If you were going to buy a new Daily Driver, that ...

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Bob Beamesderfer
Club: PSCC

Re: If you were going to buy a new Daily Driver, that ...

Post by Bob Beamesderfer »

Are either you and/or Karen Mazda Competition Team Support Members? If so, you're entitled to an S-Plan pricing certificate to buy a Mazda for any purpose.
Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Post by Mako Koiwai »

yes ... thanks ... well see what they're offering on WRX's, I mean ...
Bob Beamesderfer

Mako Koiwai wrote:yes ... thanks ... well see what they're offering on WRX's, I mean ...
At least the Mazda runs on regular. And gets better mileage.

OTOH, if you want a WRX, why ask the question? :P
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Taking our S Plan Certificate to Alhambra Mazda to test drive a MazdaSpeed 3 ... front wheel drive ... even with LSD ... isn't going to allow one to put down all of that HP and, wow ... that's a lot of torque! And all we need is another 6 spd Mazda. :(

Anyone know if you can use the S Plan to buy used Mazda's ... like a 2007 MX-5 ?
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

... because there are more then one of us involved. ;)
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Anyone know if you can use the S Plan to buy used Mazda's ... like a 2007 MX-5 ?
Nope. Only works on new cars.
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

...isn't going to allow one to put down all of that HP and, wow ... that's a lot of torque!
That was what gave me pause about the MS3: apparently the engine mapping doesn't allow you to use all the torque in the lower gears. HP doesn't mean as much as torque in our sport, so that was a black eye for me. That in addition to FWD. And the fact that I'm already driving a tire-smoking monster that requires pixie-delicate inputs to the throttle. Just ask Max how he fared on his practice run. Although that was on a 3800-lb car.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Bob Beamesderfer

Kurt Rahn wrote:
...isn't going to allow one to put down all of that HP and, wow ... that's a lot of torque!
That was what gave me pause about the MS3: apparently the engine mapping doesn't allow you to use all the torque in the lower gears.
Unless it's equipped with an automatic transmission, I don't see how that would work. The Mazda 3's slush box at least lets you ride the limiter, unlike most of the units out there.
Bob Beamesderfer

Mako Koiwai wrote:
... because there are more then one of us involved. ;)
The voice of reason? :D
Thomas Smith
Car#: 158

Post by Thomas Smith »

Bob Beamesderfer wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:
That was what gave me pause about the MS3: apparently the engine mapping doesn't allow you to use all the torque in the lower gears.
Unless it's equipped with an automatic transmission, I don't see how that would work. The Mazda 3's slush box at least lets you ride the limiter, unlike most of the units out there.
I think the car limits boost in first and second gears.
Thomas Smith
Bob Beamesderfer

Mako Koiwai wrote:Taking our S Plan Certificate to Alhambra Mazda to test drive a MazdaSpeed 3 ... front wheel drive ... even with LSD ... isn't going to allow one to put down all of that HP and, wow ... that's a lot of torque! And all we need is another 6 spd Mazda. :(
InsideLine doesn't entirely agree with you:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Dr ... eId=128908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although it's a 2008 model comparison.
Bob Beamesderfer

Thomas Smith wrote:
Bob Beamesderfer wrote: Unless it's equipped with an automatic transmission, I don't see how that would work. The Mazda 3's slush box at least lets you ride the limiter, unlike most of the units out there.
I think the car limits boost in first and second gears.

That's too bad.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

I drove a stock MS3 for an AX run a few months ago - I absolutely hated it. Way to much power for just the front wheels to handle. It sucked.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I believe the EVO does that also ... the WRX at least use to not pull full boost in first.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

MS3 is a great fun car for enthusiasts. You can get the groceries and go to track days and rule the canyons.

It cannot be made into a stock class autocrosser. End of story.

Building a 2007 NC MRS package clone would be the most competitive thing you could do.

The regular Mazda 3 in HS is good. But like Will found out with the Civie.... The mini's rule. End of story.

Boring for Annie probably has nothing to do with you guys. How many cars has she gone through????

I doubt you guys could go seriously wrong with an '09 WRX in DS. Hard to say if its the car to have or not. But I still think the 135i wins were more because of Beth's great driving. Seems pretty close and probably course dependent amongst old WRX's, new WRX's, 135's, Type-R's, R32's, etc.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Jason Isley BS RX8
Car#: 0

Post by Jason Isley BS RX8 »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Taking our S Plan Certificate to Alhambra Mazda to test drive a MazdaSpeed 3 ... front wheel drive ... even with LSD ... isn't going to allow one to put down all of that HP and, wow ... that's a lot of torque! And all we need is another 6 spd Mazda. :(

Anyone know if you can use the S Plan to buy used Mazda's ... like a 2007 MX-5 ?
S-plan does not work on Mazdaspeed vehicles, only standard Mazda products. However, with the economy you might get a good enough deal on one it wont make a difference.

