Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Rick Brown »

David Davilas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:14 pm Hello guys, trying to figure out what class I am so i can order some lettering and numbers.

I have a 2004 350z with aftermarket wheels, coilovers, intake and exhaust. I registered for sunday as a novice since its my first event.
STU. I've updated your MSR registration for you.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

Rick Brown wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:27 pm
David Davilas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:14 pm Hello guys, trying to figure out what class I am so i can order some lettering and numbers.

I have a 2004 350z with aftermarket wheels, coilovers, intake and exhaust. I registered for sunday as a novice since its my first event.

Great! Thank you. How do I know what numbers are available? If I were to just order 3 digits its likely I would be able to arrange them in an order? for example 236 326 623 632 263 etc....
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

David Davilas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Great! Thank you. How do I know what numbers are available? If I were to just order 3 digits its likely I would be able to arrange them in an order? for example 236 326 623 632 263 etc....
Go to our homepage (click logo above), then click Members, then Points Card Listings. Note 600 range numbers are reserved for guests at events and cannot be used as a permanent number. Once you find an available number go to https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/ca ... cca-854016 to request your number.
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Rick Brown wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:29 am
David Davilas wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:55 pm

Go to our homepage (click logo above), then click Members, then Points Card Listings. Note 600 range numbers are reserved for guests at events and cannot be used as a permanent number. Once you find an available number go to https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/ca ... cca-854016 to request your number.
You can also go to that link and click entry list, then click o the # sign to sort by numbers and you can see what has been purchased.
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

great thank you for the help, can anyone pm me their name and member ID, might as well create my scca membership now
Daryll Parker

New to autocross

Post by Daryll Parker »

Hi, I will be participating in my first ever autocross event this coming Sept. Can anyone help me class my car. I drive a Subaru WRX 2016 base. The car is completely stock other than some new tires i put on it.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Re: New to autocross

Post by Rick Brown »

Daryll Parker wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:29 pm Hi, I will be participating in my first ever autocross event this coming Sept. Can anyone help me class my car. I drive a Subaru WRX 2016 base. The car is completely stock other than some new tires i put on it.
D Street (DS) Assuming the tires have a wear index of at least 200.
You have the option of running in the Novice Class, with a DS index. You run at the same time as other DS cars, but are classed in the results with other Novices. The run order will be published the week of the event. Other details are on MotorsportReg where you register for the event. Details
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

I am considering getting a Carbon fiber hood, would that move me from STU to street modified?
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

David Davilas wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:47 am I am considering getting a Carbon fiber hood, would that move me from STU to street modified?
By the rulebook yes that would make you a Street Mod car but seeing as you probably aren't going to suddenly buy Hoosiers and start cutting body panels I wouldn't worry about staying in STU (where your car really aligns) locally. No one should complain ... unless you start beating everyone :lol:
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

Reed Gibson wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:25 am
David Davilas wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:47 am I am considering getting a Carbon fiber hood, would that move me from STU to street modified?
By the rulebook yes that would make you a Street Mod car but seeing as you probably aren't going to suddenly buy Hoosiers and start cutting body panels I wouldn't worry about staying in STU (where your car really aligns) locally. No one should complain ... unless you start beating everyone :lol:
lol no way I start beating people I am a complete noobie when it comes to this, I bought my decals for STU and just got them i also did order a cf hood its on the way hopefully I can stay in STU as I just bought those decals everything else about my car is STU I even still have a stock clutch
Gary Emenhiser

Post by Gary Emenhiser »

