New to AutoX

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Brandon Weiss

New to AutoX

Post by Brandon Weiss »

Hey Guys!

I’m new to the forums and AutoX and I’m eager to participate in any upcoming event. I drive a lightly modified Fiesta ST. Where should I begin, and when can I start driving?
Rick Brown
Current Solo Director
Club: PSCC
Car#: 240

Re: New to AutoX

Post by Rick Brown »

Brandon Weiss wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm Hey Guys!

I’m new to the forums and AutoX and I’m eager to participate in any upcoming event.
Welcome to the forum, Brandon.
I drive a lightly modified Fiesta ST.
Fun car for autocross!
Where should I begin, and when can I start driving?
If you haven't already, read the info here: New to the Sport FAQ. Some minor things slightly out of date, but useful overall.

Pretty much all you need to do to start driving is show up at an event, listed on solo2.motorsportreg.com. Next one is listed here: November 9-10 Event. First couple of pages have details on what to do, there are really two events, a practice on Saturday and a Championship on Sunday. If you have the time you can just hang out on Saturday to see how things work and get rides with competitors, it's free to do that. Sunday, while a Championship for points is also geared to introduce new people to autocross with a guided course walk and instructors available.

Tell us the details about your car mods and we can give you classing information.
Since light is faster than sound...many people look bright until they speak...
Bill Martin
Club: GRA
Car#: 74

Post by Bill Martin »

What mods on the FiST, Brandon? I have one myself, but am autoxing something else currently.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Brandon Weiss wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:12 pm Hey Guys!

I’m new to the forums and AutoX and I’m eager to participate in any upcoming event. I drive a lightly modified Fiesta ST. Where should I begin, and when can I start driving?
The Fiesta ST in its stock-ish form is in HS (16x7 wheels, non-lowered suspension, etc.). However pretty much any of the popular mods (motor mount, short shifter, accessport, etc.) will throw you into the Street Touring/Street Prepared classes. List your mods here and we can determine where you should be. If you're out of HS my recommendation would be to just run in our catch-all CST class. The Fiesta is an awesome car to start in and will teach you some good FWD habits!

Try and make it out to our November event at Autoclub Speedway. Sunday is the easy and cheaper way to get a taste but Saturday will provide the opportunity to get a ton of ride-alongs in addition to more runs. Free instruction will be available both days so just go with whatever works for your schedule!