Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Scott Larsen

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Scott Larsen »

Hello! Need help classing a 2012 Mustang Gt with basic cold air intake, exhaust and tune. Running Bfgoodrich comp 2 tires. TIA
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

CAM would be an easy classification. it's basically any mods (limited aero) and 200 treadwear tires. We have a fairly good sized group that shows up each month. Otherwise ESP or a street touring class.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Jack Fowler

Post by Jack Fowler »

Hey everyone.

Newcomer here looking for help with classing.

Experience:
I don’t have any experience with autocross track days with my car, but I have a lot of experience in other Motorsports like dirt bikes and go carts. I’m not sure how my ability with autocross would be, but either way you look at it I’m a beginner.

Car:
I have a 2011 BMW 135i with the N55 motor.
The car is completely stock other than wheel spacers and new 200 tread wear tires.

Any advice would be awesome!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Hi Jack, welcome to the group. Your car would be in F Street (FS). You also have the option of running in Novice class with other new people. This is an indexed class with times modified based on your regular class, but you run at the same time as other FS cars. Note that we have instruction available for new people, including a guided course walk and instructors that can ride with you or even drive your car to show you what it's like.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Eric DeSplinter

Post by Eric DeSplinter »

Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Also, more importantly, I see that they are not giving out loaner helmets at this time. I do not have a helmet and would prefer to not purchase one for this event. Does anyone have one they could lend me? I am fully vaccinated if that matters to you. Alternatively, could you at least point me in the right direction where I could purchase a relatively inexpensive helmet? It would be nice if I could purchase one in store instead of online.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

Eric DeSplinter wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:49 pm Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Also, more importantly, I see that they are not giving out loaner helmets at this time. I do not have a helmet and would prefer to not purchase one for this event. Does anyone have one they could lend me? I am fully vaccinated if that matters to you. Alternatively, could you at least point me in the right direction where I could purchase a relatively inexpensive helmet? It would be nice if I could purchase one in store instead of online.

The car would be in AS (A Street). As for a helmet, a motorcycle shop would be able to have a variety of helmets that you could try on. You don't need an SA helmet for solo, a M rated helmet is fine. Bert's Mega Mall in Covina or Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino are both shops that should have a good variety of helmets that range from inexpensive to "holy crap, that's more than a set of Hoosiers". Just make sure the helmet has a SNELL rating with at least a 2015 year, 2020 would be better.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Eric DeSplinter

Post by Eric DeSplinter »

Earl Merz wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:03 am Eric DeSplinter wrote: ↑Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:49 pm
Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

The car would be in AS (A Street). As for a helmet, a motorcycle shop would be able to have a variety of helmets that you could try on. You don't need an SA helmet for solo, a M rated helmet is fine. Bert's Mega Mall in Covina or Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino are both shops that should have a good variety of helmets that range from inexpensive to "holy crap, that's more than a set of Hoosiers". Just make sure the helmet has a SNELL rating with at least a 2015 year, 2020 would be better.
Thank you very much.
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

Hi guys what class would my 2007 bmw 335i be in? I have bolt ons (exhaust, intake, etc) thanks in advance.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

David Davilas wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:22 pm Hi guys what class would my 2007 bmw 335i be in? I have bolt ons (exhaust, intake, etc) thanks in advance.
Because you have an intake you'll be bumped up into the Street Touring categories which allow intake, exhaust, tunes, suspension and larger wheels/tires. If your car is a turbo then it's in STU, non-turbo 335's are in STX.
Phillip Coughran

Post by Phillip Coughran »

Coming from St Louis SCCA where I last raced in 2020 (2011 BMW M3 coupe that was FS). At the time there were rumors the E92s might get classed differently. I haven't seen the 2022 classing rules yet = am I still FS?
Another question = do y'all allow 3 driver car? My son and I co drive men FS and my wife drives separate heat for women's FS? That's how we did it in St. Louis but they may have adjusted for our situation.
My son is very competitive = was 2nd in PAX overall in St. Louis region in 2020 and consistently was first in FS, STX, and SM over various years.

Thanks,

Phil
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Phillip Coughran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 pm Coming from St Louis SCCA where I last raced in 2020 (2011 BMW M3 coupe that was FS). At the time there were rumors the E92s might get classed differently. I haven't seen the 2022 classing rules yet = am I still FS?
Another question = do y'all allow 3 driver car? My son and I co drive men FS and my wife drives separate heat for women's FS? That's how we did it in St. Louis but they may have adjusted for our situation.
My son is very competitive = was 2nd in PAX overall in St. Louis region in 2020 and consistently was first in FS, STX, and SM over various years.

Thanks,

Phil
Welcome to the region, Phil. Not sure on the classing, 2022 Rules have not been posted yet, don't recall if there was a Fast Track post.

Technically, you are allowed 2 open class and 2 ladies class drivers in a car, we prefer not to have 4 drivers in one car in a group. Nearly all our ladies compete in PAX Ladies class, which always runs in a different group than the open PAX class. While in general, ladies' classes run the same time as open, we will always do what we can to make things work for multiple driver cars.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...