New to Autocross

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Freddy Ho

New to Autocross

Post by Freddy Ho »

Hi all!
Newbie checking in~
I'm looking for cheap fun way to do with my car, so I thought I'd give autox a try.

I'm looking to register for the event on Feb.8 (Sun). Some questions I have:
- What Class? 99 miata. Aluminum radiator & intake by previous owner. Anything else I think it's stock.
- What time to show up? (Sorry I checked the schedule but is a bit confuse for new comer)
- Course work: Do new comer needs to work? If so, how do I sign up and what I need to be prepared?

Thanks!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX
Car#: 30

Re: New to Autocross

Post by Anthony P. »

Freddy Ho wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:20 pm Hi all!
Newbie checking in~
I'm looking for cheap fun way to do with my car, so I thought I'd give autox a try.
Welcome!
Freddy Ho wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:20 pm I'm looking to register for the event on Feb.8 (Sun). Some questions I have:
- What Class? 99 miata. Aluminum radiator & intake by previous owner. Anything else I think it's stock.
- What time to show up? (Sorry I checked the schedule but is a bit confuse for new comer)
- Course work: Do new comer needs to work? If so, how do I sign up and what I need to be prepared?

Thanks!
1) ES also known a E-Street

2) I like to show up at 7am, walk course once, check in at registration and tech my car, then take advantage of our guided course walk with Leonard Cachola which starts at 8am.

3) After you check in at registration, there is a sign up for work. Just tell Mike you are new and they will place you accordingly. After the drivers meeting around 8:30 Randy will give a short introduction to working course.
Freddy Ho

Post by Freddy Ho »

thanks a lot!
Randy Gonzalez
Current Solo Director
Club: CASOC
Car#: 436

Post by Randy Gonzalez »

Welcome Freddy!

Make sure you let us know it's your first time. We have lots of friendly folks that are very happy to help new folks join in on the fun. Also, just FYI, if we have enough interest, we'll typically try to do a free Fun Run session after the regular event ends on Sundays. No cost for event drivers to participate, all we ask is that you stay after and help us pack up the motorhome (usually takes less than 15 mins). It's a great way to get some more seat time.

In addition, during the regular event, we have dedicated instructors available (no charge). Just pull your car into the Instructor line (yellow signs in grid) and an expert autocrosser will be happy to help you get around the course those first few laps. Highly recommended (and not just for new folks, we have long time regulars take advantage of the instructors all the time).

Be sure and introduce yourself and we'll see you out there! :thumbup:
SCCA Certifications: Solo Safety Steward, Flagging and Communications
http://CorvetteNews.com/
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

Dive in Freddy and Welcome! Like they all said let people know you're new. Lots of people to help, not just our officials but all of our regulars are very helpful. We are a community that wants to share driver development and fun times. That drives everything we do. Look forward to meeting you. Our whole family will be out there on Sunday.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
Freddy Ho

Post by Freddy Ho »

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes. I'll definitely will need a lot of help.

Looking forward to have some fun!!!
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Freddy Ho wrote: Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:00 pm Thanks so much for the warm welcomes. I'll definitely will need a lot of help.

Looking forward to have some fun!!!
Welcome! Come find the rest of the E-Street peeps, myself and Dennis (in a silver MR2), and Pete in a Blue 10AE NB. We'll be happy to help you get situated in the sport. We know your car very well. Strictly speaking, intake and aluminum radiator take you out of E Street but don't worry about it for local events.
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage
Freddy Ho

Post by Freddy Ho »

Thanks Ed.

All the mods are done by previous owner, there may be more things done to my car (and I’m not knowledgeable enough to tell). So I certainly will need some help classing my car.

Anyhow looking forward to meeting everyone
Ed T
Current Solo Director
Car#: 711

Post by Ed T »

Freddy Ho wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:31 am Thanks Ed.

All the mods are done by previous owner, there may be more things done to my car (and I’m not knowledgeable enough to tell). So I certainly will need some help classing my car.

Anyhow looking forward to meeting everyone
Cool, I'm looking forward to meeting you! The NB is one of the perfect cars to get started in autocross and it has a high ceiling too as you get experienced in the sport. Welcome!
ES #711 Aston Martin V8 MR2 Spyder Vantage