Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Scott Larsen

Re: Post Car Classing Help Questions Here!

Post by Scott Larsen »

Hello! Need help classing a 2012 Mustang Gt with basic cold air intake, exhaust and tune. Running Bfgoodrich comp 2 tires. TIA
Earl Merz
Club: No$
Car#: 40

Post by Earl Merz »

CAM would be an easy classification. it's basically any mods (limited aero) and 200 treadwear tires. We have a fairly good sized group that shows up each month. Otherwise ESP or a street touring class.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE with Nav (need it to find my way around the course)
Jack Fowler

Post by Jack Fowler »

Hey everyone.

Newcomer here looking for help with classing.

Experience:
I don’t have any experience with autocross track days with my car, but I have a lot of experience in other Motorsports like dirt bikes and go carts. I’m not sure how my ability with autocross would be, but either way you look at it I’m a beginner.

Car:
I have a 2011 BMW 135i with the N55 motor.
The car is completely stock other than wheel spacers and new 200 tread wear tires.

Any advice would be awesome!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Hi Jack, welcome to the group. Your car would be in F Street (FS). You also have the option of running in Novice class with other new people. This is an indexed class with times modified based on your regular class, but you run at the same time as other FS cars. Note that we have instruction available for new people, including a guided course walk and instructors that can ride with you or even drive your car to show you what it's like.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Eric DeSplinter

Post by Eric DeSplinter »

Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Also, more importantly, I see that they are not giving out loaner helmets at this time. I do not have a helmet and would prefer to not purchase one for this event. Does anyone have one they could lend me? I am fully vaccinated if that matters to you. Alternatively, could you at least point me in the right direction where I could purchase a relatively inexpensive helmet? It would be nice if I could purchase one in store instead of online.

Thank you for your help in advance.
Earl Merz

Post by Earl Merz »

Eric DeSplinter wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:49 pm Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

Also, more importantly, I see that they are not giving out loaner helmets at this time. I do not have a helmet and would prefer to not purchase one for this event. Does anyone have one they could lend me? I am fully vaccinated if that matters to you. Alternatively, could you at least point me in the right direction where I could purchase a relatively inexpensive helmet? It would be nice if I could purchase one in store instead of online.

The car would be in AS (A Street). As for a helmet, a motorcycle shop would be able to have a variety of helmets that you could try on. You don't need an SA helmet for solo, a M rated helmet is fine. Bert's Mega Mall in Covina or Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino are both shops that should have a good variety of helmets that range from inexpensive to "holy crap, that's more than a set of Hoosiers". Just make sure the helmet has a SNELL rating with at least a 2015 year, 2020 would be better.
Eric DeSplinter

Post by Eric DeSplinter »

Earl Merz wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 11:03 am Eric DeSplinter wrote: ↑Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:49 pm
Hi - I plan to attend the event on 7/10 and 7/11. This will be my first time at an event. I know someone can class my car when I get to the event, but I figure I would try to do it early and would appreciate some help as I am completely new to this. I have a stock 2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio.

The car would be in AS (A Street). As for a helmet, a motorcycle shop would be able to have a variety of helmets that you could try on. You don't need an SA helmet for solo, a M rated helmet is fine. Bert's Mega Mall in Covina or Chaparral Motorsports in San Bernardino are both shops that should have a good variety of helmets that range from inexpensive to "holy crap, that's more than a set of Hoosiers". Just make sure the helmet has a SNELL rating with at least a 2015 year, 2020 would be better.
Thank you very much.
David Davilas

Post by David Davilas »

Hi guys what class would my 2007 bmw 335i be in? I have bolt ons (exhaust, intake, etc) thanks in advance.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

David Davilas wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:22 pm Hi guys what class would my 2007 bmw 335i be in? I have bolt ons (exhaust, intake, etc) thanks in advance.
Because you have an intake you'll be bumped up into the Street Touring categories which allow intake, exhaust, tunes, suspension and larger wheels/tires. If your car is a turbo then it's in STU, non-turbo 335's are in STX.
Phillip Coughran

Post by Phillip Coughran »

Coming from St Louis SCCA where I last raced in 2020 (2011 BMW M3 coupe that was FS). At the time there were rumors the E92s might get classed differently. I haven't seen the 2022 classing rules yet = am I still FS?
Another question = do y'all allow 3 driver car? My son and I co drive men FS and my wife drives separate heat for women's FS? That's how we did it in St. Louis but they may have adjusted for our situation.
My son is very competitive = was 2nd in PAX overall in St. Louis region in 2020 and consistently was first in FS, STX, and SM over various years.

