First time with Cal Club Autocross: April Test N Tune

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Clint Judd

First time with Cal Club Autocross: April Test N Tune

Post by Clint Judd »

First, thanks to those managing this forum and to anyone that reads/replies.

I'm hoping to join my first Cal Club / SCCA Autocross event at the April Fontana Test N Tune to enjoy some autocross. I have done autocross 4 times in my car with 3 different clubs, each time making improvements to myself and the car, but I have not done any SCCA events. I am undecided on Saturday or Sunday, but leaning toward Saturday assuming there will be more runs for more seat time.

My car is an LS-swapped '70 Nova with some modest suspension, brake & tire upgrades. I don't know how much it matters for Test N Tune, but is it safe to assume I'd be in the CAM-T class? Do you get many classic muscle cars at these Test N Tune events?

Any advice on which day i should attend? I'm there to have fun, learn more about my car and driving, watch other cars, and see how I can improve upon my time. I couldn't care less about placing, just as long as I have a safe and fun time. I'd like to avoid traffic if I can, because I do need to drive from Ventura County. I have a friend who might also be interested in joining for his 1st time autocrossing in his '67 Camaro.

I have an older Scorpion EXO helmet that is marked "M2005" at the back inside. Should I be concerned if I can't find a holographic label?

Here are some photos of my car from the last event I went to in Santa Maria w/ the Vapor Trail Vettes club.

Tom Kamman

Re: First time with Cal Club Autocross: April Test N Tune

Post by Tom Kamman »

A3943D96-3D31-4A16-8420-CD15DE98BA80.jpeg
A3943D96-3D31-4A16-8420-CD15DE98BA80.jpeg (212.85 KiB) Viewed 19478 times
Awesome Nova Clint. Yes CAM-T allows pretty much any modifications as long as you are on a 200TW or higher tire. For Saturday practice even the tire rule is optional. Saturday you do have to sign up in advance because they limit the number of entries. Sunday is nice because they don’t sell out, and if you sign up for Xruns you get 8 laps. Right now in CAL-CLUB we don’t get a huge turnout in CAM-T, like we do down in San Diego, but we do get great people in all the classes that are very willing to help out. Loaner helmets are available but yours may pass, bring it anyway. I won’t be at this event, because it’s the Same weekend as the Optima Ultimate Streetcar in Vegas, but I’m hoping to see that Nova run soon!
Stephen Yeoh
Solo Chair
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Stephen Yeoh »

Welcome Clint,

I drive in from Ventura County as well. There's usually a little more traffic on Saturday, but at the time that you'd need to be on the road, it's generally not too bad.
Stephen Yeoh
Cal Club Autocross Chair
Clint Judd

Post by Clint Judd »

Thanks both for the kind replies and helpful info! If I do get a spot for Saturday am I likely to get more or less runs than the Sunday event? Are both days timed, just not official on Saturday?

I would likely leave very early the morning of, so I would expect traffic to the event to be very light. I do worry about return traffic on Sunday since everyone's heading home from the weekend. Traffic isn't really a big decision maker for me though. I mainly just want to have a good time and learn.

Based on the Cal Club website for "newcomers", it seems there is a novice course walk available on Sunday? Perhaps that would be a good learning opportunity for me.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

We typically try to do a novice course walk on Saturday's too (if we have interest...which we usually do). Either way, if you need in any help at any of our events (as a newbie or otherwise), just let us know (anyone on the event staff) and we'll be happy to answer questions, help find you some instruction, or whatever you need to get off on the right foot with us.

As for runs: On Saturdays you typically get 12 runs (if the day goes well, we can sometimes squeeze a few more in for everybody). On Sunday, you get 4 runs as part of your event entry and if you want, you can also buy an additional 4 runs (called X-Runs) when you register. You can usually add X Runs at registration on Sunday morning if we're not sold out on them. We also typically have a "fun run" session at the end of the day on Sundays too. Basically, we have the lot and if folks are willing to stay to help us pack the motorhome, we're happy to hang around and let event participants run the course (typically 2 x 30 minute sessions....you can easily get 10 - 15 runs if your tires can handle it!). The only cost for fun runs is helping us pack up when we're done (typically 10-15 mins at most if everybody helps out).

Either way, welcome to Cal Club! And we'll see you out there!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Clint Judd

Post by Clint Judd »

Thank you for the additional details! I think I will plan on Sunday knowing I'm happy to help pack-up and it will give me time on Saturday to do any final prep on the car.

Are adult passengers with helmets allowed at your event? I remember one of the clubs would not allow me to have even an adult passenger. If I'm able to coordinate run/work groups, I'd love if my buddy and I can ride along with eachother for some of the runs to learn from one another. I'm not good enough for the additional weight to matter but I do really enjoy sharing the experience :lol:
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Yes, we do allow adult passengers. If they aren't a driver in the event, all we ask is that they come sign our passenger book and get a yellow wristband (free) at the registration table. If you're running for points, you can't ride before your competition runs (but if you're just out for fun and not running for points its no problem moving your entry to Time Only class....then you can ride with anybody before your runs). During fun runs, you can ride with each other all you want.

And just FYI, no problem with passengers on practice days at all. Heck we encourage riding along with others as a tool to learn (and it's a great way to get to know folks).

See you out there!
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Clint Judd

Post by Clint Judd »

Awesome! Thank you for the kind and complete response. I may do the competition runs alone and then see how things go
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Clint Judd wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am Awesome! Thank you for the kind and complete response. I may do the competition runs alone and then see how things go
The big upside to doing the Saturday Practice event is that you will have the opportunity to ride in other people's cars which can go a long way in terms of improving your own driving. On Sunday, most people are trying to run competitive times and won't allow passengers; but you can take advantage of the dedicated instructor lane where you can get in car instruction and even have an instructor take you for a lap in your own car. Either way the first step is to just come out and see how we run!
Clint Judd

Post by Clint Judd »

Thank you. Unfortunately with what's going on right now I am no longer planning to register for the April event. I will keep my eyes peeled for future events and look forward to joining you at a future date.
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Hey Clint,

Glad to see you find your way to Cal Club. Once this C-19 stuff is calmed down I hope to see you at an event! Would love to see some more CAM-T cars coming out.
Clint Judd

Post by Clint Judd »

Thanks Chad. I"d definitely like to meet you and would love to get or give a ride a long with you. My car is stock-based suspension and I have no plans of budgeting for something better, so I have to focus on upgrading the driver as much as possible :lol:
Chad-1stGen
Car#: 268

Post by Chad-1stGen »

Clint Judd wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:41 am Thanks Chad. I"d definitely like to meet you and would love to get or give a ride a long with you. My car is stock-based suspension and I have no plans of budgeting for something better, so I have to focus on upgrading the driver as much as possible :lol:
You can accomplish a lot with the stock parts with some simple mods. Guldstrand mod and a good alignment go a long ways.