September Fastrack

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Vincent Wong
Club: PSCC
Car#: 107

September Fastrack

Post by Vincent Wong »

Solo section, http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... t-solo.pdf.

My letter was not recommended. Oh really??? So putting an E9x M3 (faster than the 3 Audi models I proposed) in FS with a softer index is the right move? }:)
Robert Puertas
Car#: 44

Re: September Fastrack

Post by Robert Puertas »

I suspect they learned their lesson from Trans Am - AWD cars can totally screw up a class...
;-)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

I guess the MAC doesn't like Kiesel's diffuser...
Vincent Wong

Post by Vincent Wong »

Robert Puertas wrote:I suspect they learned their lesson from Trans Am - AWD cars can totally screw up a class...
;-)
But the thing is that currently, the B6/7 (2004-2009) S4's are in FS, and they have similar horsepower number compared to mine. }:)
Davin Swanson
Car#: 979

Post by Davin Swanson »

Toyo 195 users can breathe easy... squeaky wheel gets the grease!
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Marshall Grice wrote:I guess the MAC doesn't like Kiesel's diffuser...
You mean to tell me that a 50's bugeye sprite didn't have a batwing growing from underneath?
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

Sebastian Rios wrote:
Marshall Grice wrote:I guess the MAC doesn't like Kiesel's diffuser...
You mean to tell me that a 50's bugeye sprite didn't have a batwing growing from underneath?
is that supposed to be some sort of "waiting..." reference? :lol:

and the rules allow diffusers to be added, just apparently not good ones.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Vincent Wong wrote:Solo section, http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... t-solo.pdf.

My letter was not recommended. Oh really??? So putting an E9x M3 (faster than the 3 Audi models I proposed) in FS with a softer index is the right move? }:)
No, that means that somebody on the board (or one of their good buddies) owns an E9x M3. Look who shows up driving one next year.
As usual, it's not about what's good for the class, it's about what's good for ME.
Matt Ales
Car#: 87

Post by Matt Ales »

Steve Lepper wrote:
Vincent Wong wrote:Solo section, http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/ass ... t-solo.pdf.

No, that means that somebody on the board (or one of their good buddies) owns an E9x M3. Look who shows up driving one next year.
As usual, it's not about what's good for the class, it's about what's good for ME.
^^^^That sure does sound correct now doesn't it. ^^^^ I agree with you Vincent, I don't see how they could move the E46 and E92 M3's and not move the Audi. They seem to fit perfectly into the theme of that class (high horsepower Germans) minus the all wheel drive. With that said, you won't hear much complaining from me. Yay, free time!
#87 - 2006 BMW M3
Bill Schenker
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Steve Lepper wrote:

I can't speak for the other ACs ('though I imagine they operate just like ours) but the SPAC in no way operates like this. You should see and hear the gnashing of teeth as we try to make things fair and equitable. On the contrary, we constantly get letters from people asking for "ISP" = I/Me Street Prepared.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
John Stimson
Car#: 124

Post by John Stimson »

Steve Lepper wrote:No, that means that somebody on the board (or one of their good buddies) owns an E9x M3. Look who shows up driving one next year.
I'm sorry you think like that.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

So I guess Vincent is then asking for a logical explanation to their decision ...
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$

Post by KJ Christopher »

Steve Lepper wrote:No, that means that somebody on the board (or one of their good buddies) owns an E9x M3. Look who shows up driving one next year.
Have you ever spent time on one of the advisory committees? It would be extremely difficult to develop that level of collusion.
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Matt Ales
Car#: 87

Post by Matt Ales »

Have they ever changed a car's class sort of experimentally then changed it back the next year? There were no stock M3's at nationals last year so it seems hard to know how they or the S4's would compare at that level in BStock. I guess if M3 guys go out and dominate RTR they could change them back to a higher indexed class right?
#87 - 2006 BMW M3
John Stimson

Post by John Stimson »

