Alternate Sites?

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

V_Miyagi
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 204

Alternate Sites?

Post by V_Miyagi »

I'm seeing the local Porsche Club advertising events at Santa Anita Park and Long Beach Berth 46.
Can anyone share their experience running at these sites compared to Lot 6?
~Brian
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Re: Alternate Sites?

Post by Reed Gibson »

Santa Anita is pot hole city and their management hasn't been receptive to having us back. Berth 46 is very small and has a decent amount of bumps and ditches to cross.

We've looked at holding some alternate style small events at the Port but nothing's materialized.
V_Miyagi

Post by V_Miyagi »

Great info - thanks.
~Brian
Brian Tilley

Post by Brian Tilley »

I'm of the opinion that we really ought to start considering sites we wouldn't have 5+ years ago. If we lose fontana are we just going to stop racing? I get that pot holes suck and make track design difficult but that may be a reality we just have to deal with or otherwise end up like other regions where racing is completely dead. I think anything and everything should be considered as "exploratory" events. Possibly we hold some non point events to see what venues offer what value. Obviously we can't compromise on safety but I'd rather race around a small parking lot in first gear peaking at 35 mph over no racing at all.

Just my 1.8 cents
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Brian Tilley wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm I'm of the opinion that we really ought to start considering sites we wouldn't have 5+ years ago. If we lose fontana are we just going to stop racing? I get that pot holes suck and make track design difficult but that may be a reality we just have to deal with or otherwise end up like other regions where racing is completely dead. I think anything and everything should be considered as "exploratory" events. Possibly we hold some non point events to see what venues offer what value. Obviously we can't compromise on safety but I'd rather race around a small parking lot in first gear peaking at 35 mph over no racing at all.

Just my 1.8 cents
We've actively looked at other sites and during COVID they are very hesitant to try something new. We have run at Santa Anita before and I would not hold your breath about returning there as the management was very hard to work with. PCA has found a way back in, that's great for them but the secret hasn't trickled down to us. We've explored doing an event at Irwindale Speedway but were again met with lack of management initiative when we tried to get a contract in place. The Port of LA had similar issues when it came to nailing down a date to set up an event. We had a lead on a site in San Bernardino but the surface quality was abysmal. We've poked at a site in Ventura who isn't interested. I can go on an on but what I'm getting at is, we are looking and this stuff takes a lot of time and energy to make happen.

If you have suggestions AND contact info we are more than happy to reach out to the site management to see if we can do an event.
V_Miyagi

Post by V_Miyagi »

Reed Gibson wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:55 am
If you have suggestions AND contact info we are more than happy to reach out to the site management to see if we can do an event.
Reed, BrianT - Thanks. Good points across the board.
I think we're all well aware how busy the board is on keeping the regular events going.
It sounds like there's an opportunity for some 'irregulars' to step in and support those efforts.
I would be wary of overstepping. However, with some guidance, I'd be happy to lend some time to track down leads/ sites.

If this would help, please advise. Knowing which sites we're interested in, or which we've assessed/ dismissed (and why) would help. Similarly, what are the general site requirements?
Finally, can anyone offer insight into the relationship between SCCA / PCA? Is this an area where the clubs can support each other? or are they competing for access?
~Brian
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

V_Miyagi wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:08 am If this would help, please advise. Knowing which sites we're interested in, or which we've assessed/ dismissed (and why) would help. Similarly, what are the general site requirements?
Finally, can anyone offer insight into the relationship between SCCA / PCA? Is this an area where the clubs can support each other? or are they competing for access?
We do have a list and a "lead" of sorts on this but progress is always hampered by the National season which is currently on-going. If you are seriously interested in getting involved you can always shoot me an email at reed@solo2.com and we can talk about getting you involved. The reality is we need people who can make calls and go out and visit these sites in the middle of the days, often on weekdays, when the management is free. It's not "hard" but for those of us with day jobs it's difficult to actually stay on top of.

As for your question about PCA, we are friendly with many of their members but we are competitors in a sense. Sometimes they share their information, sometimes they don't but there aren't any hard feelings. At the end of the day there are only so many weekends in a year and those with the strongest relationships are going to get priority with booking.
Tom Layton

Post by Tom Layton »

I'm still new-ish here so I'm probably asking questions that have been answered multiple times, but I'm just curious, what's stopping us from running at Angels stadium? Seemed roomy enough and BMW ran their event there.

Also has the club looked into Dodger stadium or Pomona fairgrounds? Looks like each has a sizeable lot of asphalt.
V_Miyagi

Post by V_Miyagi »

Hi Tom. Great questions.
I've been doing some work on some of the sites you mentioned (and others) and we're making some progress on the evaluations / fact-finding.
I'd be happy to bring you (or anyone else) up to speed offline, but I'll leave any public discussion to the Board's discretion.

In the meantime, our lot at Auto Club Speedway has the distinction of being one of the largest viable spaces in LA/ OC/ Ventura counties, and allows for great (long/ varied) courses.
~Brian
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Tom Layton wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:43 pm I'm still new-ish here so I'm probably asking questions that have been answered multiple times, but I'm just curious, what's stopping us from running at Angels stadium? Seemed roomy enough and BMW ran their event there.

Also has the club looked into Dodger stadium or Pomona fairgrounds? Looks like each has a sizeable lot of asphalt.
Angels Stadium recently went through a change in management but we are reaching out to try and find out if they are interested in hosting events again. In the past we avoided them as the lot was notoriously slippery (a few cars have binned it into barriers there) and was cost prohibitive. However, with our days possibly being numbered at ACS everything is open for discussion.

I've been told by a few members that the surface quality at the Pomona Fairgrounds is not viable for our use. I'm not sure if there's a lot there that one of us hasn't seen that's viable but we'd need to get out there and tour them to find out. That's something we could use some volunteers to head up hopefully soon as we are exiting the pandemic.

Dodger stadium is also being explored, Brian did an awesome job tracking down a contact there for us but unfortunately we are low on their priority list to have discussions with. We'll politely remind them that we'd like to talk to them so fingers crossed there.

If you'd like to get involved in reaching out to some of these potential new sites shoot me an email at reed@solo2.com!
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

I see San Diego is going to give the stadium at Lake Elsinore a shot. Do we know anything about that site?
Tom Kamman

Post by Tom Kamman »

It is small and hot.
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Bill Martin wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 5:37 pm I see San Diego is going to give the stadium at Lake Elsinore a shot. Do we know anything about that site?
It's a very small location that gets real hot in the summer time. We certainly have the option of running there but with it's small size I'm not certain if it's worth it over running events at ACS while we still can. That said, if we have no over options we probably will set something up.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

I'll be running there for their next 2 events. I checked it out when it was first built, it did seem small, but grid and pits are across the street in the stadium lot. I think we would have to enforce sound limitations, there is housing right next to the lot now.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...