May FasTrack

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Doug Teulie
Club: PSCC
Car#: 99

Re: May FasTrack

Post by Doug Teulie »

I am not sure I made my point on what I call OEM+1/-1.

Take the Miata on the OEM 4X100 14x5.5's and allow it to run on the 4X100 15" Miata wheel that came on the newer version Miata. Think of it as Up date back date of stock wheels. You can tell an OEM wheel from across the parking lot so you don't have to look to at the ET on every wheel on every car to see if they are running per street class rules.
Last edited by Doug Teulie on Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Sebastian Rios wrote:
Jonathan Lugod wrote: We should try to limit any more allowances than are needed. If you want to have a car that is more fun to drive and on street tires move onto street touring.
These are my sentiments as well. Only problem is that not every car is allowed in the Street Touring category.
+1 or I would be there.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Sebastian Rios wrote:
Jonathan Lugod wrote: We should try to limit any more allowances than are needed. If you want to have a car that is more fun to drive and on street tires move onto street touring.
These are my sentiments as well. Only problem is that Street Touring cars are not street legal.
Fixed to reflect reality. }:)
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Steve Lepper wrote:
Sebastian Rios wrote:
These are my sentiments as well. Only problem is that Street Touring cars are not street legal.
Fixed to reflect reality. }:)
since when do race cars have to be street legal?
James Yom
Current Solo Director
Car#: 28

Post by James Yom »

Really happy to see Street class coming. Been waiting years for this. Only reason I ran STR is for the street tires. Now that Street is coming, I'm jumping back "stock" class. I like competition when everything is equal and more based on driver skill than setup. But I hated running on Hoosiers.

Camber: SLA cars getting new arms is too extreme, as is offset bushings. give the SLA cars offset camber joints and that would also help SLA cars get more tire life. Easy add on part. Also please limit it to 1 axle. If the SLA cars can't change camber at all, then neither should the strut cars. All or nothing.

+1-1 diameter: good rule. Example: AP1 S2000s have a 16x7.5 inch wheel in the back and FD RX7 has 16x8. Only competitive size is. 225r16, because there is no focus to make fast tires in 16 inch wheel. It kills those cars in terms of being competitive, because they need at least a 245 to be fast. I know because I ran sk 1 for a few years in my AP1, and it sucked compared to the AP2, which had options for 245, 255, AND 265 rears.
Doug Teulie
Car#: 99

Post by Doug Teulie »

James Yom wrote: +1-1 diameter: good rule. Example: AP1 S2000s have a 16x7.5 inch wheel in the back and FD RX7 has 16x8. Only competitive size is. 225r16, because there is no focus to make fast tires in 16 inch wheel. It kills those cars in terms of being competitive, because they need at least a 245 to be fast. I know because I ran sk 1 for a few years in my AP1, and it sucked compared to the AP2, which had options for 245, 255, AND 265 rears.
Agree with the 16" tire issue. 15s and 17s are the wheels to have. 18s may be OK too but I don't know.
Doug T
PSCC CSCC #99 /SCNAX SD #151 LT Points 23,600.
TEAM DHE/FAST 1976 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 SILVER SCIROCCO
TEAM DHE/FAST 1980 KARMANN 8V FSP MK1 RED SCIROCCO
Need VW parts?--->http://www.parts4vws.com Need Wax?--> Mother's
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Post by Tom Denham »

James Yom wrote:Really happy to see Street class coming. Been waiting years for this. Only reason I ran STR is for the street tires. Now that Street is coming, I'm jumping back "stock" class. I like competition when everything is equal and more based on driver skill than setup. But I hated running on Hoosiers.

Camber: SLA cars getting new arms is too extreme, as is offset bushings. give the SLA cars offset camber joints and that would also help SLA cars get more tire life. Easy add on part. Also please limit it to 1 axle. If the SLA cars can't change camber at all, then neither should the strut cars. All or nothing.

+1-1 diameter: good rule. Example: AP1 S2000s have a 16x7.5 inch wheel in the back and FD RX7 has 16x8. Only competitive size is. 225r16, because there is no focus to make fast tires in 16 inch wheel. It kills those cars in terms of being competitive, because they need at least a 245 to be fast. I know because I ran sk 1 for a few years in my AP1, and it sucked compared to the AP2, which had options for 245, 255, AND 265 rears.
HMMM i have the same dilemma, the new wrx runs, 17x8.s which has choice of tire sizes, My wrx runs a 16x6.5, but a 17x6.5 would suck even more. I would not even consider a 15.
Steve Lepper
Club: TCC
Car#: 355

Post by Steve Lepper »

Marshall Grice wrote:since when do race cars have to be street legal?
If it has "Street" in the title, it should be able to be.

There is currently no place in the national class structure for true street-legal, dual-purpose cars with the exception of RT.

And they wonder why participation is down?