I personally think that they're underestimating the E46 M3, but it sounds like people have been impressed with the performance of the newest Mustang and don't think any of the cars being moved will dominate. I think the E90 is probably not as quick as the E46 due to the added weight & size. I haven't formed an opinion about the new S4 because I don't know anything about them. What the SAC typically looks at, in absence of solid event results, is power & torque numbers and curves, wheel size (especially width), driven wheels, achievable wheel camber, availability and type of limited slip differential, defeatable or always-on stability control, and gearing. If you can make a case based on comparing all those specs to cars that are already in or being proposed to move to FS, the SEB ought to at least add it to the existing proposal.

Vince, did you send your letter before the proposed move of all the AS/BS cars into FS, or was it in response to that proposal? I'd suggest sending another letter, making the case that the new S4 is comparable to the other cars being moved, and asking that it be added to the proposed list, if that's not what your original letter was about.
Steve Lepper

Post by Steve Lepper »

John Stimson wrote:
I'm sorry you think like that.
Nothing personal John, but there are far too many instances of where a rule set gets implemented or a car gets moved, and lo and behold it turns out one of the people directly involved in the decision magically shows up with the car in question. I won't name names here, but there is plenty of evidence here to support my opinion and most of us here know who they are.
Steve Lepper

Post by Steve Lepper »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Have you ever spent time on one of the advisory committees? It would be extremely difficult to develop that level of collusion.

KJ, I would love to, but I guarantee they wont have me.
Vincent Wong

Post by Vincent Wong »

John Stimson wrote:I personally think that they're underestimating the E46 M3, but it sounds like people have been impressed with the performance of the newest Mustang and don't think any of the cars being moved will dominate. I think the E90 is probably not as quick as the E46 due to the added weight & size. I haven't formed an opinion about the new S4 because I don't know anything about them. What the SAC typically looks at, in absence of solid event results, is power & torque numbers and curves, wheel size (especially width), driven wheels, achievable wheel camber, availability and type of limited slip differential, defeatable or always-on stability control, and gearing. If you can make a case based on comparing all those specs to cars that are already in or being proposed to move to FS, the SEB ought to at least add it to the existing proposal.

Vince, did you send your letter before the proposed move of all the AS/BS cars into FS, or was it in response to that proposal? I'd suggest sending another letter, making the case that the new S4 is comparable to the other cars being moved, and asking that it be added to the proposed list, if that's not what your original letter was about.
I sent my letter AFTER the proposed move. I basically suggested that they should also consider moving those Audi's IF the other German muscle cars get moved to FS. I also created this table (http://vwong.net/images/temp/SCCA%20Proposal.pdf) for comparison.

edit: BTW, I did send that table along with the letter to SEB. I guess it didn't have enough info?
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Matt Ales wrote:Have they ever changed a car's class sort of experimentally then changed it back the next year? There were no stock M3's at nationals last year so it seems hard to know how they or the S4's would compare at that level in BStock. I guess if M3 guys go out and dominate RTR they could change them back to a higher indexed class right?
While recent results may be lacking, a number of top drivers had developed and run the E46 M3 in AS years ago, there is a pretty good idea of its performance capabilities. In the case of the Audi there is really no solid data on its (solo) performance potential.
John Stimson

Post by John Stimson »

Steve Lepper wrote:Nothing personal John
Steve, what you've got to realize is that the people on the SEB and the SAC are regular people who participate in autocross and these forums. When you make a comment like that, it is absolutely personal.
I won't name names here, but there is plenty of evidence here to support my opinion and most of us here know who they are.
Nicely vague, so that it impugns the maximum number of people without any way to refute it directly.
Steve Lepper

Post by Steve Lepper »

No John, this doesn't mean I have a problem with anybody involved as a person, and I'm not painting every person who has ever served with the same brush. However, there are several cases where personal interest got in the way of clear decision making. If you want to know specific instances, I'll be happy to share details in a private message.