General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Re: classes

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

A major part of it is the car isn't up to the potential of BSP, so you get hit with an bad index. Probably several seconds there. And most of us improved 10 seconds or so in driving skill from absolute beginners to grizzled national level veterans. Take 5 seconds off for car and 10 seconds off for driving experience/skill and see where you would have been. I spent a lot of years running a Dodge Dakota club cab luxo version on 300 tread wear M&S rated tires. Or a Dodge Intrepid ES on all season tires. Never saw any of the top half of pax with those cars.

Just looked. 15 seconds off of your 66.1 would have placed you 3rd in overall pax ahead of some of the most feared drivers in the whole country in the best prepped cars possible. So, you're probably doing far far better than the average freshly addicted noob.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Kris Cho
Club: TCC
Car#: 214

Post by Kris Cho »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:A major part of it is the car isn't up to the potential of BSP, so you get hit with an bad index. Probably several seconds there. And most of us improved 10 seconds or so in driving skill from absolute beginners to grizzled national level veterans. Take 5 seconds off for car and 10 seconds off for driving experience/skill and see where you would have been. I spent a lot of years running a Dodge Dakota club cab luxo version on 300 tread wear M&S rated tires. Or a Dodge Intrepid ES on all season tires. Never saw any of the top half of pax with those cars.

Just looked. 15 seconds off of your 66.1 would have placed you 3rd in overall pax ahead of some of the most feared drivers in the whole country in the best prepped cars possible. So, you're probably doing far far better than the average freshly addicted noob.
:) thanks for kind words. i see a ray of hope now :mrgreen:
Are you going to any events this month or next month?
05 350z Performance
Will Kalman
Club: PSCC
Car#: 232

Post by Will Kalman »

Kris Cho wrote:thanks steve and QV.
man...i placed 124 out of 132 in PAX thing. :oops: umbarrasment :unimpressed: i never ran this bad when i was in track n field, 100m sprint, in high school lol
Gotta work harder
Hey, at least you beat my 8-year-old daughter....barely. }:)

This is a great mental sport and once the hook is set and you start to see more and more improvement, you'll shoot right up the ranks. And by making the driver faster, you'll make every car you ever own faster. Welcome!
Mike Simanyi
Former Club Chair
Club: No$
Car#: 6

Post by Mike Simanyi »

Will Kalman wrote:This is a great mental sport and once the hook is set and you start to see more and more improvement, you'll shoot right up the ranks. And by making the driver faster, you'll make every car you ever own faster. Welcome!
And what's really cool is you have all these milestones to measure yourself against. I remember how excited I was the first time I was in the top half of the field, how jazzed I was the first time I PAXED in the top 50, then the top 20... and finally in the top 10. I've had a couple #1 PAXes now, and those honestly aren't as rewarding as the other notches in the belt.

This is something you can do for 10+ years and still feel like you're learning something new at every event.

Will is right. It's a *completely* mental sport. The fact that it gets your adrenaline pumping like nothing else on earth is just an added benefit.

Welcome Kris!

Mike
Ron Tsumura
Club: GRA
Car#: 190

Post by Ron Tsumura »

Steve Ekstrand wrote:A major part of it is the car isn't up to the potential of BSP, so you get hit with an bad index. Probably several seconds there. And most of us improved 10 seconds or so in driving skill from absolute beginners to grizzled national level veterans. Take 5 seconds off for car and 10 seconds off for driving experience/skill and see where you would have been. I spent a lot of years running a Dodge Dakota club cab luxo version on 300 tread wear M&S rated tires. Or a Dodge Intrepid ES on all season tires. Never saw any of the top half of pax with those cars.

Just curious to know what tires you were running?
A fresh set of A6s or V710s will cover a multitude of sins as well as shave two seconds off your time. :thumbup:
(when compared to street tires)
Arthur Grant
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Will is right. It's a *completely* mental sport. The fact that it gets your adrenaline pumping like nothing else on earth is just an added benefit.

I think the average fighter pilot would say his 60 seconds are more intersting than ours, just saying since I am surrounded by so many of them. But I would agree its about as much fun as you can have without a 5 figure fuel bill.
Last edited by Arthur Grant on Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Ron Tsumura wrote:

Just curious to know what tires you were running?
A fresh set of A6s or V710s will cover a multitude of sins as well as shave two seconds off your time. :thumbup:
(when compared to street tires)
my tires? i run Dunlop what ever came from factory. 225/45/18 with both inner and outer tire wear. Rear, i got Nitto invo 245/45/18
i found a real good deal on Continental contiextreme 255/40/18. But one tire is almost brand new one other tire has camber wear and used for about year. (seller says the car was used weekly)
Should i get them? i don't wanna see decrease in performance because of using tires that have two different tread life on them.
Attachments
new
new
46f83b2f.jpg (219.71 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
used
used
543ac661.jpg (197.16 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
used
used
51ad3c6f.jpg (172.17 KiB) Viewed 6981 times
Last edited by Kris Cho on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
05 350z Performance
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Mike Simanyi wrote:
Will Kalman wrote:This is a great mental sport and once the hook is set and you start to see more and more improvement, you'll shoot right up the ranks. And by making the driver faster, you'll make every car you ever own faster. Welcome!
And what's really cool is you have all these milestones to measure yourself against. I remember how excited I was the first time I was in the top half of the field, how jazzed I was the first time I PAXED in the top 50, then the top 20... and finally in the top 10. I've had a couple #1 PAXes now, and those honestly aren't as rewarding as the other notches in the belt.