I know my old ‘07 Toyota Yaris should be in HS. Cat-back exhaust and rear sway bar are the only upgrades but I have an old set of Hoosiers with a UTQG of 040 that I intend to use up this weekend. Do the tires bump me up to FSP? STS? I’m not sure what the Novice class is. Thanks
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Gary Emenhiser wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:01 pm I know my old ‘07 Toyota Yaris should be in HS. Cat-back exhaust and rear sway bar are the only upgrades but I have an old set of Hoosiers with a UTQG of 040 that I intend to use up this weekend. Do the tires bump me up to FSP? STS? I’m not sure what the Novice class is. Thanks
FSP seems reasonable.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Anthony P. wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:13 am
Gary Emenhiser wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:01 pm I know my old ‘07 Toyota Yaris should be in HS. Cat-back exhaust and rear sway bar are the only upgrades but I have an old set of Hoosiers with a UTQG of 040 that I intend to use up this weekend. Do the tires bump me up to FSP? STS? I’m not sure what the Novice class is. Thanks
FSP seems reasonable.
But unless you kill the class, no one will care. Run HS if you want and I can reclass you after if it's an issue. Novice is for new drivers that may feel intimidated in regular class competition in their first year (we do have a lot of National level drivers in Cal Club). If you sign up for Novice, you still run with your regular class so you get to know those people, but you are scored with the rest of the Novices for trophies and year end points.
Dan Chavez

Post by Dan Chavez »

Hi there! I signed up for the Auto-X coming up in a couple weeks. I'm SUPER excited! This will be my first time, and I wanted to confirm the class for my 2017 Focus RS. Here is a list of relevant mods:
- Wheels (18x9 vs stock 19x8) (running standard treadwear 300 tires)
- Intake & exhaust (stock downpipe)
- Intercooler (with stock piping)
- Tuned
- Coilovers (with front end links & rear camber and toe arms)

I registered under STU, as that's what I assumed I would fall under. Also, during registration, I did not see an option to register as a Novice. I'm assuming I could do that at the event?

Finally, when registering, I chose the number 641. However, from what I understand, that won't necessarily be my number, and I would be assigned a random 6** number at check-in. If that's the case, I could just bring some blue painter's tape to make the numbers and class on the side of my car after assignment, correct? Thanks in advance!
Anthony P.

Post by Anthony P. »

Dan Chavez wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:56 am Hi there! I signed up for the Auto-X coming up in a couple weeks. I'm SUPER excited! This will be my first time, and I wanted to confirm the class for my 2017 Focus RS. Here is a list of relevant mods:
- Wheels (18x9 vs stock 19x8) (running standard treadwear 300 tires)
- Intake & exhaust (stock downpipe)
- Intercooler (with stock piping)
- Tuned
- Coilovers (with front end links & rear camber and toe arms)

I registered under STU, as that's what I assumed I would fall under. Also, during registration, I did not see an option to register as a Novice. I'm assuming I could do that at the event?
Seems right. Actually the class would be Nov (Novice) and the pax(modifier) will be STU. I made the change to your registration for that. You'll race with STU, so you can get to know fellow stu participants but for scoring you'll be grouped together with novices.
Dan Chavez wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:56 amFinally, when registering, I chose the number 641. However, from what I understand, that won't necessarily be my number, and I would be assigned a random 6** number at check-in.
Thanks that's old info. You can count on the number you selected. I have edited that for future events as well. Thanks!
Dan Chavez wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:56 am If that's the case, I could just bring some blue painter's tape to make the numbers and class on the side of my car after assignment, correct? Thanks in advance!
As long as blue is easy to read on your car. Otherwise green is a good option.
Dan Chavez

Post by Dan Chavez »

Anthony P. wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:06 pm Seems right. Actually the class would be Nov (Novice) and the pax(modifier) will be STU. I made the change to your registration for that. You'll race with STU, so you can get to know fellow stu participants but for scoring you'll be grouped together with novices.

Thanks that's old info. You can count on the number you selected. I have edited that for future events as well. Thanks!

