Shocks vs spring/sway bars

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Shocks vs spring/sway bars

Post by Kurt Rahn »

I'm going to reveal my ignorance here. I've got about $1k to spend on suspension upgrades for the Mini. I've been planning on getting the port-installed JCW-spec springs and front sway bar, plus an aftermarket bar for the rear. Then for S&G I priced out a set of Koni yellows, and basically the cost would be the same. So the question is, which would give me the most bang for the buck?

It seems like from a daily drivability standpoint, the Konis would be the way to go, since I could put them on the softest setting when not auto crossing. But from what I understand, not only are the JCW springs stiffer, but they lower the car a little, so it seems like from a pure autocross standpoint, that might be the way to go. Anybody got any insights? Mr. I'm-not-an-engine-guy Grice? Or anyone else?
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bobby Beyer

Re: Shocks vs spring/sway bars

Post by Bobby Beyer »

How many miles does your car have? If its over 50k your stock shocks are probably blown, so should would help tremendously if that's the case.
"Promise mediocrity. Deliver just slightly better." - Jarrett Bellini
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Kurt Rahn wrote:I'm going to reveal my ignorance here. I've got about $1k to spend on suspension upgrades for the Mini. I've been planning on getting the port-installed JCW-spec springs and front sway bar, plus an aftermarket bar for the rear. Then for S&G I priced out a set of Koni yellows, and basically the cost would be the same. So the question is, which would give me the most bang for the buck?

It seems like from a daily drivability standpoint, the Konis would be the way to go, since I could put them on the softest setting when not auto crossing. But from what I understand, not only are the JCW springs stiffer, but they lower the car a little, so it seems like from a pure autocross standpoint, that might be the way to go. Anybody got any insights? Mr. I'm-not-an-engine-guy Grice? Or anyone else?
easy!!! uh...both?
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Which class prep are we talking about?
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 194

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

stock class.... he is doing a package conversion
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Jayson Woodruff
Club: PSCC
Car#: 51

Post by Jayson Woodruff »

I'd go with Marshal. Save up a little more and do them at the same time. Then you're only installing once. Also, if you did springs now, you'll be wondering how worn your shocks are. If you did shocks alone now, when you did eventually get the springs you'd look cross at your now semi-worn shocks Koni.

If you're itching for an upgrade, how about buy the Sway set and just install one, store the other.

Jay W
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

Jonathan Lugod wrote:stock class.... he is doing a package conversion
Are the rules still that a package conversion requires all or nothing? I thought JCW had motor mods, maybe a different lsd etc. Probably a megawatt sound system for all I know.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Bill Martin wrote:
Jonathan Lugod wrote:stock class.... he is doing a package conversion
Are the rules still that a package conversion requires all or nothing? I thought JCW had motor mods, maybe a different lsd etc. Probably a megawatt sound system for all I know.
Yes, the rules are all or nothing. They had two separate port-installed JCW performance packages you could add. One was for the engine and one was suspension (dampers, springs and sway bars). Since we get the dampers and one sway bar in stock class, basically I'd be buying one sway bar and the springs.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mark DeShon
Car#: 113

Post by Mark DeShon »

Both would be great, but since that was not the question you asked, springs and sways would be the best bang for your buck in my humble opinion. If your dampers are weak (and I've seen nothing to suggest they are) and you increase spring rates, the car may be a little dicier, but I seriously doubt you're gonna go slower than you would if you changed out dampers alone. Take it for what it's worth, but I would put better dampers on the short list for the next time you come across some $.
Mark D.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

If you really have to get only one i would agree with mark.
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

BTW, I noticed on your original post you were entertaining the thought of cranking Koni yellows up for events and back soft for street. Some Koni Sport shocks don't adjust all that easily. Some models have to be fully compressed to engage an internal cog and then the shaft is twisted to adjust the shock. Not so easy. Others have the white plastic knob, no problem. You might want to check specifics on yours. My Celica has one pair each type.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Thanks, Mark and Marshall. That's pretty much the info I was looking for. My dampers are actually in great shape. And I've heard from a few Mini drivers that the rear bar is the most dramatic impact because it helps with front grip, and the higher rate of the springs and resulting lower cg makes the springs/bars the way to go.
==============
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Bill Martin wrote:BTW, I noticed on your original post you were entertaining the thought of cranking Koni yellows up for events and back soft for street. Some Koni Sport shocks don't adjust all that easily. Some models have to be fully compressed to engage an internal cog and then the shaft is twisted to adjust the shock. Not so easy. Others have the white plastic knob, no problem. You might want to check specifics on yours. My Celica has one pair each type.
Mine have the knob, but in the rear, apparently, you have to take the wheels off to adjust them, so certainly not chimp simple.
==============
Steve Collins
Car#: 799

Post by Steve Collins »

I remember someone saying that Koni yellows don't like to have the damping set full stiff (i.e. with the screw against the stop). I was told to back off from full stiff "just a bit" do avoid some kind of "hydraulic lock" or something. Not sure if that's true or not, but maybe someone can confirm...

steve