Thanks,

Phil
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Phillip Coughran wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:08 pm Coming from St Louis SCCA where I last raced in 2020 (2011 BMW M3 coupe that was FS). At the time there were rumors the E92s might get classed differently. I haven't seen the 2022 classing rules yet = am I still FS?
Another question = do y'all allow 3 driver car? My son and I co drive men FS and my wife drives separate heat for women's FS? That's how we did it in St. Louis but they may have adjusted for our situation.
My son is very competitive = was 2nd in PAX overall in St. Louis region in 2020 and consistently was first in FS, STX, and SM over various years.

Thanks,

Phil
Welcome to the region, Phil. Not sure on the classing, 2022 Rules have not been posted yet, don't recall if there was a Fast Track post.

Technically, you are allowed 2 open class and 2 ladies class drivers in a car, we prefer not to have 4 drivers in one car in a group. Nearly all our ladies compete in PAX Ladies class, which always runs in a different group than the open PAX class. While in general, ladies' classes run the same time as open, we will always do what we can to make things work for multiple driver cars.
Gabriel_Roca

Post by Gabriel_Roca »

Hi Everyone,

Beginner here looking for help classifying my car. I have zero auto x or track experience but am interested in joining and learning from everyone.

I currently have a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Package. Currently it is stock, the only thing I am considering getting for autocross are some new tires. Not sure if that will change my class but looking at getting some Kumho V720 or V730 or some Falken RT615s. No other modifications to my car.

Thanks for the help!
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Welcome Gabreil,

Looks like DS (D Street) for you. Assuming you are staying on stock (or stock size) rims, you have to run on 200 tread wear or greater tires. I'll let someone with more knowledge on tires recommend what might be your best choice.

We have events this coming weekend at AutoClub Speedway in Fontana, if you have time, you can either jump right in or just come by and check things out. Practice day on Saturday and Championship on Sunday. Pre-Registration is now closed, but you can sign up at the event, at least for Sunday, Saturday is sold out. If you just come by you can usually get a ride along to really get a feel for it, and there is another Veloster N currently running with us who will be there both days.
Details: msreg.com/CalClubMar2022
Gabriel_Roca wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:46 pm Hi Everyone,

Beginner here looking for help classifying my car. I have zero auto x or track experience but am interested in joining and learning from everyone.

I currently have a 2020 Hyundai Veloster N Performance Package. Currently it is stock, the only thing I am considering getting for autocross are some new tires. Not sure if that will change my class but looking at getting some Kumho V720 or V730 or some Falken RT615s. No other modifications to my car.

Thanks for the help!
Scott McDonald1959

Post by Scott McDonald1959 »

Greetings!

Newby to autocross here and hoping to register for your Sept event. My car is a Factory Five Cobra Roadster replica. It’s built with Mustang running gear including some upgrades to to engine (347 c.i.) and suspension ( performance shocks, 200tw+ tires) and is registered and insured for the street. I checked the SCCA rule book and my car is mentioned in both XP and CAM-S classes. My guess is CAM -S Novice but want to make sure.

Thanks for the help.
Earl Merz

Post by Earl Merz »

CAM-S is your best option. XP would be those running on racing slicks or at least Hoosier A7s. CAM is a better fix for most kit cars and muscle car guys because the rules are fairly open. Just need to meet the 200tw rule, minimum weight, and don't have a lot of aero(some is okay, but there are limits).
Pastormacman

Post by Pastormacman »

I am new to auto cross. I’m not looking into getting into racing, I really just want to learn the limitations of my car so I can become a better and safer driver with it.

I have a 2008 NC Miata GT with the premium package that came with the bilstein shocks and limited slip diff. The car is stock with no modifications.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Pastormacman wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:37 pm I am new to auto cross. I’m not looking into getting into racing, I really just want to learn the limitations of my car so I can become a better and safer driver with it.

