Hi All! Autocross Newbie here

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

niki smith
Car#: 710

Hi All! Autocross Newbie here

Post by niki smith »

Hello everyone, I am Niki!

I am very excited about getting into Autocross. I have never attended an AutoX event or participated! I have been lurking around the forum every since I picked up my 2017 WRX and have eagerly been waiting to join Cal Club and attend my first event. My plan is to attend the Ladies Autocross School on October 30th, and go forward from there. I would like to attend as many practices and events I can, especially during my first season. I know I have a lot of researching to do and I am sure I will have lots of questions to ask but I wanted to start off with a hello :)

I really like the system of working/volunteering to be able to drive. When I played roller derby we had the same philosophy (you had to work events to skate in bouts) and it built a really great community, I am looking forward to that as much as the actual driving!

Looking forward to meeting you all soon
George Schilling
Club Representative
Club: CASOC
Car#: 66

Re: Hi All! Autocross Newbie here

Post by George Schilling »

Welcome Niki. Thanks for checking in. You're going to have fun....guaranteed! Why wait until the ladies school. Come out Sunday and get started. We've got a novice coordinator and instructors on hand to help you get started. Register in advance to save $10. You can register here.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Since you've never attended an autox, it may also be helpful to come out Saturday for some ride alongs and/or course walks.
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

Thank you guys for the response! I was thinking starting Autocross with the Ladies School would be a great way to learn the basics. I would love to come out to an Autocross weekend before that! Sadly this coming weekend is a no go for me because of work.

Is it the same deal in Fontana on October 22 & 23? I can come out Saturdays for course walks, ride alongs and helping? Then Sunday I an drive?

If so, count me in!

That would give me time to obtain a points card and get a helmet too!
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

You can sign up to drive on Saturday if you want. Just keep an eye out for when registration is open for october. Aside from that, same thing as above.
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Hi Niki,

You don't need a points card and a helmet to get started with us. As George said, you really do need to just get out. We have loaner helmets you can borrow while you run, and a points card won't get you anything at this point in the season (you can get one, but it's not a necessity to run....many folks that run with us just for fun do not have one). You definitely don't have to wait for those before you come out. As QV said, signing up for the October practice (Saturday) and event day (Sunday) would be a great place to start. If you want to sign up for the practice day, sign up early....it will fill up.

On Sundays, we have a dedicated lane in the starting grid for those looking for instruction (and kinda/sorta mandatory for newbies just so you learn the ropes and we keep everybody safe on your first few laps). We also have guided novice course walks....you'll have our resident novice coordinator Leonard Cachola guiding you through the course (I'm not novice and I still follow Leonard around on some of his walks....very helpful information for all skill levels).

Saturday practice days are another good way to start, but we don't have dedicated instructors there. That being said, there's always plenty of instruction available. Just let them know at the registration desk or in tech and somebody will point you to one of our resident experts who'll be more than happy to help you get your feet wet. We're a very friendly bunch. One advantage of Saturday practice is the opportunity to ride along with others. Just show up in grid with your helmet and be friendly. Most of the folks out there are happy to take a passenger for a lap.

The Ladies School will be an excellent resource for you as well. I wouldn't wait for it before coming out. It might be better for you if you've had a few laps before the school. You'll be able to get more out of the instruction if you're already familiar with the absolute basics.

There's also some excellent resources on the "Newcomers" tab on the solo2.com web site.

Either way, come on out and don't be shy....plenty of friendly folks in our group. We'll get you going.
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:You can sign up to drive on Saturday if you want. Just keep an eye out for when registration is open for october. Aside from that, same thing as above.

Thanks! I am definitely planning on being out for the October weekend, hopefully both days if work permits.
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

Randy! thank you for all the useful information. I plan on getting the points card soon to register my number :) and to be supportive of the club!

I am absolutely planning to be out in October for at least Sunday, if not both days. I will definitely be in the newbie lane, happily. You are right! I should get out and drive before the Ladies School day, this way I can have some questions in mind and now what I am doing somewhat.

I have been reading over the forum and looking up all the info I can. You guys have done a wonderful job keeping the site organized and informative.

