November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Mako Koiwai
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 34

Re: November 14 Novice Solo School Posted

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Broken in? Break it in like you're going to drive it. Rad's Ferrari had something like 600 miles on it. Hi's Cayman ... couldn't have had much more. :-) I thought the Shelby Mustang WAS broken in?!

Rental ... NICE! .... lots of great choices at Beverly Hills Budget! Live a Little! My mechanic use to rent a Maserati for the weekend ... that allowed the odo to be spun backwards. Probably can't do that on newer cars.
Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Broken in? Break it in like you're going to drive it. Rad's Ferrari had something like 600 miles on it. Hi's Cayman ... couldn't have had much more. :-) I thought the Shelby Mustang WAS broken in?!
I'm buying this one, not leasing it, so it's gonna be babied bigtime.
Mako Koiwai wrote:Rental ... NICE! .... lots of great choices at Beverly Hills Budget! Live a Little! My mechanic use to rent a Maserati for the weekend ... that allowed the odo to be spun backwards. Probably can't do that on newer cars.
LOL I used to do that to my 2002 in high school when my parents went out of town and told me not to drive out of town. Put that baby on jackstands and let 'er run in reverse.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Marshall Grice
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

Kurt Rahn wrote: I'm buying this one, not leasing it, so it's gonna be babied bigtime.
you bought a mustang? i thought that was on the not approved list?
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Marshall Grice wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote: I'm buying this one, not leasing it, so it's gonna be babied bigtime.
you bought a mustang? i thought that was on the not approved list?
Nope...it falls into the wife's non-approved "phallic extension" category. Unless something unexpected happens, I'm getting a Mini.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I remember reading a Road & Track article about the Mini's when they first came out. The esteemed columnist said he actually preferred the regular Mini over the S model, because you could drive it pretty much flat out everywhere, all of the time while the S required restraint - on the street.
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Mako Koiwai wrote:...while the S required restraint - on the street.
And a constant stream of R compounds on the autox course. ;)
Marshall Grice
Car#: 11

Post by Marshall Grice »

so what's up with big guys buying mini's?

buy a tire mounting machine, you'll have it paid off in a year.
Tom Berry
Car#: 72

Post by Tom Berry »

Mako Koiwai wrote:Broken in? Break it in like you're going to drive it. Rad's Ferrari had something like 600 miles on it. Hi's Cayman ... couldn't have had much more. :-) I thought the Shelby Mustang WAS broken in?!

Rental ... NICE! .... lots of great choices at Beverly Hills Budget! Live a Little! My mechanic use to rent a Maserati for the weekend ... that allowed the odo to be spun backwards. Probably can't do that on newer cars.
The first time I drove Rad's Fiat, it had 440 miles on it!
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

I thought so ... but THAT sounded too ... Rad
Charley Hoyt

Re: November 14 - 15, 2009 Novice School

Post by Charley Hoyt »

My check is in the mail....I'm feeling faster already :D
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Mako Koiwai wrote:...while the S required restraint - on the street.
And a constant stream of R compounds on the autox course. ;)
That's why I'm running it in SK2. Adrian's street tires seem to hold up pretty well. By the time I graduate to R comps, I'll be driving something else (for autocross, anyway).
==============
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Mako Koiwai wrote:I remember reading a Road & Track article about the Mini's when they first came out. The esteemed columnist said he actually preferred the regular Mini over the S model, because you could drive it pretty much flat out everywhere, all of the time while the S required restraint - on the street.
IMHO, cars that don't require "restraint" are easy to drive, as you don't have to learn any throttle modulation or use the brakes as efficiently, just pin the throttle and turn.

If you want to experience a car that requires restraint, you should drive the whale. You even think about gasoline and the back tires break loose. It's been a challenge to learn to drive fast without overcooking it out of corners, but I've learned a lot. Hopefully that'll translate to Phase II of my driving education.
==============
Ernest Limbo

Post by Ernest Limbo »

Now you'll just smoke SK2 with that better car. I'm glad you're staying in the class, though.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Ernest Limbo wrote:Now you'll just smoke SK2 with that better car. I'm glad you're staying in the class, though.
I don't know. The G35 was not as bad as you might imagine. If I'd built it out (Koni Yellows, FSB, catback, 275 tires) I think it could've been competitive locally. Plus the local SK2 competition has some great drivers, between you and your bro, Adrian and Leonard.
==============
Adrian Covert
Car#: 127

Post by Adrian Covert »

Ernest Limbo wrote:Now you'll just smoke SK2 with that better car. I'm glad you're staying in the class, though.
We'll have to see about that now...
}:)
Mako Koiwai

