Jun 29th Alpine AutoX (Big Bear, Charity)

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Jun 29th Alpine AutoX (Big Bear, Charity)

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

Alpine AutoX Jun 29th (Big Bear, Charity)

(hey mods, can I get this stickied)

On Sunday Jun 29th JayCom Services and the CalClub Solo2 group are teaming up for a return Alpine AutoX at the Big Bear City Airport.

This will be our annual charity AutoX practice and we’ll be donating proceeds to Ability First of Long Beach, who provides recreational programs for the mentally delayed. We've annually held events for them in Fontana, but this year that venue didn't work out.

Once again there will be NO WORK assignments for this event. Thank your friendly CSU-Fullerton FSAE student! Volenteers are always welcome.

The event will have a causal practice type attitude to it. But, to keep things interesting we are adding a small competition element for a couple hours. Base classes are Street, Prep and Race, but we'll break out more classes as cars can be grouped together (i.e. CST, or even 'Miatas' class).

Here's the link to registration and lots of details
https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/bi ... -ii-591847

Single Entry pre-reg just $60. Share and entry with a second driver is +$25. Day of reg is +$15. Non-SCCA members can purchase a weekend membership onsite ($15).

Expect a 50+second course and 16+ runs. 60 driver entry limit.

This is an SCCA event. Non Snell 2000 or better helmets required (limited loaners available). There will be a tech inspection, make sure your car is safe before coming!

It's quite cool and beautiful up there:

The Ability First "Racing Crew" at a past charity event (with ride along champ Mike Nakata):
Last edited by Jayson Woodruff on Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jayson Woodruff

Re: Jun 29th Alpine AutoX (Big Bear, Charity)

As of now its unlikely the Ability First clients will actually be at the Jun 29 event. But I think they're working on coming out to the July 5th El Toro practice for meet/greet and ride alongs.

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

Jayson Woodruff wrote:(hey mods, can I get this stickied)
Okay, you've all had your fun at El Toro. Time to get it done in Big Bear!

Just a few registrations so far. I don't really expect to sell out (50), but appreciate early registrations so I can start head counting.

Did I mention NO WORK and FOR CHARITY.

Also there's those awsome extra long AutoX laps up and down the mountain.

Jay W
Craig Naylor
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:Also there's those awsome (sic) free bonus extra long A̶u̶t̶o̶X̶ Solo 1 laps up and down the mountain.

Jay W
Fixed that for you
Jayson Woodruff

Reg on up. Still light on numbers, but do-able. I'm bringing the RallyMiata (on road tires and lowered a bit).

I just got off the phone with the Airport manager, since this is a charity event they've cut the lot fee in half. So more $$ for the charity!

No Work, All play, there isn't a better deal in AutoX.

Jay W
Robert Stangarone
Car#: 186

Post by Robert Stangarone »

If my car is fixed by then, I'm in.
RS-R USA | Winmax | Delicious Tuning | CounterSpaceGarage | Raceseng | Cusco L.S.D.
Jayson Woodruff

One week to the Big Bear AutoX event. Entries are fairly low, but right now we're just about the break even point. I'm hoping to get a little rush of entries so we can build up a little cash of the AbilityFirst charity.

'No Work' events are very rare, don't let this one pass you by. Plus, expecting an increadable amount of seat time.

Then there's that weather. Sunday shows 95 in fontana, 84 at El Toro and just 75 in Big Bear (low of 39 tonight!, bring a jacket).

Jay W
Robert Stangarone
Car#: 186

Post by Robert Stangarone »

I'm in. See you all there. :)
RS-R USA | Winmax | Delicious Tuning | CounterSpaceGarage | Raceseng | Cusco L.S.D.
LES HEIL

Post by LES HEIL »

cant wait here, bringing wife and kid. love doing things for charity, see you all there!
Adam Tarnoff
Club: CASOC
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Spreading the word where I can; this event looks like it'll be great.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Jayson Woodruff

Adam Tarnoff wrote:Spreading the word where I can; this event looks like it'll be great.
Thanks Adam. Last one was pretty awesome, this should be just as good.

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

For the little side competition, here's the classes I've made up based on entries. Don't complain, I didn't make a whiner class.

