November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

For coordinating upcoming events and remembering past ones.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Christine Grice, Rick Brown

Kurt Rahn
Club: CASOC
Car#: 88

Re: Confirmed Entrants for the Solo School

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Glad you posted that! From the description, it sounded like the whole thing was a lottery.
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Jonathan Lugod
King of Fastrack!
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 194

Re: Confirmed Instructors for the Solo School

Post by Jonathan Lugod »

any room for more? id be glad to help out ;)
http://www.osgiken.net
4 BSP- 2019 Mazda ND Miata - 2001 SSM Honda S2000
OS Giken / Bride / ShaftWorks USA
Lisa Severy

Re: Confirmed Instructors for the Solo School

Post by Lisa Severy »

Hi Jonathan,
Thank you for the offer, but I have enough instructors now. Have a great weekend!
Lisa
Bill Schenker
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 14

Post by Bill Schenker »

Where are all the entrants! :shock: Looks like we have a 4 to 1 ration right now; 4 instructors to 1 student!!! :shock:

Come on folks, Lisa puts on a GREAT school! :gpower: This is a waaayyyy bigger bang-for-the-buck than a practice.
MiataRoadster/OS Giken/ChaseCam/
2001 Mazda Miata
#14 DP
Daryl Slawnikowski
Club: PSCC
Car#: 156

Post by Daryl Slawnikowski »

Check for Ozzie and the Scirocco went out yesterday.
Kurt Rahn

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Daryl Slawnikowski wrote:Check for Ozzie and the Scirocco went out yesterday.
Ditto. I'm really looking forward to getting instruction from some of the folks I don't normally at practices, or who are busy working on setup and I don't want to bother. :gpower:
==============
Oversteer is better than understeer because you don't see the tree you're hitting.
Lisa Severy

Clarification for Solo School Entry Process

Post by Lisa Severy »

Just for complete clarity: Entries are taken on a first received/first in basis. The "random drawing" I mention on the application will be for the last few spots (e.g. I have four spaces let and I get six more entries that day in the mail. I would pick four from the six. Any entries received after that would not be included). I would appreciate that if you want to attend the school, that you get your entries in ASAP. If you know people who want to attend the school, please encourage them to get their applications in. I will be traveling a lot on business before the school and I would like to get everything "squared away" sooner, rather than later. Plus, if you have an instructor preference, you have a better chance of being matched with the one you want by submitting you application early! Thank you!
Max Hayter
Car#: 31

Re: Clarification for Solo School Entry Process

Post by Max Hayter »

Do you really only have seven students so far?
~Max H.

Gearhead's Garage/FRSport

#31 SSC
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Yes. Really only seven. A bit concerned, actually.
Philip Strong

Post by Philip Strong »

My son Bret and I are both interested - but we only have 1 Miata between us. I have considered renting a car for myself, but I would like something similar to the Miata. Would anybody be interested in renting out a Miata for the day? I will pay reasonable to generous rental rates, indemnify against any damage, and supply my own wheels and tires (4 x 100, 14"). Otherwise, I may have to go for Hertz's ZHZ Corvette...

We will be sending in our registration on Monday.
Last edited by Philip Strong on Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Towers
Club: No$
Car#: 87

Post by Steve Towers »

Lisa,

Maybe the school should be posted on the PCA forum.

Steve
Henry Bjoin
Club: GRA
Car#: 91

Post by Henry Bjoin »

My son Nick is signing up
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Philip Strong wrote:My son Bret and I are both interested - but we only have 1 Miata between us.
For most schools one car for two drivers is OK. I'll let Lisa chime in to be sure but as long as you and your son are put in different run groups it shouldn't be a problem to share a car.
Philip Strong

Post by Philip Strong »

On the entry form it says not allowed....
Eric Clements
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 30

Post by Eric Clements »

Philip Strong wrote:On the entry form it says not allowed....
Oh, Sorry, guess I haven't done enough local schools. At Evolution we don't have any problems with multi driver cars (especially if they're cool cars, multi driver Arial Atom :thumbup: :thumbup: )
Robyn Todd

