Xtream Street (XS) Looks like....

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

Xtream Street (XS) Looks like....

Post by David Barrish »

The SCCA has a new sand box. Looks like the players have to bring cars that "Must be licensed and Insured". Oh, and "legal to drive on the roads".

That means what in our reigon?
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: Xtream Street (XS) Looks like....

Post by Anthony P. »

Xtreme_Street_(XS)_Rules_-_2020.pdf
(174.18 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Rules attached.

It doesnt say which roads... lol. Also I haven't seen a protest locally in the decade or so I have been auto crossing.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

The whole approach seems bogus. Given not only state requirements but federal requirements can you actually build such a car without winking at the rules?

Why introduce a rule set that can't legitimately be complied with?
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Anthony,

"protest" That would be a very inflammatory term, in the land of "wink-n nod" that is self policing of an auto crossing class , on a local basis.

No, I agree with Bill, this is a set of rules that can't be complied with.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

David Barrish wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:47 am The SCCA has a new sand box. Looks like the players have to bring cars that "Must be licensed and Insured". Oh, and "legal to drive on the roads".

That means what in our reigon?
Ok, I pasted the rules on my first post.

The whole quote is "Must be an automobile or truck (e.g., pickup, SUV) manufactured for road use and legal to drive on US roads"

This is the first set of rules, this is a non national non contingency eligible class.

Your welcome to post here in addition to writing your suggestions to www.soloeventsboard.com

Personally I read it as, legal on a road in the US. In which case, South Dakota has no emissions checks, although many modifications could be illegal federally. However if it's so old it doesnt have a catalyst, then it would be legal federally to drive without one. Since motor swaps are legal I would think the intent is to allow lots of mods that arent emissions legal but they do want turn signals...

Another common thread brought up is do we really want to weigh cars at local events?
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

So, we have a new class for cars 1975 and older, legal in California.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Basically, it's our CST. We've had this for years, if not decades.

It's actually a bit more restrictive than what we have though.
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

David Barrish wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:26 pm So, we have a new class for cars 1975 and older, legal in California.
We as in Calclub? Not until it's in the supps as it's not a national class. Does our membership want these classes?
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

We already have Historic.

We have CST, just need to add the aero part and call it good.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

Personally I think we should get away from the wink and nod aspects. Require a "street legal" class to have certain obvious equipment but not entertain the fiction of it being State of California legal which includes emissions etc. And if your car does not meet emissions, we shouldn't continue the fiction of requiring the car to be licensed and insured. Building a "South Dakota" car isn't much of an answer. How are we supposed to license and insure that?

Many of these cars, like mine, are race cars which fit into street-equipment run-whatcha-brung categories. If some want to jump through hoops to be able to drive their illegal cars on the street that's a separate matter. I know people who swap engines every two years, smog test, and then re-swap engines. I know others who seek out pirate smog stations that will sell a cert for a price. What they do is of no concern to me...but I don't want to have to do it.

As Anthony says...it hasn't historically been a problem. And while that's correct, it sets us up for can of worms future problems, especially if it goes national. And to my mind, it seems a self-inflicted unnecessary issue. Lets just make what we actually do be Solo legal.
Marshall Grice
Club: CASOC
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Has anyone compared xs to cam? You may find some similar wording.
Mike Flanigan

Post by Mike Flanigan »

If one was building a strictly XS car, one could build one for the class. The ones competing in this class would regulate themselves as far as weight would be concerned, as well as being road legal.

CalClub does not necessarily have to have this class run at the events.....as CST is the present class and it functions fine.

If I were to run XS class at a major (local) event, I have a place to compete and play. Again, likely won't be anywhere near the pointy end, but it would be a good time racing with people that are trying to be quick. No contingencies is kind of a bummer though, but I see it as they would......their "parts" would not necessarily be the reason for the win (as much as the amount of power we're able to get to the ground).

As far as smog legal here, and smog legal in Nebraska......a change can be made fairly easily to compete there (or somewhere nationwide), which should potentially make more power with whatever car one is running.

Again, one could build a car for the class (XS), and self regulate just as any AS, BS, CS, etc, class competitors would.

Locally, the CST class has the potential to get even larger as that is where the XS cars would likely play.

If CalClub did run this class, then I can see where the problem would be on a local basis (weighing cars/protests) as there would be so many different platforms competing.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Is this the class where you buy a CSP miata, transplant a turbo Rotary, and add Aero? Sweet....
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Mike Flanigan

Post by Mike Flanigan »

Steve Ekstrand wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:59 pm Is this the class where you buy a CSP miata, transplant a turbo Rotary, and add Aero? Sweet....
For someone that likes to build their own race cars, that'd likely be the choice of cars to put together. Keeping it road legal (smog legal) would be a stretch there w/ the rotary (in CA). Who makes/made a well working chassis prior to 1974 that could beat a miata?.....a well modified 914 (+turbo)?

It would still be a struggle to get the power to the ground.

Finding a tire manufacturer to convince them to make the tires that would be required to perform in the class (realllllly wide), would be the tough part.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/bar ... 26577.html lol.
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

I don’t think there is any requirement to be ca smog legal to run in xs.
Bill Martin

Post by Bill Martin »

But there is a requirement to be licensed and insured. I'm assuming licensed really means current registration. And registration requires smog. Is there some sort of obnoxious way to dodge all this stuff? Probably. But why should we have to...our rules should work for us, not make things difficult.
John Fendel
Car#: 23

Post by John Fendel »

I remember in past hearing about someone licencing a Porsche 917-30 in Mass for the street.
Wouldn't work in Calif, but if it is licenced in the home state, it could race here,
Do you have a PO box in Mass?
#ALSaware, GRC Performance, Red Line Oil
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

So, XS is a class for people willing to violate FEDERAL LAW and who at least claim to live in some podunk state with lax rules and no inspections. Seems like a solid and fair plan for the sports growth.... :? :? :? :? Do we add insurance fraud in their as well?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Marshall Grice

Post by Marshall Grice »

How is it any different from every category above street?