1. Street A/B (S2000s + STi)
2. Street C/E (Miatas + FRZs)
3. Street D/F/G (BMW, VW, Hyundi)
4. STS
5. Prep A (Porchse, Corvette, STR cars, Z, Race class cars)
6. Prep B (Camaro, Yaris, Subarus, RallyMiata)

And yes, I've got some trophies;-) Few medals too!

Get more signed up!

Jay W
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Anybody have a place to stay with an extra bed.... &/or interested in getting a place to stay, & sharing costs on Sat night.

I have an in with the company that used to handle our Big Bear rentals, should be able to get a deceit deal.
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote:Anybody have a place to stay with an extra bed.... &/or interested in getting a place to stay, & sharing costs on Sat night.

I have an in with the company that used to handle our Big Bear rentals, should be able to get a deceit deal.
I can promise a couch, maybe a bed.

Jay W
Jayson Woodruff

BTW, last call to pre-reg. ends tonight.
There still plenty of room for walk ups, but a slight up charge.

Just finished setting up the course, should be a blast. Felt really, really long, but is rather average time and about .8miles.

Jay W
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:I can promise a couch, maybe a bed.

Jay W
Awesome, I'll take you up on it, and I'll sign up.

edit: Ok I signed up, it shows in "My events", got an email conformation, but I did not get added to the attendee list. I'm confused.
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:I can promise a couch, maybe a bed.

Jay W
Awesome, I'll take you up on it, and I'll sign up.

edit: Ok I signed up, it shows in "My events", got an email conformation, but I did not get added to the attendee list. I'm confused.

There's always as delay in MotorSportsReg. Your in there now.

Jay W
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:There's always as delay in MotorSportsReg. Your in there now. Jay W
I've always registered, and immediately checked to make sure I'm on the attendees list. Maybe it's different with a paid event? But SCCA Nat events have been good too.... guess I've just been lucky in the past.
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Club: No$
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Craig Naylor wrote:
Jayson Woodruff wrote:There's always as delay in MotorSportsReg. Your in there now. Jay W
I've always registered, and immediately checked to make sure I'm on the attendees list. Maybe it's different with a paid event? But SCCA Nat events have been good too.... guess I've just been lucky in the past.
The system updates every ten or fifteen minutes. (Forget which it is.)
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Craig Naylor wrote:
we've been here before....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7746&p=98803#p98803
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Craig Naylor wrote:
we've been here before....

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7746&p=98803#p98803
Deja vu all over again! :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Jayson Woodruff

If coming up the 38, leave an extra 30min for construction.

Jay W
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Jayson Woodruff wrote:If coming up the 38, leave an extra 30min for construction.

Jay W

Or a helicopter rescue! :cry:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Craig Naylor

Post by Craig Naylor »

AWESOME EVENT!!!!

Thank you Jayson, Mike, Nic, Warren, Seb, & all of the Cal State Fullerton FSAE guys who spent so many hours in the sun. While I only took a total of 10 runs, could have probably squeezed another 3-4 runs in if I wanted too. A few of us went to the Airport cafe for lunch... good food, not cheap, very slow..... could have gotten even another 2 runs in if we fast food / brown bagged it.
All in all,
Excellent course: A double cross over, with two trips around the course per lap before crossing the finish. Run times ran between 66 & 80 sec depending on driver ability & cars. My best was a 67.5 in Pete's car (someone claimed I had a cone... but there was no radio call on it) and a 68.9 in my own.

No work: Cal State Fullerton FSAE shagged cones all day with Warren & Nic chipping in, Mike and Jayson as starter / timing duty respectfully all day.

Beautiful & spirited drive up and down the mountain: on the way up EVERY car I caught took the 1st turn out available till I caught an idiot at the dam who never pulled over and cruised all the way into town at 10-20 under the posted.... Down wasn't perfect, but better than average for the 18/330.

Nap in once home all before 6pm. Will definitely have to consider again next year.

Only regret, left the go-pro at home, so I couldn't take footage AX'ing with the lovely background.
Jayson Woodruff

Craig Naylor wrote: My best was a 67.5 in Pete's car (someone claimed I had a cone... but there was no radio call on it)
That would be me, and Nic and Seb and a few others standing around.:-). Wasn't 'called' because we were back in practice mode at that point.

It was the last gate toward the finish to the outside.

Great times today, I need a little time to gather wits and do some accounting then I'll come up with a bigger summary. Best the Corvettes could do on Saturday was almost bested today on the first car out.

Jay W