Buttonwillow Track Day with Cal Club and Speed Ventures

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Thomas Barrett
Club: GRA
Car#: 519

Buttonwillow Track Day with Cal Club and Speed Ventures

Post by Thomas Barrett »

If you are thinking about wheel to wheel road racing or just want to check out the SCCA Club Racing environment you should come to this event.

It is a Speed Ventures track day at Buttonwillow combined with a SCCA race.
Here is the link and the pertinent text below:
http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/RE_10_12_08.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On November 15 and 16 we have a very special weekend planned for our racers, workers and Club members. It’s a double points single Regional. There is a one-hour SPRINT race for Enduro Class cars but no driver change is required. The price will be very inviting even by Cal Club standards so you don’t want to miss this one.

Now the Really Special Stuff - Speed Ventures will be a part of our weekend and within our weekend event, they will run two one-day Track Day events. The Saturday event is for folks new to Track Days, and Sunday for more experienced folks – or individuals who are new to track days but have taken the Saturday event. There is a VERY SPECIAL CAL CLUB DISCOUNT AVAILABLE TO ALL CAL CLUB MEMBERS UNTIL NOV 1. Pricing for non-Cal Club members is still below what Speed Ventures normally charges, but for Cal Club members it is WAY BELOW. You have until Nov 1 to sign up at http://www.speedventures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do it soon as the Cal Club discount only applies until Nov 1.

Sounds like a fun event to me. I plan on being there to help instruct on Saturday and running on Sunday if anyone would like to come and hang out?
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Life is like a race, the best times win!
Jeff Ringer
Club: PSCC
Car#: 741

Re: Buttonwillow Track Day with Cal Club and Speed Ventures

Post by Jeff Ringer »

im probably going to do this sunday buddy

how are they going to fill saturday with only noobs

how much track time do you think we will get sunday
my middle name is 'The'

previous vehicles:83 chevette scooter-84 chrysler laser tubro-86 gti -93 probe gt-91 944s2 - 00 gti 1.8t-86 325e-89 325i-90 xj6- 67 lemans 4 speed -98 bmw m3/4/5
Grant Heathman

Post by Grant Heathman »

more than you or your car needs, like (5) 20-25min sessions as long as you are on time. They SV do not wait for you the event starts and runs ontime almost always which is really nice to plan the drive home.
Thomas Barrett

Post by Thomas Barrett »

That is true. I always go home tired and feeling like I drove all I could stand.

It will be a challenge to get that many nubies, help them out if you know anyone.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Thomas Barrett

Post by Thomas Barrett »

THINK ABOUT NOVEMBER!!!!!!

On November 15 and 16 we have a very special weekend planned for our racers, workers and Club members. It’s a double points single regional. There is a one hour SPRINT race for Enduro Class cars but no driver change is required. The price will be very inviting even by Cal Club standards so you don’t want to miss this one.

Now the Really Special Stuff - Speed Ventures will be a part of our weekend and within our weekend event, they will run two one day Track Day events. The Saturday event is for folks new to Track Days, and Sunday for more experienced folks – or individuals who are new to track days but have taken the Saturday event. There is a VERY SPECIAL CAL CLUB DISCOUNT AVAILABLE TO ALL CAL CLUB MEMBERS UNTIL NOV 1. Pricing for non Cal Club members is still below what Speed Ventures normally charges, but for Cal Club members it is WAY BELOW. You have until Nov 1 to sign up at http://www.speedventures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and do it soon as the Cal Club discount only applies until Nov 1. Attention Solo Racers, this one is specifically designed for YOU.

Don’t forget the LA Auto Show, it starts Nov 21 and runs through Nov 30 and is always a big hit. Besides, we are supporting the work of Cal Club member and good friend Scott Webb.

Nov 22 - You don’t want to go to the car show in LA – you want to be at the Cal Club annual awards banquet with guest speaker Mike Lewis and Host Joe Benson – you can register now on line, at motorsportreg.com. It is going to be a great night and you do not want to miss it.

This Saturday event is specially designed for solo drivers to get on track in a safe and fun environment.
I know if you tried it you would enjoy it. Great Track, great seat time and no pressure to go faster than you are comfortable.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

I think I will sign-up for Saturday....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Renee Angel
Club: No$
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

Be careful guys - Oli's a "ringer". :lol:
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

So Renee!

Are we going to take you off of grid for a session or two and strap you in to go lapping in the Alvaka Networks #22 Corvette?

Wear your cotton clothing and bring your helmet! You are doing laps girl!

Oli
Thomas Barrett

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Oli Thordarson wrote:So Renee!

Are we going to take you off of grid for a session or two and strap you in to go lapping in the Alvaka Networks #22 Corvette?

Wear your cotton clothing and bring your helmet! You are doing laps girl!

Oli

I will get the pictures of the look on her face for you :D
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Thomas Barrett

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Jeff Ringer wrote:im probably going to do this sunday buddy

how are they going to fill saturday with only noobs

I think you can run on Saturday too as long as you know there will be noobies on the track and give them some room.

so far there are only 8 signed up.

