Alternate Sites?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

V_Miyagi
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 204

Alternate Sites?

Post by V_Miyagi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:39 am

I'm seeing the local Porsche Club advertising events at Santa Anita Park and Long Beach Berth 46.
Can anyone share their experience running at these sites compared to Lot 6?
~Brian

Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Re: Alternate Sites?

Post by Reed Gibson » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:57 am

Santa Anita is pot hole city and their management hasn't been receptive to having us back. Berth 46 is very small and has a decent amount of bumps and ditches to cross.

We've looked at holding some alternate style small events at the Port but nothing's materialized.

V_Miyagi

Post by V_Miyagi » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:28 pm

Great info - thanks.
~Brian

Brian Tilley

Post by Brian Tilley » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm

I'm of the opinion that we really ought to start considering sites we wouldn't have 5+ years ago. If we lose fontana are we just going to stop racing? I get that pot holes suck and make track design difficult but that may be a reality we just have to deal with or otherwise end up like other regions where racing is completely dead. I think anything and everything should be considered as "exploratory" events. Possibly we hold some non point events to see what venues offer what value. Obviously we can't compromise on safety but I'd rather race around a small parking lot in first gear peaking at 35 mph over no racing at all.

Just my 1.8 cents

Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 am

Brian Tilley wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm
I'm of the opinion that we really ought to start considering sites we wouldn't have 5+ years ago. If we lose fontana are we just going to stop racing? I get that pot holes suck and make track design difficult but that may be a reality we just have to deal with or otherwise end up like other regions where racing is completely dead. I think anything and everything should be considered as "exploratory" events. Possibly we hold some non point events to see what venues offer what value. Obviously we can't compromise on safety but I'd rather race around a small parking lot in first gear peaking at 35 mph over no racing at all.

Just my 1.8 cents
We've actively looked at other sites and during COVID they are very hesitant to try something new. We have run at Santa Anita before and I would not hold your breath about returning there as the management was very hard to work with. PCA has found a way back in, that's great for them but the secret hasn't trickled down to us. We've explored doing an event at Irwindale Speedway but were again met with lack of management initiative when we tried to get a contract in place. The Port of LA had similar issues when it came to nailing down a date to set up an event. We had a lead on a site in San Bernardino but the surface quality was abysmal. We've poked at a site in Ventura who isn't interested. I can go on an on but what I'm getting at is, we are looking and this stuff takes a lot of time and energy to make happen.

If you have suggestions AND contact info we are more than happy to reach out to the site management to see if we can do an event.

V_Miyagi

Post by V_Miyagi » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 am

Reed Gibson wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 am

If you have suggestions AND contact info we are more than happy to reach out to the site management to see if we can do an event.
Reed, BrianT - Thanks. Good points across the board.
I think we're all well aware how busy the board is on keeping the regular events going.
It sounds like there's an opportunity for some 'irregulars' to step in and support those efforts.
I would be wary of overstepping. However, with some guidance, I'd be happy to lend some time to track down leads/ sites.

If this would help, please advise. Knowing which sites we're interested in, or which we've assessed/ dismissed (and why) would help. Similarly, what are the general site requirements?
Finally, can anyone offer insight into the relationship between SCCA / PCA? Is this an area where the clubs can support each other? or are they competing for access?
~Brian

Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:25 pm

V_Miyagi wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 am
If this would help, please advise. Knowing which sites we're interested in, or which we've assessed/ dismissed (and why) would help. Similarly, what are the general site requirements?
Finally, can anyone offer insight into the relationship between SCCA / PCA? Is this an area where the clubs can support each other? or are they competing for access?
We do have a list and a "lead" of sorts on this but progress is always hampered by the National season which is currently on-going. If you are seriously interested in getting involved you can always shoot me an email at reed@solo2.com and we can talk about getting you involved. The reality is we need people who can make calls and go out and visit these sites in the middle of the days, often on weekdays, when the management is free. It's not "hard" but for those of us with day jobs it's difficult to actually stay on top of.

As for your question about PCA, we are friendly with many of their members but we are competitors in a sense. Sometimes they share their information, sometimes they don't but there aren't any hard feelings. At the end of the day there are only so many weekends in a year and those with the strongest relationships are going to get priority with booking.