Post by Robyn Todd »

This is an an odd question, but I desperately want to sign up for the school and am out of checks; they won't arrive in the mail from the bank for another couple of weeks. Is there another way to pay before the class fills up? :oops:

Thanks!
Giovanni Jaramillo

Post by Giovanni Jaramillo »

Robyn Todd wrote:This is an an odd question, but I desperately want to sign up for the school and am out of checks; they won't arrive in the mail from the bank for another couple of weeks. Is there another way to pay before the class fills up? :oops:

Thanks!
Money order, cashier's check, certified bank check.
Lisa Severy

Post by Lisa Severy »

Regarding the sharing of cars: The reason why we can't really support two people sharing a car is the way I have the morning exercises set up. Although one group will be working, the other three will be running - each at a different exercise. I am only allowing 30 minutes at each station and a bit of time for a quick "change over". This event is scheduled fairly tightly and I need everyone's cooperation and support in order to stick to the schedule. It is just not possible, even if both drivers stick with the same car through the same exercises, due to driver "changeover" time. Someone ends up feeling "cheated". In the afternoon, one group will be working and the other two groups will be running. I have tried to allow it before , but it really didn't work out. Seemed no one was happy despite the effort to be accommodating. Lesson learned for me. Thank you for your understanding on this topic.
Lisa Severy

"Novice Solo School" Becomes "Solo School"

Post by Lisa Severy »

Due to the low number of applications for the Novice Solo School (we were trying to encourage individuals with less than three years of autocross experience) we have decided to open up the school to anyone who would like instruction/coaching to help improve their driving skills, help get them over "the plateau", work on getting rid of a bad habit, get better acquainted with a new car, etc., regardless of the number of years of involvement. You can check out the list of instructors on a separate thread. The format and schedule for the school will not change, so those with less experience will still get all of the benefits. Pricing remains the same, as well. Entries are accepted on a first-received/first-in basis.
Mako Koiwai
Car#: 34

Re: "Novice Solo School" Becomes "Solo School"

Post by Mako Koiwai »

Where is this school being advertised?

Perhaps have an Instructors School, like PCA does ... 2 make sure all of the Instructors are on the same page.
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 15

Re: "Novice Solo School" Becomes "Solo School"

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

There is a same page?
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Tom Denham
Car#: 237

Re: November 14 Novice Solo School Posted

Post by Tom Denham »

Kurt Rahn wrote:
Ernest Limbo wrote:Now you'll just smoke SK2 with that better car. I'm glad you're staying in the class, though.
I don't know. The G35 was not as bad as you might imagine. If I'd built it out (Koni Yellows, FSB, catback, 275 tires) I think it could've been competitive locally. Plus the local SK2 competition has some great drivers, between you and your bro, Adrian and Leonard.

Kurt, Want a Codriver for SK2??? Next Year???? :P
Adalberto Amador

Re: November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

Post by Adalberto Amador »

Hi:
My name is Al. I am a noob. I am sending in my application Tommorrow, 21 Oct 09. I have a 95 miata...it has Yokohama s.drives...I checked the stock tires box, hope that doesn't cause any problems.
Kurt Rahn

Re: November 14 - 15, 2009 Solo School

Post by Kurt Rahn »

adalberto amador wrote:Hi:
My name is Al. I am a noob. I am sending in my application Tommorrow, 21 Oct 09. I have a 95 miata...it has Yokohama s.drives...I checked the stock tires box, hope that doesn't cause any problems.
Not at all! We have two "stock" classes which are only for street tires, plus a whole set of street touring classes that run on street tires. Plus, this is a school, so we're a lot more lenient on the normal classing rules. Welcome, and you should have a blast!
==============
Kurt Rahn

Re: November 14 Novice Solo School Posted

Post by Kurt Rahn »

Tom Denham wrote:Kurt, Want a Codriver for SK2??? Next Year???? :P
Dude, you've already rolled thru SK2 like a bowling ball in a supposedly uncompetitive understeering pig of a car. Giving you a car that's actually competitive would be suicide ;)
==============