I hope everyone is having a blast at El Toro today

Cheers!
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Sometimes we start selling next years points cards in October and give Oct-Dec for free. We just changed Membership chair. Has there been any talk on the board about doing this again for 2017 points cards?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:Sometimes we start selling next years points cards in October and give Oct-Dec for free. We just changed Membership chair. Has there been any talk on the board about doing this again for 2017 points cards?
Nothing to do with who the Membership Chair is, it's standard procedure unless the Board decides to change it. New points cards issued after October 1 are good until December of the following year.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

I had planned on getting mine right after the first (I had read that policy). It will also make me feel more prepared, lol

I got the days off for Autocross Sunday and the Ladies School next month! And hoping to make it out to watch & help Saturdays practice.

I am really excited to get out there.

Still thinking of my car number since I am new I can not register my roller derby number 138.
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

I have purchased my points card and signed up for Octobers Autocross!

Thanks for all the help and advice

see everyone out there
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

I purchased my points card on October 3rd. I selected number 710 during checkout (it was showing available on the points card listing) Immediately after purchasing my points card I attempted to register for a few events on Motorsportsreg.com however it said 710 was reserved for somebody else. It does look like my second choice number 408 is available, so I have registered for events using 408.

Can I change my points card number to 408 too please? I tried emailing (membership@solo2.com) the night I purchased it but have not heard back. I would like to register for a few more events & order numbers for my car so I would like to get this situated.

any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

niki smith wrote:I purchased my points card on October 3rd. I selected number 710 during checkout (it was showing available on the points card listing) Immediately after purchasing my points card I attempted to register for a few events on Motorsportsreg.com however it said 710 was reserved for somebody else. It does look like my second choice number 408 is available, so I have registered for events using 408.

Can I change my points card number to 408 too please? I tried emailing (membership@solo2.com) the night I purchased it but have not heard back. I would like to register for a few more events & order numbers for my car so I would like to get this situated.

any help is appreciated!

Thanks
Hi Niki,
According to the points card listing on solo2.com, 710 is available, that's where it matters. The number on MSR was still assigned to someone, but not used in over a year, so is actually available. Permanent numbers on MSR hasn't been kept updated as well as the points card listing on solo2.com, the two aren't tied together, it's a manual thing that has to be done. The membership chairman job is in transition right now, plus we are in the renewal period, so that's probably why you haven't heard back. When the membership person processes all the new and renewing points cards, you should get 710 since it was your first choice. So, if you still want 710, I can fix MSR for you right now. Only one person processes the points cards, but several of us can edit things on MSR. Let me know.
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

Thank you I will go with 710! If you can update that on MSR I would be grateful.

I appreciate the help! I will email the membership chairman to keep me as 710

Have a great weekend!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

niki smith wrote:Thank you I will go with 710! If you can update that on MSR I would be grateful.

I appreciate the help! I will email the membership chairman to keep me as 710

Have a great weekend!
Done.
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:Since you've never attended an autox, it may also be helpful to come out Saturday for some ride alongs and/or course walks.
Looking forward to this weekend! What is a good time to show up on Saturday to help, for some ride alongs & course walks?

I
George Schilling
Club Representative

We start running at 8:30 on Saturday Niki. Sunday it's 9 am. You can go for rides either day, although you'll probably have better luck on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you.
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
niki smith

Post by niki smith »

George Schilling wrote:We start running at 8:30 on Saturday Niki. Sunday it's 9 am. You can go for rides either day, although you'll probably have better luck on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you.
Thank you George! I'll be there Saturday to ride along & I signed up to drive Sunday!
George Schilling
Club Representative

niki smith wrote:
George Schilling wrote:We start running at 8:30 on Saturday Niki. Sunday it's 9 am. You can go for rides either day, although you'll probably have better luck on Saturday. Looking forward to seeing you.
Thank you George! I'll be there Saturday to ride along & I signed up to drive Sunday!

Great. Looking forward to seeing you, Stop by and say hi. I'm in the Dial ONE Plumbing van.

For Sunday, best to get there early if you're driving in the morning, no later than 7. If driving in the afternoon, no later that 10:30.
George Schilling
Club Representative

niki smith wrote:

Great. Looking forward to meeting you. Stop by and say hi. I'm in the Dial ONE Plumbing van.

For Sunday, best to get there early if you're driving in the morning, no later than 7. If driving in the afternoon, no later that 10:30.