JDP Driving Program, Year 2 with no events?

General discussions about Solo

Moderator: Mike Simanyi

David Barrish
Club: PSCC
Car#: 58

JDP Driving Program, Year 2 with no events?

Post by David Barrish »

My annual licensing renewal with the SCCA, for both myself and Samual, is paid. When paying it , to the SCCA home office Candice provided me the opportunity to send a request for "relief" on Samuel's portion of the bill. We are still waiting for some sort of public acknowledgment of what to expect in the coming year, how about some financial relief.

"Thank you for the opportunity to provide some feedback on the ongoing restriction of participation for the Juniors in the Karting program with the SCCA.

If the "powers that be" are going to provide a restriction of participation for "all" competitors at every level of experience, with no acknowledgment of their years of competition, I would request a discount of their licensing with the SCCA.

By the nature of the program, they will age out and when appropriate they might continue their driving in a "car" and at that time paying the full price will not be an issue. But with out any guidance on the coming year, how about some consideration for the kids that are waiting to return to "tipping cones?'"

This was sent today, my bill for the coming year is paid. Looking forward to a constructive response.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Re: JDP Driving Program, Year 2 with no events?

Post by Reed Gibson »

It's worth a shot but I wouldn't expect the SCCA to discount memberships for juniors when the program is clearly on hold. Your SCCA membership is not exclusive to just autocross and you're free to not renew until the day before an event.

Personally I just wouldn't renew until I knew there are events that I could participate in. Expecting otherwise would be like asking for a discount on your AAA membership because you didn't use it all year.
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Reed,

Yes, the easy thing to do would be to not pay for his membership but;

1. If they get there act together and restart the program, I send in money, if it happens in the first year and they go back to his original anniversary/start date.hey do not pro rate the balance of the year.

2. The SCCA makes a huge deal about your member ship tenure. With Samuel starting at such a young age he could have years with the club when he chooses to continue and pay for his membership.

It's the small thing that come into focus, when your kids join you in your hobbies.
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion

Post by Reed Gibson »

Considering the SCCA needs money upfront to keep things running it makes sense that they would want members to keep their subscriptions current. However for the new generation of SCCA members (myself and the other pesky millennials), membership tenure doesn't really mean a lot. Value for money is going to be the driver going forward, especially for those of us not sponsored by a long term career or mommy & daddy. If I weren't eligible to take advantage of my membership I wouldn't renew it.

In your case you're buying into the notion that tenure is important. But speaking with your wallet is the easiest way to get the club to take action. If they continue to drag their feet on reinstating JDP, don't pay them. If they lose a ton of revenue from Juniors, then they'll be motivated to get it running again.

Also, don't assume we're all going to have kids. I'd rather have a GT3 8-)
Craig Naylor
Car#: 80

Post by Craig Naylor »

Reed Gibson wrote: Also, don't assume we're all going to have kids. I'd rather have a GT3 8-)
... if only! Like kids were that cheap!
Hi Ly
Car#: 52

Post by Hi Ly »

Craig Naylor wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 7:00 pm
Reed Gibson wrote: Also, don't assume we're all going to have kids. I'd rather have a GT3 8-)
... if only! Like kids were that cheap!
:lol:
Steve Ekstrand
Solo Safety Steward
Club: CASOC
Car#: 15

Post by Steve Ekstrand »

There is frenzied work on JDP being done. But it's a really big ask. I am pessimistic. I've been asked from on high not to be publicly pessimistic. Does that make sense? I'm trying to support whatever gets decided. If there ends up being a National JDP oversight board, I'll apply for it. I stayed an extra year on the Kart AC just to be involved with a transition to a JDP specific safety board if that happens (not the review board operating now). If we do prototype regions, Stacey and I will try to make that happen in Cal Club. The review board has done a tremendous amount of work already. Now they are entering the decision phase on getting approval for their recommendations. An implementation phase would have to follow that. My advice to parents is that all the grand plans take immense time and resources. And this is a tough time anyway. I think it would be bad parenting to bet on early 2021 JDP. Find another outlet. I'd be seeking at least practice days at kart tracks. Sheldon and I can let you know quite a bit about kart track opportunities. Wheel to wheel sprint racing is a big ask for most families. But practice days can give seat time and develop skills to keep kids growing, improving, and interested.
Dr. Conemangler
aka The Malefic One
2015 Wildcat Honda F600
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Steve,

Thank you, both to you and Stacey. If something does brake loose we will need a heads up. Samuel is now 6'3" and has out grown just about everything.

David
David Barrish

Post by David Barrish »

Is it now officially over, the JDP?

I would again like to thank the Ekstrand's, Steve and Stacey as well as Robert Baltazar for all their help and guidance during our time in this program.

Now, time to get a car ready for Samuel.