March 1-2 El Toro Videos & Photos

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Christine Grice
King of Fastrack!
Club: CASOC
Car#: 17

Re: March 1-2 El Toro Videos & Photos

Post by Christine Grice »

Will Kalman wrote:
KJ Christopher wrote:
Steve Ekstrand wrote: Felt really good. Have no idea where to find the two seconds I need to just be in the hunt.
Don't you and will collect data to compare?
It says "go faster, Steve". There just isn't an "a-ha" point in most cases and the time-slip function is almost a straight ramp. It comes down to setup for the corner and at-the-limit dynamic weight management through the turn, which you just don't see in the data. Steve being a mid-packer at Nationals peeking into trophy territory, he's not making gross mistakes that show up easily.
That sounds familiar. We call it "Constant slope". I fight constant slope at every event. It's a result of the small differences in the speed plot. If you are slow getting on the gas, that delay adds up. If you brake just ever so slightly too much, you never gain that speed back. If you chicken out and give it a small lift of the throttle where everyone else in the car is foot to the floor, that puts you even farther behind (aka chicken lift).
~Christine Grice
2006 Mitsubishi Evolution, Berry Family Racing/Hoosier/ChaseCam
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Since we're on the subject, here's a bit of shameless promotion of my app, RaceTrace.

The data below is for the two laps that I linked videos of at the beginning of this post. The purple graph is me, the green graph is Jeff C. The data was collected using a Bad Elf GPS device at 5Hz (http://amzn.to/151wFW0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) and then loaded into the app later.

It's a lot of data to take in for someone who hasn't looked at a graph like this, but once you get the hang of it there are all kinds of interesting things to see.

Here's a quick description of what the graph is showing:
  • The blue outline in the background is the course. This is a screen capture of an iPad, if you were zoom in or pan the graph left or right, the part of the graph that is visible on the screen would remain blue, while the rest of the track would be drawn gray. This screenshot shows the entire lap, so it is all blue.
  • The orange reference line drawn on the map (top middle-ish) corresponds to orange vertical line on the graph (off center to the left). This makes it easier to line up a particular part of the graph you want to see. The numerical values at the bottom of the orange line are the values of each graph at that point.
  • The bolder purple and green lines are the graphs of the speed vs. distance**. The y axis is labeled on the left for these graphs.
  • The other green line (with the faint green fill) is a "time gap" or "time slip" graph. It shows how far ahead (negative values) or behind (positive values) Jeff C's lap is compared to mine over the course of the run. The y axis is labeled on the right for this graph
What conclusions can you draw from this data???

**This graph isn't actually Speed vs. Distance, but instead Speed vs. "The Track". This is a new feature we're working on right now. The downside of a Speed vs. Distance graph is that if the drivers run different lines through a corner, they often end up traveling different distances, which causes the graphs to be offset to each other.

Last edited by Jeff Stuart on Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sean Fenstermacher
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 81

Post by Sean Fenstermacher »

Hey Jeff!

We used your app at the last event and I really like it.
Is there a way to export data to compare laps with another user?

Please PM me when you get a chance. Thanks!!
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

That app looks awesome; when can I get an Android port :computer:
#49 STX Mazda RX-8
Jeff Stuart
King of Fastrack!
Car#: 13

Post by Jeff Stuart »

Adam Tarnoff wrote:That app looks awesome; when can I get an Android port :computer:
Probably not in the near future, we're working hard on adding features to the iPhone version. I wish it were easy to port an app to Android, but in reality, you basically have to start from scratch. In most cases, there's not much that transfers over other than graphic assets and design decisions.
Adam Tarnoff
Car#: 49

Post by Adam Tarnoff »

Jeff Stuart wrote:
Adam Tarnoff wrote:That app looks awesome; when can I get an Android port :computer:
Probably not in the near future, we're working hard on adding features to the iPhone version. I wish it were easy to port an app to Android, but in reality, you basically have to start from scratch. In most cases, there's not much that transfers over other than graphic assets and design decisions.

I might just pick up a used ipod touch for this app; it looks really good and the data is easy to make sense of.
#49 STX Mazda RX-8