Class, Number, Helmet

If you're new to autocross, new to the forum or need a hand with what class you should be in, ask for help here.

Moderators: Mike Simanyi, Leonard Cachola

Steve Bunnell
Car#: 701

Class, Number, Helmet

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Hi everyone!

I ran in a few autoX events back in 2012 for the first time. Had to leave when 2013 rolled around, but I'm back now and excited to start up again. Even dug up my original 2011 Cal Club forum login credentials! I have a few questions I'm hoping someone can answer for me:

1) I have a Miata ND RF with aftermarket sway bars on the front AND rear. From what I can tell, this bumps me into "Street Touring STR." Does that sound about right?

2) Also, I used to run with number 701. I'd like to order magnetic numbers and would like to know if 701 is still available or taken? I clicked the "Points Card Listings" link on the Cal Club "Get Started in 8 Easy Steps" web page, but this just takes me to a Google Docs/Sheets page that says the file has been deleted. Does anyone know how I can check what numbers are available currently?

3) Finally, I'm looking for a light, open face helmet south of $550. I found the G Force Nova OF – SA2020 is 3 lbs. Does anyone know of a helmet lighter than this that they like? This one seems to be one of the lightest I've seen after a few days of searching. I also like the look of the Pyrotech Pro Airflow Open Face Carbon SA2020, but was surprised to read it is 7 lbs.

If I can get a helmet in time, I hope to see you all April 10th if there is still room to register. If not, I'll be out there the following months for sure!

Thank you,
Steve
--
2020 Miata ND RF, Flyin' Miata Sway Bars, Livin' the Dream
Steve Coe
Club: CASOC
Car#: 75

Re: Class, Number, Helmet

Post by Steve Coe »

I can't help on all the stuff, but as far as helmets go I use a Zamp very comfortable and inexpensive.
https://zamp-racing.com/rz18h

Steve
Reed Gibson
Current CSCC Overall Champion
Club: SCNAX

Post by Reed Gibson »

Hi Steve,

Looks like we need to update the webpage to send you to the updated MSR landing page which you can find here: https://www.motorsportreg.com/orgs/scca/socal-solo-ii

You can use the 2021 Points card event to snag your desired number, it looks like 701 is still free!

As for your car, you're correct that your second sway bar bumps you into STR. Ditch one of the bars and you can run in Street Class.

Finally for helmets, it's all personal preference. IMO spending extra money for an ultralight carbon helmet wasn't worth it for me for my 60 second autocross run or even my 20 minute track sessions. Your best bet is to go try as many helmets on as you can. I'd look at Simpson World in Torrance and Winding Road Racing in Santa Ana to try some helmets on in person. Otherwise you'll just be guessing.
Steve Bunnell
Car#: 701

Post by Steve Bunnell »

Thanks Steve! That Zamp helmet is just the thing I've been looking for. I bought the flat black one straight away. Hope it fits!

Thanks for answering my questions, Reed! Very helpful. I'll go ahead and purchase magnet numbers for STR. I'll most likely stay in Street Touring as I love having both sway bars on the car for my daily drive and don't really mind what class I'm in. I ultimately just want to drive amongst the orange cones on the weekends, hang out with others that love to do the same, and have fun!

I found my old login credentials to the Cal Club website and updated all my info. Also found the 2021 Points Card event on the website and purchased good old 701. Hopefully no one else snagged it today before I did! If all goes well, I'll order my magnetic numbers this weekend and hopefully get a spot at the April 10th event! Hope I see you guys out there. Was excited to go try on some helmets, as you suggested Reed, but I'll see how the Zamp fits first. The price was too good to pass up!

Thanks again, you two, for your assistance with all my questions. Have a great weekend!
-Steve
--
2020 Miata ND RF, Flyin' Miata Sway Bars, Livin' the Dream