As long as blue is easy to read on your car. Otherwise green is a good option.
Great! Thanks for all the help! My RS is stealth gray, so I may just pick up some green (or yellow) frog tape to be safe. The 14th can't come fast enough!
Julian Ramon

Help Class 1990 Camaro with Front 1LE brake upgrade

Post by Julian Ramon »

Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to confirm my suspicions after reading through the scca classing sections 13 and 14. The previous owner did a 1LE/Corvette front brake upgrade on this camaro and based on that it appears that I go from Street class to street touring, correct? Unless I downgrade the front calipers and spindles to accommodate stock calipers and rotors...everything else is stock or OEM replacement parts.
Tom Kamman

Post by Tom Kamman »

Julian, CAM-T is the perfect class for your Camaro. Pretty much all upgrades are allowed. The only thing you need is 200 TW (or higher) Tires....
Julian Ramon

Post by Julian Ramon »

Thanks Tom, I'll check it out, should be fun!
Eric Geye

Post by Eric Geye »

I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If not please let me know and I will move.......

I recently ran an autocross track day at BRP with Omega Motorsports Events. I had a blast and thought I should try something a bit more......... well, more. So I joined SCCA and Cal Club and I am hoping to attend whatever the next autocross event is. From the reading I have done so far, it sounds like I need to determine what class my car falls into. I have been looking at the SCCA rule book, and I believe I belong in STH. Could someone please tell me if I am wrong? My vehicle does have some modifications, though I believe they are small. I would be willing to remove some/all of the modifications if it would allow me to compete in a class where I might be more competitive. Here is the list of modifications.

My vehicle is a 2005 Mini Cooper S hardtop.

Open element "cold air" air filter.
Front strut tower brace (attaches only to upper strut mounting bolts)
Strut tower braces from a convertible Mini Cooper (run from the "frame" ahead of the strut towers to the strut towers. Mount in factory holes.)
17x7.5 et42 wheels
215/45R17 General Tires with 500 treadwear rating
Milltek Cat back exhaust
Aftermarket upper rear control arms of unknown origin with heim joint ends
Adjustable rear sway bar (unknown brand)
Slotted and drilled brake rotors (stock size, stock calipers)
15% supercharger overdrive pulley

I know the STH rules say no supercharger pulley modifications, and I am certainly willing to change it. However, the stock John Cooper Works cars come with a smaller pulley on the supercharger. I wonder if that would allow me to run the smaller pulley?

It is my intention to try and run a full season for 2021, so I guess I need to purchase a points card? I am still trying to figure all of this out. Also, I have not seen any events scheduled for 2021 yet. Am I not looking in the correct place? On the https://solo2.motorsportreg.com/events page I only see annual numbers as an event. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.................
Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Eric Geye wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 pm I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If not please let me know and I will move.......

I recently ran an autocross track day at BRP with Omega Motorsports Events. I had a blast and thought I should try something a bit more......... well, more. So I joined SCCA and Cal Club and I am hoping to attend whatever the next autocross event is. From the reading I have done so far, it sounds like I need to determine what class my car falls into. I have been looking at the SCCA rule book, and I believe I belong in STH. Could someone please tell me if I am wrong? My vehicle does have some modifications, though I believe they are small. I would be willing to remove some/all of the modifications if it would allow me to compete in a class where I might be more competitive. Here is the list of modifications.

Strut tower braces from a convertible Mini Cooper (run from the "frame" ahead of the strut towers to the strut towers. Mount in factory holes.)
17x7.5 et42 wheels
Milltek Cat back exhaust

I know the STH rules say no supercharger pulley modifications, and I am certainly willing to change it. However, the stock John Cooper Works cars come with a smaller pulley on the supercharger. I wonder if that would allow me to run the smaller pulley?

It is my intention to try and run a full season for 2021, so I guess I need to purchase a points card? I am still trying to figure all of this out. Also, I have not seen any events scheduled for 2021 yet. Am I not looking in the correct place? On the https://solo2.motorsportreg.com/events page I only see annual numbers as an event. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.................
Eric,

First off welcome to our corner of the autocross world. If you want to improve your autocross skills you've definitely come to the right place!

To start, thank you for actually taking some time to look at the SCCA rulebook, you wouldn't believe how many people don't even attempt to class their cars themselves! As for your Mini, STH is probably the class it is closest to. Below are my thoughts on getting your car to the class rules. However, I'll preface this with the following advice. To start out, don't worry about modifying your existing fun car to some arbitrary rule-set. You'll have a much better time just coming out and giving our events a try with a car you know and love already. If you want to take the plunge to the competitive side of things we can certainly help guide you to cars/setups that are competitive.