RX-8s can be picked up very cheap. ;)
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

The 2008 WRX in the Edmund's comparison test is not compariable to the new WRX ... but ... the MS3 also beat the new WRX in the recent Car & Driver comparison test ... because it IS a more rounded car. As Max verified ... the FWD is IT'S Achilles heel. It was the same with Henry's Twin Charged Mini ... it's HP just overpowered the LSD. Fun on the street ... doesn't work on an AX course.

How's the new Cobalt? Karen has lots of GM credit card points. Is there a good aftermarket supply? Resell value is probably terrible.

It would be nice if the SCCA had a Cost Index. Sure you can run your 996 GT3 or BMW 135i ... but for every $5K above X, you are handicapped by 0.00X :D
Jason Isley BS RX8

Mako Koiwai wrote: How's the new Cobalt? Karen has lots of GM credit card points. Is there a good aftermarket supply? Resell value is probably terrible.

It would be nice if the SCCA had a Cost Index. Sure you can run your 996 GT3 or BMW 135i ... but for every $5K above X, you are handicapped by 0.00X :D
A nearly stock DS Cobalt SS was 3rd at natls, and won the ProSolo finale.

Will your cost index fix driver ability, or more importantly, lack of? :lol:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

I forgot about the Cobalt SS. That's probably your best bang for the buck right now.
Its obviously competitive. And the NW boys said it made a good street car.
Isn't GM paying you to take cars off their lots right now???
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Bob Beamesderfer

Mako Koiwai wrote:The 2008 WRX in the Edmund's comparison test is not compariable to the new WRX ... but ... the MS3 also beat the new WRX in the recent Car & Driver comparison test ... because it IS a more rounded car. As Max verified ... the FWD is IT'S Achilles heel. It was the same with Henry's Twin Charged Mini ... it's HP just overpowered the LSD. Fun on the street ... doesn't work on an AX course.
I can see that the FWD ruins it for autocross; and yeah, I know the 08 WRX was a pig. I drove it on a small autox course in 2007 and didn't like it at all. An 09 WRX looks like the ticket.

Oh yeah, the Cobalt SS. Zero % GMAC financing, thanks to Detroit's new sugar daddy, Trea Dep.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Yeah ... Gary :king: JUST was able to win SS WITH a GT3 ... I know, I know .... :(
Casey Brier
Car#: 806

Post by Casey Brier »

Mako Koiwai wrote:

I duno why, I just love the way cars look in a garage. :)

"cars...you spend money you don't have, to buy the parts you don't need, to impress the people you don't like....."
Leonard Cachola
Novice Coordinator
Car#: 82

Post by Leonard Cachola »

Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:RX-8s can be picked up very cheap. ;)
I've been looking at those, too. What gives me pause is the cost of repairs on one when things go wrong, especially when compared to a Honda S2000 or a Miata. Might as well be driving an exotic! :unimpressed:
~Leonard Cachola
#82 CS, CSCC Solo Novice Coordinator
Pat O\'Neal
Club: TCC

Post by Pat O\'Neal »

Just to clarify about the Mazda S-Plan: it is now open to everybody (with Mazdaspeed member referral) and there are no restrictions on which car you buy. Meaning, Mazdaspeed 3s and 6s are also eligible. There was no termination date specified in the email I received on 12/4/08. I tried calling their phone number but they are closed today, apparently. According to that email:
You already know that being a member of MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development gives you the inside line on special parts pricing for your Mazda or Mazda-powered racecar, but did you know that special Mazda S-Plan "no hassle" pricing is available to you on the purchase of any new Mazda as well?
But best of all, this offer isn't just for you. As one of over 8,000 MAZDASPEED Motorsports Development team members, you have the power to share this offer with friends and family who may be considering the purchase of a new car or SUV.
If anyone wishes, I'd be happy to pass on an S-Plan PIN. Here is the product eligibility page.

Pat.
Jason Isley BS RX8

Leonard Cachola wrote:
Jason Isley BS RX8 wrote:RX-8s can be picked up very cheap. ;)
I've been looking at those, too. What gives me pause is the cost of repairs on one when things go wrong, especially when compared to a Honda S2000 or a Miata. Might as well be driving an exotic! :unimpressed:
Depending on the year you get they have a 50k mile or 36k mile bumper to bumper warranty. They all get a 60k mile power train warranty, and 100k mile engine warranty. You can also buy OE parts at deep discount from the Mazda competition parts dept. imho this is not a car with a high cost of ownership.

It is also very easy on tires, and cheap to setup for B Stock.