Dual Adjustables

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Dual Adjustables

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Okay, my lesson for the week is to try and figure out exactly what dual adjustables are and why you'd want them instead of regular shocks. So I get that DAs give you two different damping levels to choose from, but I have a couple questions:

Can you set both levels manually, so you'd have one that's pretty stiff for autox, and one that's more compliant for the street?

I've looked pretty hard online, but haven't seen DAs offered (seen multi-adjust, but not dual). Are they something that has to be custom made?

What's the relative price difference between a good set of regular dampers and a set of DAs?

Is there anything else I need to consider?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 17

Re: Dual Adjustables

Post by Christine Grice »

Ok, lets start here:

Single adjustable shock: Adjust rebound (with a range of settings from soft to stiff), typical adjustment is on the top or bottom of the shock.

Double adjustable: Adjust rebound and compression seperatly

"The category, double adjustable, comes from the fact that the compression and rebound damping is adjusted externally instead of removing the damper from the car. The compression adjuster is located on the remote reservoir. The rebound adjuster is located in the eyelet at the base of the shaft. The main valving, located inside the damper, may also be altered in a matter of minutes, by removing the damper from the car."
qutoed from: http://www.naake.com/Penskeadjustable.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triple adjustable: Adjust high and low speed rebound, and compression. (I think, need to double check)
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

High and Low speed compression
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Oops, I can never keep it straight. High and Low speed compression.

Anyway, the point is, its not an adjustment between two "settings" its the ability to adjust an aspect of the shock. A single adjustable shock is simple and easy, only one knob to turn. But that knob might have 8 settings ranging from soft -> stiff.

A double adjustable shock allows for a lot more setting combinations but if your not careful you can really screw stuff up. And if you have trouble with doubles, then just forget triples and so on.

(Marshall needs to chime in here somewhere, he is my reference for most things suspension)
~Christine Grice
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

Kurt Rahn wrote:figure out exactly what dual adjustables are and why you'd want them instead of regular shocks
For most people? To confuse themselves and screw up a setup to make the car "feel" faster. Can be useful in certain cases, but least confusing way to go is to just have a good set of dampers valved for the springs you'll have on the car and use other methods to effect handling.
Last edited by Aaron Goldsmith on Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!

Some good basic reading

Shock tuning guide written by Bob Tunnell: http://www.bimmerhaus.com/tech/shocktuningTN.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simple -(very cheap and crappy) single adjustable example: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/agx.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Koni's North America Website: http://www.koniracing.com/autocross.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Koni's guide to autocross setup: http://www.koniracing.com/autocrosstune.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Christine Grice
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote: but least confusing way to go is to bust have a good set of dampers valved for the springs you'll have on the car and use other methods to effect handling.
I agree, I was happiest with my WRX after I bought the non-externally adjustable Progress coilovers that Josh Sortor (2005 Champ) had already done the development work on. It was nice having one less tuning variable, and I was able to adjust handling with alignment and tire pressures.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Sweet. Thanks, guys! Glad I asked.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

The need for adjustables can vary by car too. My truck handled very different from concrete to asphalt to that crap we run on in San Diego. So I dropped my nice non-adjustables for some cheap single adjustables (many SA adjust compression and rebound at the same time btw). It made a large difference to tune the truck at each venue. I out them on all 4 corners, but could have gotten away with just the rears.

I would think stock class cars, being so reliant on shocks only to tune suspension it might make sense to do as I described above. Prepared cars get a lot less solely out of the shocks, so a fixed tune on the shock may be less of a determent, assuming that fixed tune is right.

Jay W
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

I will personally never again run single adjustable or non-adjustable shocks. Call me an elitist bullet train-detracting chicken-caging snob. :mrgreen:
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Mike Simanyi wrote:I will personally never again run single adjustable or non-adjustable shocks. Call me an elitist bullet train-detracting chicken-caging snob. :mrgreen:
You're a tweaker - you need knobs :shock:
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Bob Beamesderfer

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Max Hayter wrote:
Mike Simanyi wrote:I will personally never again run single adjustable or non-adjustable shocks. Call me an elitist bullet train-detracting chicken-caging snob. :mrgreen:
You're a tweaker - you need knobs :shock:
At least he isn't a knob. :lol:

The Konis on set just like they were when I first dialed them in with Toby's help. Changed only to save my back on the trip to and from Atwater. I'd rather adjust tire pressures.
John Coffey
Car#: 250

Post by John Coffey »

One point to keep in mind, adding adjustability into a suspension is basically a waste of money unless you actually adjust things. The more often you test and adjust, the more you get your money back in better performance. The classic bad example is the Viper GTS Coupe driver who pays five figures for Penske 8760 quad adjustable shocks and then asks Erik Messley to, "Set them for the best handling on all the race tracks I'll go to" when the guy comes to pick up the car to drive it home.
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

}:) :mrgreen:
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

John Coffey wrote:One point to keep in mind, adding adjustability into a suspension is basically a waste of money unless you actually adjust things. The more often you test and adjust, the more you get your money back in better performance. The classic bad example is the Viper GTS Coupe driver who pays five figures for Penske 8760 quad adjustable shocks and then asks Erik Messley to, "Set them for the best handling on all the race tracks I'll go to" when the guy comes to pick up the car to drive it home.
I'm not 100% in agreement with that. The adjusters still perform an important part of the overall valving even if you don't adjust them constantly.