This is something you can do for 10+ years and still feel like you're learning something new at every event.

Welcome Kris!

Mike
i've played golf, and was in track & field, although i was average player :oops: . So i think i can handle mental sports lol i actually sometimes love my heart pumping so hard because of nervousness...only when i''m not around people where they can see nervousness in my face lol
05 350z Performance
Kristoffer Gjevre

Post by Kristoffer Gjevre »

Kris Cho wrote: ...
What is up with the cracks in the rubber on that tire... looks old... possibly dead too...
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

the seller did notice the cracks too. He's not sure but saying it might be from sitting in the garage for too long. These tires came with the used wheels he bought, so not sure how many milege. My dunlop tires show similar cracks like that after autox..but not this bad
05 350z Performance
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Put those tires on your car and you may not pass tech. More importantly those tires are shot and you won't get good grip.

Have you checked out link to Tire Rack. Yeah there a sponsor but the prices are good. Take a look at a new set. We can argue all day about which tire, I like my Kumho XS but there are plenty of others.

Bottom line, you can have the hotest engine in the world, the trickest suspension, but the only touching the ground and making the car go and turn are the tires, If you cheap out there you've lost.
Kurt Rahn
Car#: 88

Post by Kurt Rahn »

The biggest single upgrade you can make to a car is the tires.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Steve Towers
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

by Kurt Rahn on 19 Jan 2011 09:00
Or, as in my case, a driver changeout. :(
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

Kurt Rahn wrote:The biggest single upgrade you can make to a car is the tires.
You mean the biggest 4 upgrades, hee hee.
George Schilling
Club Representative
Car#: 66

Post by George Schilling »

Steve Towers wrote:
by Kurt Rahn on 19 Jan 2011 09:00
Or, as in my case, a driver changeout. :(

I feel your pain Steve! :lol:
CASOC Autocross Club, 1984 Van Diemen RF-84, 1600cc Kent, Hewland Mk9, Centerline 2 pc. wheels, Hoosier R25B, SuperTrapp, Zimmer Alloclassic titanium left hip w/Metasul LDH chromium-cobalt lg dia head
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

But they should be quality tires. I assume Kris knows how to look at a tire and determine it's build date. That one tire is really badly cracked.
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Post by Max Hayter »

Kris, I would search out Leanard Baptiste at the next event. He has the best 350z on street tires in our region. I'm sure he could give you some good advice.
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Max Hayter wrote:Kris, I would search out Leanard Baptiste at the next event. He has the best 350z on street tires in our region. I'm sure he could give you some good advice.
Is he a member here?
I saw a 07 or 08 silverstone 350z at the last meet in the grid at like 1:30 pm
05 350z Performance
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

Arthur Grant wrote:
But they should be quality tires. I assume Kris knows how to look at a tire and determine it's build date. That one tire is really badly cracked.
don't assume lol i don't know how to read the date. I just look at tire treads and the surface of the treads and when the seller purchased them.
I'm debating whether i should get a used pair of tires or used 17" rims with tires. They cost similar if i luck out. i was planning to get 17" extra rims for drifting so...yh....and the tires are cheaper on 17" :).
05 350z Performance
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Kris Cho wrote: Is he a member here?
I saw a 07 or 08 silverstone 350z at the last meet in the grid at like 1:30 pm
Yes, and that's him.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
KJ Christopher
Executive Board Member
Car#: 11

Post by KJ Christopher »

Kris Cho wrote:I'm debating whether i should get a used pair of tires or used 17" rims with tires.
What size do you need? Personally, I'd save for a new set. Hankook RS3s are pretty good and last all year if you're not drifting....
kj
Use the email link. I don't read nor get notified of PMs.
Former No$ Club Rep | Former SCCA Area 11 Director |Former CSCC Solo Chair
Caged Z Motorsports - automotive consultation
The ACME Special Now with Super Speed Vitamins
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

KJ Christopher wrote:
Kris Cho wrote:I'm debating whether i should get a used pair of tires or used 17" rims with tires.
What size do you need? Personally, I'd save for a new set. Hankook RS3s are pretty good and last all year if you're not drifting....
For the rims, i'm looking for 17x 9 or higher with any tires slapped on. i found a set of 17" rims with tires for like $120 couple weeks ago but they are gone.. :x should've bought them.
If i decided to just get a pair of used tires, then 235/45/18 or 245/45/18
05 350z Performance
Max Hayter

Post by Max Hayter »

Used tires are going to suck.

New RS3 or Dunlop SS Z1's if you actually want to go fast.
~Max H.

#31 SSC
Kris Cho

Post by Kris Cho »

does any of you have a 9/16" drill bit with drill or 9/16" drill bit for a rotary tool or stepless drill bit that i can use??
Im making a camera mount for in car footage. I gotta make 2 holes on 1/16" thick aluminum bar.
Thanks.
05 350z Performance
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Post by Rick Brown »

Kris Cho wrote:does any of you have a 9/16" drill bit with drill or 9/16" drill bit for a rotary tool or stepless drill bit that i can use??
Im making a camera mount for in car footage. I gotta make 2 holes on 1/16" thick aluminum bar.
Thanks.
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... step+drill" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Work great, well worth the money.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...