Guidance Going Into 2nd Event

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Chad Zemel

Guidance Going Into 2nd Event

Post by Chad Zemel »

Last weekend, I ran my car (2017 Toyota 86 - no mods) in my first autox event. While I didn't hit a cone or spin out (to my knowledge), I did DNF twice and run through each heat much slower than expected. I'm planning to practice before the next event by driving as close to the lines on the highway as possible for long stretches of time in order to get a feel for how close I can get to cones. I also plan to put up a small course in an abandoned parking lot to try driving slowly through. Does anyone else have guidance for how best to train for an event? I would love to ride passenger with folks in LA (COVID-safely) who have more of a grip on their autox car.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Re: Guidance Going Into 2nd Event

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hey Chad, one of the biggest things that will help newcomers is to take part in the novice course walks we offer in the morning. Having someone guide you through your morning walk can be a huge help in getting you prepared to drive the course at speed. Also, be sure to take advantage of our instructor lanes during your heats. We can provide someone to ride shotgun or even drive for you to help guide you through the course!
Anthony P.
Former CSCC Overall Champion
Car#: 30

Post by Anthony P. »

Yeah, really what Reed said helps. Also, walking course a few times is also beneficial. The goal would be to understand generally where the course goes and to know where the important spots are. As you come out more and more it will get easier to "read" the course. If you want a head start PM me and we can talk about private coaching.
Q V
Solo Safety Steward
Car#: 69

Post by Q V »

If you haven't already, there is a great beginner's guide here (in particular Walk Course & Drive Info): https://5b90ff2a-5d50-4edf-b870-ded23f1 ... dfde7e.pdf

Beyond that, there are the "Speed Secrets" series of books & the good ole classic "Secrets of Solo Racing".

You'll get a lot more from your course walks, ride alongs, & instructor runs after you cover the basics & learn what to look for.
Chad Zemel

Post by Chad Zemel »

Thanks for the speedy responses, Q V, Anthony & Reed!

I got held up in tech for quite a while and missed part of the novice walk during my first AutoX. I'll be sure to get there earlier so that I have time to walk the course a few times.
Jacob Abrams
Car#: 728

Post by Jacob Abrams »

What everyone else is great advice. Definitely read those two books QV recommended.

Beyond that I'd recommend trying both sim racing and karting as two ways to learn car control and racing lines with even less risk at stake.