We need some more drivers.
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

I expect it to fill up. Since there is only one run group each on Saturday (for noobies and relative noobs) and Sunday (for experienced drivers) it will fill for sure.

Each run group only supports about 20 cars so they will limit it at that. Buttonwillow is popular, when the general public finds out about it and is allowed to sign-up that will be it for the discounted SCCA deal. Today is the last day to sign-up with the SCCA discount.

Here is the calendar:
http://www.calclub.com/html/html2/2008N ... hedule.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Adrian Covert
Club: CASOC
Car#: 127

Post by Adrian Covert »

I signed up, and with luck I will actually be in town. I did not see any Cal Club discount applied?
Last edited by Adrian Covert on Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

Here is what I read at this URL: http://www.speedventures.com/events/eve ... spx?id=206" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ATTENTION: This event is open to Cal Club members only until Nov. 1. Cal Club Members will be automatically have $30 taken off their registration fees. Please sign up and indicate your membership and include your member number and we will adjust your track fee to $120 before charging your credit card. After Nov. 1 the Cal Club discount will no longer be in effect and we will open the event up to non-members for $150. If you are NOT a Cal Club member, you may sign up but you are not guaranteed a spot until Nov. 1, assuming there are spots left (we will not charge your credit card).

SATURDAY is for Beginners only. If you have 1 or 2 days experience and are willing to drive in a beginner school environment you are welcome to join us. However, keep in mind we will have strictly controlled passing as well as mandatory lead follow sessions to start the day!

SUNDAY is for Advanced and High-Intermediate drivers only. If you sine up for Sunday and it turns out you do not have the proper experience at the race track, we will prevent you from driving and not give you a refund or credit. Please contact us if you have any questions about your ability to run in this group.
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

Saturday is almost full. I think they cap it at 23 and it is at 20 now.

For some reason Sunday for the more experienced drivers is only booked for five cars so far.

Did you guys hear Renee Angel is going out on track on Saturday in a T1 Corvette? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

The only Cal Club Solo guys I recognize on either of these lists are Tom Barrett and Matt Geier. Of course my car is registered, but it will actually be Renee taking the #22 Alvaka Networks Corvette out for a session.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/att ... 1999999656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.speedventures.com/events/att ... 1999999655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like only one or two spots left on Saturday and maybe about five on Sunday.

Oli
Thomas Barrett

Post by Thomas Barrett »

Oli Thordarson wrote:The only Cal Club Solo guys I recognize on either of these lists are Tom Barrett and Matt Geier. Of course my car is registered, but it will actually be Renee taking the #22 Alvaka Networks Corvette out for a session.
http://www.speedventures.com/events/att ... 1999999656" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.speedventures.com/events/att ... 1999999655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It looks like only one or two spots left on Saturday and maybe about five on Sunday.

Oli

An almost open track for a discount price. I don;t think it gets better than that.

I would sure like a few solo people on track so I can pass them. Especially the ones that beat the heck out of me every month on the solo course.

You know who you are :)
Tom Barrett
Corvette Specialty C6
Solo Safety Steward
Adrian Covert
Car#: 127

Post by Adrian Covert »

I'll be there on Saturday so you can pass me Tom! :thumbup:
Renee Angel
Club: No$
Car#: 77

Post by Renee Angel »

Oli:

My helmet is locked up in the Solo 2 car and I can't get to it, so I'll havae to pass :lol:

Renee
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

You guys do realize Renee is not a novice to track days. Plenty of laps in the old Solo 1 format. That's the good news. The bad news is she didn't get her AOL email address for nothing :roll:
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Rick Brown wrote:You guys do realize Renee is not a novice to track days. Plenty of laps in the old Solo 1 format. That's the good news. The bad news is she didn't get her AOL email address for nothing :roll:
Come on, Rick. It was only two cars she flipped right?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:
Rick Brown wrote:You guys do realize Renee is not a novice to track days. Plenty of laps in the old Solo 1 format. That's the good news. The bad news is she didn't get her AOL email address for nothing :roll:
Come on, Rick. It was only two cars she flipped right?
True. And one was Renee's pit crew fault - he swapped out the front brake pads on one side of the car only. First hard braking, instant turn into a barrier.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Steve Abbott
Car#: 48

Post by Steve Abbott »

Thomas Barrett wrote:
Oli Thordarson wrote: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oli

I would sure like a few solo people on track so I can pass them. Especially the ones that beat the heck out of me every month on the solo course.

That sounds tempting.

Steve
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Abbott wrote:
Thomas Barrett wrote:
Oli Thordarson wrote: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Oli

That sounds tempting.

Steve
Better read that again Steve. Tom is requesting people he can pass. :P :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

George Schilling wrote:
Steve Abbott wrote:
Thomas Barrett wrote:

That sounds tempting.

Steve
Better read that again Steve. Tom is requesting people he can pass. :P :lol:
That's not a given. :D
Oli Thordarson

Post by Oli Thordarson »

Renee Angel wrote:Oli:

My helmet is locked up in the Solo 2 car and I can't get to it, so I'll havae to pass :lol:

Renee
:ibrightdea: :ibrightdea: :ibrightdea:

That is OK. I have an extra helmet!!!

Oli