Now, if you're still interested here's what I think (I'm sure some others will chime in as well):
  • Strut tower braces are allowed in Street Touring but I do not think your tower braces from the convertible Mini will be legal. Section 14.2.G wasn't super clear to me on that one.
  • Your current wheel and tire setup is undersized for the limits of your class. STH (2WD) can run up to 265mm tires on 9.0" wheels. I would suspect you would want to use as much tires in the front as you can with one of the common top tier 200tw tires (Bridgestone RE71R, BFgoodrich Rival S, Yokohoma A052, Falken RT660). Any other tire will be significantly off the pace.
  • Aftermarket control arms may be used however if yours contain heim joints that may not be a legal subsititution. Bushing rules for every class beneath the Street Prepared (i.e. Hoosier level) will not allow you to increase the ratio of metal to rubber in your bushings.
  • Overdrive pulleys are not legal per the rules. Unless it says you can change it using an OEM part then your aftermarket pulley is illegal, even if it mirrors an OEM package option. The purpose of this is to prevent people from building Franken-cars that take the best bits from multiple trim levels.
Last edited by Reed Gibson on Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Hi Eric, welcome to CalClub. Not sure about all your mods for STH, but we only have 1 or 2 people that run that class. Your best bet would probably be CST, a local class that is very popular (around 20 entries regularly), and is a catch all class allowing almost any mods as long as you are on 200TW or higher tires. There is also another Cooper S running in that class. If you are interested in National level events, your car should be eligible for the Extreme Street class. Next year we offer both with the possibility of CST being replaced in 2022 with ES (more info here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10809). Yes, get a points card, gives you a permanent number plus gives early access to practice day entry, which usually sells out quickly. We do have two confirmed (signed contracts) for 2021, they should be up in MSR soon. First one is January 16-17.
Eric Geye wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:18 pm I hope I am posting this in the correct place. If not please let me know and I will move.......

17x7.5 et42 wheels
Milltek Cat back exhaust

Jon Hoffman

Post by Jon Hoffman »

Hi,

Signed up for Novice for my first ever autocross event next month at Fontana. I'll be the noob in the bright red Miata convertible with T roll bar. Think I selected Time Only when asked because I'll probably approach this the same way I did motorcycle track days: fun and improvement. But curious about what class my car would be. After poking around at the rules a bit it might be Street Touring.

'99 Miata NB convertible. Think these knock it out of stock:

- Mazdaspeed shocks & springs
- Enkei rims (14x7 like oem) with Falken Azenia RT615K+ that are wider, 195 rather than oem 185

Other:

Drop in k&n air filter.
Aftermarket muffler.
Mazdaspeed radiator.
Momo 300mm (smaller than oem) steering wheel.
Bolt on bracing: front strut tower brace, frame rail braces, rear subframe brace, butterfly brace.
Roll bar. A home made roll bar that prior owner did for cosmetics and some stiffness. Fits with existing oem soft and hard tops.

What say the experienced?

Thx!

Reed Gibson

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hi Jon,

Welcome to our club! Your research would be correct in that your modifications have exceeded the limits of the stock class rules. With the modifications you've listed below your car should be legal in Street Touring Roadster (STR) although I'm not 100% your frame rail braces are legal.

That being said, the NB Miata is somewhat unloved by the classing structure as STR is also home to the ND Miata which is the over-dog in the class.

My suggestion, if you are looking to compete, would be to either detune your car back to street class rules where the NB is very competitive in E-Street or to look at the newer Xtreme Street class which has a very small ruleset and would allow you to add pretty much anything you want to the car.
Jon Hoffman

Post by Jon Hoffman »

Thanks for the reply and pointing that out about bracing. Yes, I see some issues there after more reading. No worries since I don't intend to compete and if I get the itch would decide what to do then.