Novices & points cards

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Julian Tsin
Club: No$
Car#: 212

Novices & points cards

Post by Julian Tsin »

I noticed that none of the novices in my last event had a points card (they all had 600 series numbers).

So I am wondering why should I get a points card. I can just run weekend memberships (when I can make it to an event) and 600 series numbers until I'm bumped out of the Novice class, right?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 18

Re: Novices & points cards

Post by Michael Palero »

Julian Tsin wrote:I noticed that none of the novices in my last event had a points card (they all had 600 series numbers).

So I am wondering why should I get a points card. I can just run weekend memberships (when I can make it to an event) and 600 series numbers until I'm bumped out of the Novice class, right?

The points card allows you to pre-register for the event online. That saves you a good chunk of time that you could use for other things like car prep or course-walking.
It also allows you to accrue points for a championship series.

Also, for 2009, there is a rule proposal in the works to allow novices to run a mini championship series against each other.
That rule would change Novice into a real class with a year end title, jacket and trophy.

The proposal is here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=869
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Julian Tsin wrote:I noticed that none of the novices in my last event had a points card (they all had 600 series numbers).

You're actually talking about two different things. SCCA full membership vs SCCA weekend membership and CSCC Solo membership (AKA points card) vs not.

The weekend membership is likely going up to the SCCA recommended $15 next year so getting a full membership (minus $15 discount for a weekend one and minus another $15 for putting an SCCA member number as a referral) will be cheaper if you attend 3 or 4 events.

The points card allows you to earn points and gives you a permanent number. And for now let's you pre-register online. Next year (or maybe sooner) we are planning to let everyone pre-register and pre-pay online.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

if you buy it now, you get a the rest of the year free, permanent number and the ability to register online.
or prospective newbies, get your 2009 points card now and get 3 months free. Card will be valid from 10/01/2008 to 12/31/2009. Please visit link below or go to the "MEMBERSHIP INFORMATION" section on the left and fill out the application and mail it in. Please follow all directions.

Current members you can renew at anytime.

PayPal NOW available.

Thanks,
Giovanni Jaramillo
SCCA-Cal Club Region (Solo Racing)
Membership Chairman
http://tinyurl.com/5ons3g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Post by Tito Sar »

Is my Points Card Number my "permanent" car number? Or are they two different things. :geek:
Aaron Goldsmith
Club: CASOC
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Tito Sar wrote:Is my Points Card Number my "permanent" car number? Or are they two different things. :geek:
Yup
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Tito Sar wrote:Is my Points Card Number my "permanent" car number? Or are they two different things. :geek:
Permanent is a relative term. It's permanent as long as you renew it every year. :)
Julian Tsin

Post by Julian Tsin »

Yes, I am ready to pounce on my number of choice for the new year. My only question is... if I register for the 1/10 practice does that mean that the number I have now is what I'm stuck with for the year? :mrgreen:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I doubt you'll have much luck pouncing. There is very little desirable that isn't already locked up. Most good numbers are passed on to friends as they retire, move or change numbers.

If you're new and think you're going to somehow come in and snipe a single or double digit number, you're one, being pretty rude given we have people waiting 5 yrs for such a thing, and hopefully if the system works correctly, you're wasting time and energy.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tito Sar
Car#: 562

Post by Tito Sar »

Speaking of numbers, where do you guys purchase your vinyl numbers and class? :geek:
Aaron Goldsmith

Tito Sar wrote:Speaking of numbers, where do you guys purchase your vinyl numbers and class? :geek:
I've gotten all of mine from Jayson Woodruff.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
Tito Sar wrote:Speaking of numbers, where do you guys purchase your vinyl numbers and class? :geek:
I've gotten all of mine from Jayson Woodruff.

Jay is one of core members. Former Rocket Scientist. Now saving the world through alternative energy. On the side he does vinyl. http://jaycomservices.com/vinyl/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also still use a former member who moved to Colorado, Gunnar Netteship. He's at http://www.lockstockandvinyl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Giovanni Jaramillo

Steve Ekstrand wrote:If you're new and think you're going to somehow come in and snipe a single or double digit number, you're one, being pretty rude given we have people waiting 5 yrs for such a thing, and hopefully if the system works correctly, you're wasting time and energy.
What he said! And I'm the membership chairman! Couldn't have said it better. Those people waiting are core, veteran members who usually attend nationals and sometimes have co-drivers where single, double digit numbers are most coveted.
Julian Tsin

Post by Julian Tsin »

Gio, I think you know my situation. I am waiting on a number that has great nostalgic value for me. In fact, I am currently sitting in the former said area code. ;)

I am not attempting to "snipe" a single or double digit number. The fact of the matter is that I had tried contacting the current person to see if they would renew or not and even tried to offer a deal of some sort but received ZERO responses. That being said, I believe it's within my rights to see if the person renews or not in the new year and if they don't then I should have a fair shot at it. The person in question could've just sent me a quick email to tell me that they intend to keep it, etc and I would keep my back up number.

I don't know where this beligerence to new comers comes from when I often read that autocrossers are friendly and open to new comers. Despite this, I say 'good day' to you, sir... and wish you and your family Happy Holidays.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Conversely Julian..... Where does the belligerence towards the core members and veterens who make the events happen come from by self-entitled non-working, lot risking newbies???

Maybe you're the exception, but experience causes some of us to be wary. That said, we welcome newbies, and try hard to get them up to speed and "one of us" as fast as possible. I know of nobody who would want to discourage newbies are shoe them away the last two years.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Julian,

I think you'll find us to be a warm, friendly group in person. Sometimes written communication is just a poor substitute for face-to-face discussion.

Every year we see the newest people trying to grab the lowest numbers. It's a "frayed nerve" subject, so please pardon any responses that seem less than welcoming.

If you can't convince the current holder of the expired number to transfer it to you directly, I recommend submitting your Points Card Entry on January 1st. You may well find it's successful, but just in case it isn't you should provide a couple alternate numbers for our Membership Chair to work with.

Best of luck to you!

Mike Simanyi
Aaron Goldsmith

Sure sounds to me like he wants a 3 digit number anyway. I say more power to him then, though 100's are also highly covetted by our national competitors.

I can get you that 450 will be available if someone wants it, I'll be moving to 32.
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: 00100000
Yeah, but what's your number in Hex?
Giovanni Jaramillo

Julian Tsin wrote:Gio, I think you know my situation. I am waiting on a number that has great nostalgic value for me. In fact, I am currently sitting in the former said area code. ;)
Ah yes, I know which number you want, and like Mike S said...just wait til the new year, and if it's still available, I'll switch you over to that one.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Julian ... when you meet Stevie E in person you won't believe it's the same person/bully that you've run into on the boards. :lol:

Welcome ... and as you know, for every Rule, there is an Exception. ;)
Jayson Woodruff
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Aaron Goldsmith wrote: 00100000
Yeah, but what's your number in Hex?
Duuhhh, 20.

Jay W
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I'm an asshole.... Be afraid! You could end up buried under my trailer! Of course, you're also welcome to come in and have a drink if buried doesn't suit you! ;) :computer:
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600