to stop autocrossing a Subaru was a good one.

I know you've seen it Jason, but for those of you that don't frequent SCCAforums.com here is a panoramic of the Lincoln site. :heyes:
http://dvti.com/airpark.html
Hot.
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Has anyone else gotten a survey yet? Isn't the announcement of the site supposed to be soon?
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Post by Christine Grice »

I filled out the survey already.
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Has anyone else gotten a survey yet? Isn't the announcement of the site supposed to be soon?
10-15-08ish. :? Going to try to get some scoop while I am in Topeka this week. :mrgreen:
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Got mine and sent it.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Aaron Goldsmith

Sebastian Rios wrote:Has anyone else gotten a survey yet? Isn't the announcement of the site supposed to be soon?
Pretty much everyone i've talked to recently that went to nationals have got and returned the survey. They also all pretty much independently wrote the same thing into the comment field under blytheville, "Will not attend nationals if it is here."
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Pretty much everyone i've talked to recently that went to nationals have got and returned the survey. They also all pretty much independently wrote the same thing into the comment field under blytheville, "Will not attend nationals if it is here."
Not me. I said that about HPT. Solo has lived w/o enclosed buildings for tech/impound for 50 yrs., I imagine it can get by again w/o them!
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Sounds like it's only going to 2008 participants, that steams me since I've been to HPT 2/3 of the times nationals has been held there. :x

I will go back to HPT in 2009 if I must, but would rather Lincoln or even Blythville.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Email Nancy Downing and see if she can send you the survey.
~Christine Grice
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

No Dropped Events ... dedicated AX'ers always make it ... work is not an excuse! :evil:
Aaron Goldsmith

Bill Schenker wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Not me. I said that about HPT. Solo has lived w/o enclosed buildings for tech/impound for 50 yrs., I imagine it can get by again w/o them!
Don't care much about the buildings, just don't want to spend next years vacation taking a car 600 miles farther to stay an hour away from the site because of lack of local accommodations and still be going to Blythville.

Lincoln (225k) has almost double the population of Topeka(120k) so at least you know there are services enough to support us.. while Blythville's pop is.. 16k, apparently down from 18k in 2000.

Plus you can fly directly into Lincoln if you're willing to go through Denver.
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Bill Schenker wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote: Pretty much everyone i've talked to recently that went to nationals have got and returned the survey. They also all pretty much independently wrote the same thing into the comment field under blytheville, "Will not attend nationals if it is here."
Don't care much about the buildings, just don't want to spend next years vacation taking a car 600 miles farther to stay an hour away from the site because of lack of local accommodations and still be going to Blythville.

Lincoln (225k) has almost double the population of Topeka(120k) so at least you know there are services enough to support us.. while Blythville's pop is.. 16k, apparently down from 18k in 2000.
^ +1

:thumbup:

RanchoCucamonga to Blytheville (1803mi): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=R ... e=UTF8&z=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rancho Cucamonga to Topeka(1515mi): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=R ... 683594&z=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rancho Cucamonga to Lincoln(1455): http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&saddr=R ... e=UTF8&z=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(1803-1515=288mi, = 4.8hrs) x a round trip: 576, 9.6 hrs
Last edited by Christine Grice on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
~Christine Grice
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Blytheville would have buildings too.

Add RV hook ups and the site itself would be a dream.

Blythevile is the problem. The town is a major pit. People talk about places like Salina as an example of how much fun Nationals can be in a small town and they have no clue. Salina is many times the town Blythevile is.

HPT was perfect for me. 50amp hook up on asphalt. I couldn't have driven a course any longer than those. :( I like Topeka. I friends there and I know where to shop and eat, and.... Surface didn't seem that bad. Just too small.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bill Schenker

Post by Bill Schenker »

Don't get me wrong; I'm all over Lincoln. I'm just not against AR. I am, however, in no way about HPT. Which IS a shame, given we have the Avards there, not to mention the veggie burgers @ Pat's Pig!
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

And WIll at Midwest Spec Racers who brought my trailer out of Glamis mode.

And Helga at Baby Dolls who messed up my knee, tore my rotator cuff and ruptured a cervical disc with that fantastic lap dance in the upstairs VIP.

Oh wait, I told you guys I tripped and fell at the track.....

And I told my students it was a horrific end over end wreck at a 145mph.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:And WIll at Midwest Spec Racers who brought my trailer out of Glamis mode.

And Helga at Baby Dolls who messed up my knee, tore my rotator cuff and ruptured a cervical disc with that fantastic lap dance in the upstairs VIP.

Oh wait, I told you guys I tripped and fell at the track.....

And I told my students it was a horrific end over end wreck at a 145mph.
Stacey said that you were taken out by the VCOD, and then fell against the DOD.

VCOD = Vacuum Cleaner 'o Death :)
DOD = Dresser of Dismemberment :)
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
David Avard
Car#: 13

Post by David Avard »

Given the choice of Lincoln or Blytheville, hmmm. 180 miles and plenty of motel rooms, Shakers, college girls, etc. vs 500 miles, 60 mile drives to motels, etc, I don't think it's much competition.

I will miss sleeping in my own room, and having a dozen house guests.

And if anyone is curious, I'm not moving the Lincoln. Houses are too much, and I'm too cheap to pay $10k to a realtor any more often than I have to. Plus, we finally have friends here in Topeka (that only took 4.5 years :) ).
David Avard
'89 Honda Civic Si
'07 Mazda 3
'99 Jeep Grand Cherokee
'88 UHaul
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!

Post by Sebastian Rios »

It looks like Blytheville isn't as big as we'd thought.

http://www.dvti.com/blytheville.html

Still big enough especially if we are able to get rid of Fed-Ex (yeah right) on one side.