New to Autocross

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Timothy Wilson

New to Autocross

Post by Timothy Wilson »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to autocross and am looking for a good entry level car to get into. What are some suggestions?
I have two classic cars that I don't want to tear up but can use.
One: a 1963 1/2 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 390cui and a C6 Auto, the only mods are disc brakes and a high rise aluminum intake.
Two: a 1955 Hudson Hornet with a 320cui and a Hydromatic auto and its bone stock.
Should I use these cars or buy something more competitive, and is a manual more competitive than an auto for autocross?

Thanks!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: New to Autocross

Post by Anthony P. »

I'd bring one of them out and compete. It depends on what your budget is, what kind of cars you like and what's fun.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Normally I'd suggest just coming out to a practice day and go for rides in various cars and talk to the competitors, but of course things aren't currently normal. Spectators aren't allowed at the moment, but you can enter the event, have some fun driving, watch various cars run, and talk to other drivers from the appropriate social distance. You can do this either day, Saturday is an all day thing, running and working both in the morning and afternoon, and you get at least 12 runs. Sunday is a Championship where you run in a specific class, and is only 1/2 day with 4 runs.

Link to event details if you haven't already seen it: CLICK HERE
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Tom Kamman

Post by Tom Kamman »

Just bring the Galaxie out and see how you like it, there is a cool 4 door Chevelle still on 15” tires out here having a blast. Come join the fun!