i only have a rotary tool and don't wann a buy a drill lol
05 350z Performance
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: classes

Post by Rick Brown »

Kris Cho wrote:things is i don't have a drill.
i only have a rotary tool and don't wann a buy a drill lol
http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth ... -3670.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Arthur Grant
Club: TCC
Car#: 314

Post by Arthur Grant »

Kris Cho wrote:
Arthur Grant wrote:
Kurt Rahn wrote:The biggest single upgrade you can make to a car is the tires.
But they should be quality tires. I assume Kris knows how to look at a tire and determine it's build date. That one tire is really badly cracked.
don't assume lol i don't know how to read the date. I just look at tire treads and the surface of the treads and when the seller purchased them.
I'm debating whether i should get a used pair of tires or used 17" rims with tires. They cost similar if i luck out. i was planning to get 17" extra rims for drifting so...yh....and the tires are cheaper on 17" :).

If you can get extra rims do so, you will want race day tires. It took me 6 events to destroy a set of Kumho ECSTA's El Toro is 10 times harder on tires than ACS.

Here is how to tell the age of the tire:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/ ... ?techid=11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the example DOT U2LL LMLR 5107
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 Manufactured during the 51st week of the year
DOT U2LL LMLR 5107 Manufactured during 2007

At the end of the day there could be a huge amount of damage if a tire fails at speed in a sweeper. Used tires are one thing, you have to be cracked to take a nice car (ok any car) and put cracked tires on them. If you have been following the threads here from this weekends event you know a number of very well maintained cars suffered structural damage due to the bump and stress of the course. Your tires take the bulk of the stress. My 2 cents don't skimp on the rubber, and certainly don't by the tires in the picture. Assuming the guy is honest they are only on his car a year, I am betting they are over 5 years old. A never used tire over 7 years can fail at any moment. Been a topic for awhile, but the tire lobby in the US has kept us from following the UK and other European countries in outlawing the sale over a set # of years old.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Kris Cho wrote:does any of you have a 9/16" drill bit with drill or 9/16" drill bit for a rotary tool or stepless drill bit that i can use??
Im making a camera mount for in car footage. I gotta make 2 holes on 1/16" thick aluminum bar.
Thanks.

Yep, I live in Mission Viejo, you can borrow mine. You have my phone number from an earlier PM.

As for the rims an extra set or two is golden but overcome this any tire thought, you are going to cost yourself tons of money if you mix any tire and competition driving. Having said that when you look at wheels you need to look at size offset, diameter with the wheel on because you could be changing the gearing of your car. They ain't just wheels and tires.
Arthur Grant

Post by Arthur Grant »

Max Hayter wrote:Used tires are going to suck.

New RS3 or Dunlop SS Z1's if you actually want to go fast.
Kris, as an example if you had the 17 inch wheels (and that was a proper size for your car) there is a guy over in the for sale board that has a great deal on a pair of brand new tires.

Post a reply 7 posts • Page 1 of 1
Report this postReply with quote FS - (2) Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 245/45/17 - $225.00
by Craig Naylor on 16 Jul 2010 17:32

Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Spec 245/45/17

1yr old. Never used. (stickers still on them) Stored in black bags in garage closet.

Current price at Tirerack $149.00 (each) + shipping = $326.68

Asking $225.00

If you have the wheels you can get the buys. 245/45/17 is pretty common size as is 275/40/17 that I run.
Kris Cho
Car#: 214

Post by Kris Cho »

thanks arthur for always helping me out greatly on this forum :)
I just went and picked up a set of 350z 17" OEM wheels. !! The rear has good amount of treads and fronts have some tread left for racing.
He gave me a free pair of tires! Michelline sport(?) and Dunlop something.245/40/17. a lot of treads on them. :thumbup: i gotta look for used tires for michelline and dunlop to match.
For how much? $100 hell of a deal }:)

EDIT: arthur, i got your email but not your phone number :!:
05 350z Performance