Post by Mako Koiwai »

How about a used "proper" sports car, ie. used S2000
Pete Loney
Car#: 777

Post by Pete Loney »

Mako Koiwai wrote:How about a used "proper" sports car, ie. used S2000
Big guy in little car still... Probably worse off in an S2000 versus the Mini. If David Webb can race a mini.....
2021 Season: 777 ES | 1999 Miata, 10th Anniversary #3987/7500
MIATAROADSTER.COM
Aaron Goldsmith
Car#: 32

Post by Aaron Goldsmith »

S2k is the poster-car for a "shorter folks only" car. Don't even fit in the passenger seat without the top down and knee bruising.
Ernest Limbo

Post by Ernest Limbo »

Adrian Covert wrote:
We'll have to see about that now...
}:)
I can't count you and Leonard out. It should be fun next year.
Ernest Limbo

Post by Ernest Limbo »

Aaron Goldsmith wrote:
S2k is the poster-car for a "shorter folks only" car. Don't even fit in the passenger seat without the top down and knee bruising.
I'm still too small for an S2k :(
Collin Webster
Car#: 901

Post by Collin Webster »

My application is in the mail, as is my wife's. She's done ride alongs with me and has been interested for a while, but always intimidated. I finally got her to agree to sign up for this event, and now, she's even a bit excited. Excited enough she'll let me buy stickier tires for her car before the event :thumbup:

The only bummer in this whole thing is the lottery system if you get to many applications... that means she may get in and not me, or vice versa. We played by the rules and didn't stick both entries in one envelope, but it'll be a total bummer if we don't get to go together. She can always attend the ladies school in late November, but me... not without some surgical enhancements/modifications/deletions and a good wig. :gpower:

Cheers,

Collin Webster
'06 Mazda MX-5 Miata - STR Starting Point
'08 MazdaSpeed 3 STU - FWD basket case
- The loosest nut in my cars is still the one behind the wheel.
Lily Liu
Car#: 353

Post by Lily Liu »

Collin Webster wrote: She's done ride alongs with me and has been interested for a while, but always intimidated. I finally got her to agree to sign up for this event, and now, she's even a bit excited. Excited enough she'll let me buy stickier tires for her car before the event :thumbup:
If you guys will be available, you should also get her signed up for Ladies' school during Thanksgiving weekend. I'm sure the details will be out within the next few weeks but basically it's all female instructors and female students while the guys get to pick up the cones :thumbup:
~Lily
Collin Webster
Car#: 901

Post by Collin Webster »

Lily Liu wrote:
Collin Webster wrote: She's done ride alongs with me and has been interested for a while, but always intimidated. I finally got her to agree to sign up for this event, and now, she's even a bit excited. Excited enough she'll let me buy stickier tires for her car before the event :thumbup:
If you guys will be available, you should also get her signed up for Ladies' school during Thanksgiving weekend. I'm sure the details will be out within the next few weeks but basically it's all female instructors and female students while the guys get to pick up the cones :thumbup:

If I can't get her into this event, she's going to that one for sure. If she likes this event, maybe she'll do both! Either way, I'd happily shag cones for her all day long!
'06 Mazda MX-5 Miata - STR Starting Point
'08 MazdaSpeed 3 STU - FWD basket case
- The loosest nut in my cars is still the one behind the wheel.
Daryl Slawnikowski
Club: PSCC
Car#: 156

Post by Daryl Slawnikowski »

Check Sent today for Ozzie Slawnikowski and OUR Scirocco.

I know the cost is great but we still don't have both cars ready and set up yet. Green Rocco will be the one that shows up, White Rocco still on the blocks.
What is the situation for family SCCA members attending to watch any way, but being able to sit in on the class room parts of it. No extra paper booklets or food. Just going to be there and would like to listen in.

Who is the FWD ( trainer ).

GOAL: To get Ozzie to the point where HE CAN BEAT THAT OTHER #99 FSP SCIROCCO!!!!!!! lol
Lisa Severy

Confirmed Instructors for the Solo School

Post by Lisa Severy »

In no particular order. These instructors are top talent with experience teaching. This list includes multiple regional and national champions. Most are individuals on the list are multiple champions at multiple levels! This is a very distinguished list and I thank them all for volunteering to support the school!

1. Tom Berry
2. KJ Christopher
3. Max Hayter
4. Steve Abbott
5. Leonard Cachola
6. Henry Bjoin
7. Eric Clements
8. Bill Chin
9. Kyle Williams
10. Sebastian Rios
11. Steve Towers
12. Jason Isley