I have a 2008 NC Miata GT with the premium package that came with the bilstein shocks and limited slip diff. The car is stock with no modifications.
Welcome to CalClub autocross. Our next event is September 10-11, with a practice day on Saturday and a "Championship" day on Sunday. Either would help you to your goal, Saturday has an entry limit to allow more runs, Sunday has no limit, but has classes for competition, you would be in C Street. Be sure to check out the info at solo2.com for details on what to expect for your first time. You can come to either day as a spectator just to see how things go, and even get a ride with someone. Link to event sign up: http://msreg.com/CalClubSept2022.
veemuhnee
Car#: 420

Post by veemuhnee »

Hi all!

looking forward to tomorrow, my second autocross! hoping someone can help me class my car. since I'm such a newb not sure what info to provide but reviewing other posts, here's some info on my car. Oh I'm currently classed as Novice SS. This is my best guess based on the SCCA National Solo Rules page 181 (top). See attached for reference.

Vehicle info:

2017 991.2 Base (991 Carrera 2)
3.0L Turbo
Stock tires (Pirelli P-Zero)

Mods:
High flow catalytic converter
Performance exhaust
ECU Tune

**EDIT: totally forgot to ask about race numbers/class: do I include the Novice and the SS class or just the SS or just the Novice?

Thanks in advance!
vinh
949-205-9489
Attachments
scca_class.png
scca_class.png (298.87 KiB) Viewed 251583 times
jab2007

Post by jab2007 »

I have a stock nb miata other than coilovers and wheels. What class do I select?
Keith Lyon

Post by Keith Lyon »

Not sure why there hasn't been a reply, so I'll try.
Because of your suspension mods, you cannot run in E Street (stock), but probably could run in C Street Prepared or STS (STS assuming no limited slip). Also, assuming you are new, you can run in Novice.
I'm not an expert in our class structure, so this needs to be verified, and there are probably additional classes where your car would be legal.
Andrew Adamson 01

Brand new to this and need some help!

Post by Andrew Adamson 01 »

Hey there all! I’m looking to get into autocross for the first time and have some questions. I have a 2007 Ford Mustang v6 with lowering springs, cold air intake, pirelli p zero tires, and dual exit exhaust and I am wondering where that would be classed as? I’m also wondering if I have to have a tow hook to run? Another questions would be is there loaner helmets available at site or would I need to bring one. Any answers and relevant information for a beginner would be a huge help, thank you in advance!

Edit* - also questions about how the numbers work if you are just doing for example practice saturdays and championship sundays but not competing for the points! Again thank you
Tom Kamman

Post by Tom Kamman »

Welcome Andrew, your Mustang sounds like a great car to start Autocrossing, the best class with your mods would be CAM-C. No tow hook needed. We haven’t had loaner helmets since Covid so if you can source one that is best. No numbers are needed for Saturdays, if you come Sunday we assign a number to you, and we provide the numbers to tape on. The best advice is to come early so you can walk the track and be sure to take advantage of the Novice walk. Also ask for an instructor your first or second lap as it can be a huge help to have someone else navigate the course. Don’t be afraid to ask anyone questions, and remember to relax and enjoy yourself.
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

"We haven’t had loaner helmets since Covid", we have recently purchased new ones, so loaner helmets are available again.
RokuDergy

Post by RokuDergy »

Hi all,

Was hoping someone can help me class my car. I have a completely stock 2023 Rush SR. More info on the car can be found here: https://rushautoworks.com/car_post/rush-sr/

Spec sheet: https://rushautoworks.com/wp-content/up ... ochure.pdf

Thanks!
~Ivy Stowe
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director

Post by Rick Brown »

Based on what we can see in the links, looks it would probably be B-Modified. We can fine tune which Mod class is best when we see it.
Our next event is July 8-9 at Lake Elsinore Storm Stadium, practice on Saturday, Championship on Sunday. Either day would work for you, with more runs available on Saturday, and more opportunity to make adjustments for autocross type events (but Saturday has an entry limit and may sell out).
Registration link HERE
RokuDergy wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 5:33 pm Hi all,

Was hoping someone can help me class my car. I have a completely stock 2023 Rush SR. More info on the car can be found here: https://rushautoworks.com/car_post/rush-sr/

Spec sheet: https://rushautoworks.com/wp-content/up ... ochure.pdf

Thanks!
~Ivy Stowe