Aug 13 PRACTICE Follow-up

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Ed Holley
Club: CASOC
Car#: 912

Aug 13 PRACTICE Follow-up

Post by Ed Holley »

Just wanted to say "thanks" to everyone who made the PRACTICE such a great event last Saturday. We absolutely loved the course layout, although we just started to figure it out at the end of the morning and afternoon sessions. Maybe these PRACTICES need to be 25 runs. :D

We took the opportunity to meet more people, including the Rios' and their son, as well as "Tom", "Bill", "Justin" and what's-his-name the Safety Steward. And of course, Renee and Irish. Although we saw George around, we never got to renew acquaintences and say "hi". I know we met many others throughout the weekend but, at the moment, theire names are escaping us. Okay, so we're old.

Anyway, it was a blast. Thanks for letting us be a part of it.

Ed & Sharon Holley
2012 ES Regional Champion
2001 NB Miata
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Re: Aug 13 PRACTICE Follow-up

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Glad you joined us Ed! I don't think we've met - at least I don't recognize the car in your avatar - but I hope we can correct that at the September event.

Keep driving as often as possible and you'll be amazed at how rapidly you improve. Grab rides with people too, and invite some experienced drivers to show you the way around the course in your own car. Each of those laps will give you valuable experience, even with you observing from the passenger seat.

Mike
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Mike Simanyi wrote:Glad you joined us Ed! I don't think we've met - at least I don't recognize the car in your avatar - but I hope we can correct that at the September event.

Keep driving as often as possible and you'll be amazed at how rapidly you improve. Grab rides with people too, and invite some experienced drivers to show you the way around the course in your own car. Each of those laps will give you valuable experience, even with you observing from the passenger seat.

Mike
Actually, we're running down at Qualcomm this weekend. So far, we've run more San Diego events than Cal-Club even though we live in Apple Valley. We're hoping to run the Auto Club Speedway event...if we can get into the PRACTICE. We'll see.

As for ride alongs...I took a ride with Seb Rios on Saturday. And Sharon rode with Shanna. OMG, there is a BIT of a difference betwwen a 58 second Honda hatchback and a 67 second STOCK Miata.
2001 NB Miata
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

It wouldn't take much to make that a 58 sec Miata, Ed!
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Thanks again for holding up your end of the bargain and helping clean up. You really worked hard and I appreciate it.
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Max Hayter wrote:It wouldn't take much to make that a 58 sec Miata, Ed!
Yeah, it's called a heavier right foot. :lol:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Ed Holley wrote: ...So far, we've run more San Diego events than Cal-Club even though we live in Apple Valley...
Hey! Another desert rat! :D I live in Hesperia, and I think I've been the only one for the past year or so since the Slawnikowskis left us.
Mark D.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Howdy Mark! We're not really Desert Rats. We're only serving our 40 years in "the desert" according to scripture. We've been here 21 years. Moses should show up any day now and lead us outa here. :lol:
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Sebastian Rios wrote:Thanks again for holding up your end of the bargain and helping clean up. You really worked hard and I appreciate it.
I will always be willing to help. BTW, I can't tell you how much Sharon and I appreciate the generosity of your and Shanna's time (and car) spent with us during the weekend; particularly when you had your hands full running the show AND getting ready for Lincoln. We won't forget it.

On another front, when we are again together maybe I can get you to drive our Miata to evaluate its "stockness" and show me how YOU would attack the course.

Thanks again.

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Max Hayter wrote:It wouldn't take much to make that a 58 sec Miata, Ed!
Tell me more...

The car is pretty stock right now, although I'll be running new Dunlop Star Specs this weekend. As far as I can tell, it's got original front sway and original Miata black shocks. We bought it this way. We've owned the car about 3 months. Heck, we don't even have a performance alignment at this point.

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Racing Beat FSB
Koni shocks
Ground Control sleeves
Stiff springs
15x7 wheels
195 Toyos

Done!
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Sebastian Rios
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 397

Post by Sebastian Rios »

Max Hayter wrote: Racing Beat FSB
Koni shocks
Ground Control sleeves
NB rear top hats
Stiff springs
15x7.5 wheels
195 Toyos
Done!
Fixed a little.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Max Hayter wrote:Racing Beat FSB
Koni shocks
Ground Control sleeves
Stiff springs
15x7 wheels
195 Toyos

Done!
Thanks Max (and Seb)! The FSB is on my list, as are the Koni shocks. I already have the 15x7 wheels. However, starting this weekend, I'm on 14x6 wheels with new 185 Star Specs. Until I wear them out, these will become my learning-to-drive tires. Although I HAVE been running 195 Toyos on the 15x7s, I suspect they are NOT the Toyos to which you are referring. At this point in my learning curve, I do not know what Ground Control (brand name?) "sleeves" are. I'm thinking mybe they go between spring and shock? Also, WHICH "stiff springs" would you recommend?

Ed
2001 NB Miata
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Something like this Ed...

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1067.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Max Hayter wrote:Something like this Ed...

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Pe ... -1067.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please tell me that is NOT the price of ONE (as in one corner of the car).
2001 NB Miata
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

No, that's for all four and includes the springs. Quite the bargain really.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Ed Holley wrote:
Thanks Max (and Seb)! The FSB is on my list, as are the Koni shocks. I already have the 15x7 wheels. However, starting this weekend, I'm on 14x6 wheels with new 185 Star Specs. Until I wear them out, these will become my learning-to-drive tires. Although I HAVE been running 195 Toyos on the 15x7s, I suspect they are NOT the Toyos to which you are referring. At this point in my learning curve, I do not know what Ground Control (brand name?) "sleeves" are. I'm thinking mybe they go between spring and shock? Also, WHICH "stiff springs" would you recommend?

Ed
With those new wheels, I take it you'll be moving out of stock class then.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Or just pick up the already built Miata in the FS section :-D
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Quoc-Viet Dang wrote:Or just pick up the already built Miata in the FS section :-D
Potentially having to replace the engine sounds a little sketchy, though.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:
With those new wheels, I take it you'll be moving out of stock class then.
As is often the case, rules are subject to interpretation. The "new" wheels ARE stock. If you are referring to 14 X 5.5s, or steel versus alloy, those were only "stock" on the base model. In 1995, very few stock Miatas were built as a "base" model if one checks production figures. To my knowledge, the rules make no reference to "base" model. There are several versions of "stock" Miatas built in 1995. The 14x6 wheels were stock on all but the base Miatas. The rules state "standard, as produced by the cars manufacturer"...or words to that effect. The 14.6 alloy wheels WERE "standard" for my year and have Mazda stamped all over them.

In any event, I guess I'll wait until I'm actually winning or contending, and even then, being officially protested before worrying about it. At which time, I'll present my documentation. In the meantime, I'm just having fun and learning how to drive.

As for my DD wheels (15x7), they are for DD'ing.
2001 NB Miata
Michael Palero
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 18

Post by Michael Palero »

Ed Holley wrote:
We took the opportunity to meet more people, including the Rios' and their son, as well as "Tom", "Bill", "Justin" and what's-his-name the Safety Steward.
Had a great time chatting with you!
Ed Holley

Post by Ed Holley »

Michael Palero wrote:
Ed Holley wrote:
We took the opportunity to meet more people, including the Rios' and their son, as well as "Tom", "Bill", "Justin" and what's-his-name the Safety Steward.
Had a great time chatting with you!
Oh ya, THAT Safety Steward...Michael Palero. :oops:
Enjoyed talking with you as well. See you at the next PRACTICE. Am I in? Am I in? Oh, that's right. It hasn't been posted yet.

Ed
2001 NB Miata